Lack of a running game helping Sanchez development

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Gator, Oct 2, 2009.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Remove the 3 longest carries Jones had, and the 3 longest carries Leon had... and what are you left with?

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

OMG, Edge. That video has me really pumped, man. This guy is unbelievable. I want Greene on Sunday, Rex!

3. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Not a good reflection of performance.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

#44 legler82, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  5. legler82

If we went around removing running backs long carries, a guy like Barry Sanders would look like worst running back that ever played.

6. legler82

Do you think Greene is faster than Jones?

7. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Whatever the fucking case may be, We need to put Greene on the field.
    See what this kid's made of.

8. salex77

salex77 New Member

Running attack

Yes I agree that Sanchez has been playing very well with a lack of an actual strong running attack like Baltimore had when Rex Ryan was with the Ravens. It seems like we should give Shonn green an opportunity to play some too and see what he can do!

9. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

I would like to see what Green can do but....

We can't have a rookie RB and QB in the game at the same time, can we?

Unless we are rolling out Adrian Peterson in the back field, a team stacking the line are going to stop any running back. Teams are forcing Dirty to win games for us and he has responded.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think it's time to see what Greene can do.

11. retthib

retthib New Member

A running game is a QBs best friend. IMO, the play action pass is still the best weapon in FB and is more effective when the running game is clicking.

So I dont think the lack of a running game is helping Sanchez be effective. I think you guys dominant D has got more to do w/ that. You guys D allows the OC to take chances w/ Sanchez knowing the D can back him up if he makes a mistake. Alot of teams dont have that luxury, so they will run on 3rd down, where you guys will throw on 3rd and if MS makes a mistake, the D will have his back.

12. xxedge72x

Why is it not a good reflection of performance? Every running back breaks off a tremendous run once in a while... it's not indicative of their average run.

Hell, let's make this more fair.

Remove the 3 best runs from both backs, and remove the 3 worst runs from both backs, that way you cut out the outliers and rely completely on the median to get a sense of what they do on a per play basis.

I guarantee you Leon still is outperforming Jones by a lot.

Two long runs in garbage time means nothing, which is exactly what Jones has done. In time that matters, Jones has been all but ineffective.

13. xxedge72x

This is idiotic at best. Sanders was tremendous on every run, not on the occasional run where he'd break through.

14. xxedge72x

I think Greene is younger and quicker than Jones, and though we have yet to see him in NFL live fire, I'd rather the Jets gave him a shot to show his stuff then continue to pound Jones for anything from -2 to 2 yards each carry.

15. xxedge72x

This is a good post though I'd like to see the Jets try the play action when Jones is in the game once in a while. With teams crowding up to hit Jones every time he's in the game I think that might actually work despite Jones not running well.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

the simple fact that this thread has remained talking about RBs to improve our O for 3 pages is proof positive that dirty sanchize is the real deal.

17. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Sorry but taking out the longest runs is horseshit. That is not how statistical average and analysis works in the run game.

The object of the run is to pound and pound, soften up the defense and then finally break one for big distance. You start taking out long runs for any RB, it really is disingenuous and silly. Jones long runs are in fact working against you.

A team getting tired out from defensing the run in conjunction with having to respect the pass is in for trouble. Jones took advantage of that, why penalize him? That makes zero sense.

Edit: Two things.....

1.) I think Leon can be an every down back as there is plenty of precedence of someone his size doing it. Also on the face of it is a much more dangerous weapon when compared to Jones.

2.) Jones can block very well for a RB. This is very under-rated by this forum for having a rookie QB.

#57 Miamipuck, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  18. retthib

retthib New Member

IMO, play action works even if the running game isnt, as long as the commitment to run is still there. So I would agree w/ what you said.

19. Keithnyj

Keithnyj Member

Grenne would really help our running game no doubt...But Im enjoying our lack of rushing and the developement of Sanchez

20. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

The one thing that has to be keeping Greene on the sidelines is his pass blocking. a RB can't play if he can't protect the QB. Once Greene can do this I am sure that he will be getting a fair share of carries.