Shonn Greene

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by stugots, Sep 27, 2009.

1. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

You guys are all high. Jones carries the football well, and if he keeps getting the bulk of the carries his stats will probably look a lot like they did last year. Leon is # 2 and as long as we have this two headed beast in NY, Greene is going to be on the sideline and should be taking notes. Jones is the truth.

Actually Sanchez is the truth, but at the moment Jones has a greater potential of positively affecting the game than the shonnanator.

2. Coach K

Coach K New Member

bingo i was just telling someone how we need to pound the ball this game regardless of the YPC up to that point and we will eventually wear them down.

long as sanchez can limit turnovers and remain clutch that is the recipe for the win this week.

easier said than done but very do-able.

3. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

Greene will be important in our offense once the weather gets worse. We'll need a power north-south guy who doesn't fumble in November and December.

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

THIS, my friend, is why we need to get Greene some experience now. It's also a good idea in case Jones goes down. Either way, you don't want to be sticking a rookie in there cold, without at least some carries.

I've been thinking about that but you beat me to it. Greene needs to go in now (and I think Ryan knows it). Perhaps Greene's rib injury needs a little more time, I'm not sure, but there is really no other explanation as to why you would not insert him in there to share the carries with Jones right now.

I don't want to go into aplayoff game with a rookie RB who never handled the ball before in an NFL game.

5. nyjrkm06

nyjrkm06 Active Member

I have to believe there is a huge chance hE gets about 5 carries this week in NO. it's been almost 6 weeks since we've seeen him take a carry

6. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

no matter who carries the ball, the o-line blocking has to get better.:shit:

7. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Playing RB isn't like playing QB, why does he need experience? Rookie RBs always come into the league and make an impact, I trust the coaching staff, Greene hasn't played because they didn't think it was whats best for the team.

Everyone on this board seems to think they know more about running a team than Rex Ryan, the guy has us at 3-0 with a rookie QB, the man knows what he's doing.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He was a high pick, they traded up to get him..it isn't like we are tearing up the league with our current running game..i'de like to see him carry the ball just once before he retires. It's game 4.

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I am speculating that he is not very good at picking up blitzes on passing plays. So if he cannot, it simply limits the offense. But that is just a guess on my part.

10. aychichi

aychichi Member

Agreed....

11. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Rex has shown with his use of making guys active and inactive that he will use the players who gives him the best chance to win depending on the opponent. I would imagine the game plan against the Saints will be to run the ball a lot so I think Greene will get some time.

But the bottom line is, he's the 3rd string running back. As long as the team is winning, who cares?

12. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

I agree completely, just trying to justify Rex Ryan's thinking.

Greene was the 2nd best back in the Draft IMO and it's a crime not to be playing him right now. Jones goes down right after contact almost every time. Greene looks for contact and knocks the - out of defenders.

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

He'll get his chance, but I need to see it during a regular season game.

14. Gator

Gator Active Member

The more games you watch, the more times you see a RB get the ball, there is no hole, and he bounces it outside for a gain. Jones has yet to do that this year.

15. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Throw in last year also. I think he's older and incapable of bouncing outside and he knows it. He's also looking for a paycheck for several years to come, and that requires staying healthy. "Hit the hole but take the dive when first touched. Don't need no injuries here." I'm sorry, but that's the way I see it.

Hey, I'm not knocking Jones for everything he's done in the NFL and for us also, I'm just saying it's time to get an underpaid rook in here and give him some time to see what he wants to show. Anything wrong with that?

16. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I'm as anxious to see what Greene can do as anyone, but I have to agree with those that have suggested that Rex probably has a good reason for not having played him yet. Perhaps he either just isn't healthy enough yet or, as Hemi suggested, isn't proficient enough at picking up blitzers to protect the rookie QB. Who knows.

If Greene isn't active this week, what about just giving more carries to LW? He's certainly showed more explosiveness than Jones so far. Maybe giving Leon more of the load would light a fire under Jones' ass just as much as bringing in Greene would.

In any case, I have confidence in the coaching staff at this point. I'm sure they already have a plan in place. It will be interesting to see how they choose to play it come Sunday.

17. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

That is my best guess as well. Plus, we're not privy to what's going on during the week in practice. Maybe he's putting the ball on the ground, who knows. I would like to see a glimpse of his talent, but not at the expense of him missing a blocking assignment and get Sanchez killed...

18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it doesn't all have to do with Greene's abilities.

We have a rookie QB and it makes sense to put around him people with experience. having both a rookie QB and a rookie RB in the backfield is a liabilty... yeah I'm sure Greene could run twice as hard as TJ, but in protection or in being an escape option for Sanchez TJ right now is way better.
    You also forget to mention that up to now all the games have been pretty close... let's wait until we play an opponent which is 15 points down by the 4th Quarter... when that happens Greene will start taking some reps.

19. Sanchez All Day

Sanchez All Day New Member

I can see Greene becoming a bigger factor later in the season...those fresh legs will be a huge asset..

20. salex77

salex77 New Member

Shonn green

They need to start using this kid green from Iowa! He would be great in goal line situations or short yardage situations! This kid can explosive and has size and certainlybe used with washington and Jones.