containing the saints

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetRizing89, Sep 27, 2009.

1. LSUsaintsfanla

LSUsaintsfanla New Member

this really does deserve CBS's a team. its going to be a great game.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So we're getting Simms and Nantz? That would be nice. If I have to listen to Deirdorf this week, the TV is going on Mute.

3. GreenMachine

The Rams had a pretty good RB at the time. Some guy named Faulk I think

4. GreenMachine

maybe he can say we kicked a player or say " Welcome to the NFL rookie" 1 week after he called the rookies second game

5. CM84

CM84 New Member

For the questions on what changed:

First, we'll start with firing our Defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs. He ran the defense bend but dont break (which in the end always breaks). He NEVER blitzed, maybe once or twice a game. He was terrible DC. Our coach Sean Payton took a pay cut to be able to hire GW as the DC.

Greg Williams has brought a new agressive attitude to our defense. Now we are agressive as opposed to passive with Gibbs. He allows players to react and make plays. He's change our focus to creating turnovers. You will see often we will try to attempt to strip your players. Creating turnovers also gives our great offense more opportunities which is bad news for opponents.

After getting Williams the first goal was to revamp the secondary. We did, improve vastly. First we got rid of Josh Bullocks (i dont know if yall seen him play, but complete garbage) and then we cut ties with probably the worst CB i have seen, Jason David. I kid you not, Jets fans you dont understand how terrible those 2 were. We upgraded jus by subtracting. We improved the secondary with Sharper (although he's getting up in age, you can tell he still plays at a high level). We got Jabari Greer, whose been pretty impressive so far. Got Porter back after missing every game but 4 in is rookie year (Porter is a good player if you havent seen him). We also drafted Malcolm Jenkins with our first pick (he had the strip the past 2 weeks, which one really put us in control of the eagles game). We went out improved our biggest weakness from the past few years and was probably the worst secondary in the league for the past few years.

They major diffence is we bring pressure now and blitz. We have a stong emphasis on creating turnovers and we do. And we improved of DBs, which has been the main reason we havent been able to get in the playoffs the past 2 seasons.

On offense is a lot more balance, now. We didnt need improve much in this area since we were the #1 in total offense and scoring last year. But, the running game as been clicking on cyclinders. Also, we lost 2 games on FG kicking last year. Even though hes as old as my grandpa, Carney would have won us 2 games last year.

Also, last I think we had more injuries than any other team, last year.

Im not blowing smoke up my teams ass. But to answer the question the 2009 team is much improved compared to 2008.

6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Yeah but I don' think they were a dominant (top 5) running team with him. He was an excellent running back but what made his special was his ability as a receiver.

7. Coach K

Coach K New Member

his point was that Faulk is leaps and bounds better than any RB on their roster so the comparisons are premature.

at least thats what I've gotten out of it.

and Faulk was ELITE as a RB, if he wanted to or if it was in the game plan he couldve run for much more yards.

but theres no need to average 1,600 yards a year when you can instead put up 1,000 rushing and 1,000 receiving at the same time, YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No. Our LB's need to show up and send Brees for an MRI.

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yes. We have already made three good teams look bad. Not so much the Titans, but we played them twice in 9 football weeks so a divisionllike game was to be expected.

This should be good

10. ........

........ Trolls

They were indeed a Top 5 rushing team. 5th in the league in yards their Super Bowl season, and 2nd in YPC. In fact, they were 1st or 2nd in YPC each season from 1999 - 2001, aka the years of the Greatest Show on Turf.

11. GreenMachine

Yep...Stats are bullshit though...:beer:

12. retthib

retthib New Member

We are very familiar with Jenkins from his Carolina days. we have a very serviceable center in Goodwin & the best young guard tandem in the league w/ Evans and Nicks.

I watched you guys play TEN and was very impressed w/ the D, especially in the 4th Q. Thwecrowd had the D going crazy. Im expecting the same from our D. You guys are catching a tough break playing us in the dome after 2 away games anda 3:00 start. The crowd will be crazy, Sanchez will struggle.

As good as you guys D has performed thus far, so have ours. We went into a prevent D the last 2 quarters of our first 2 games, dont let the yards fool you. We showed against BUF what we can do as a unit when playing hard nose D for 4 quarters. The BUF game hasgiven our D alot of confidence, I expect thesame showing against the Jets, especially at home.

Our running game is clicking. If you stay in nickel formations, we will run. Dont think your gonna blitz Brees and not get eventually burnt.

All our D has to do is contain you guys running game, put pressure on Sanchez until Brees & co. can get a short field and a big play.

I really think our D can contain you guys O until Brees can exploit Lowery, and he will.

We wont crush you guys, but I dont see, the way our D is playing, how you guys can outscore us. Once we get a lead, Sanchez will press and the crowd noise will force an overthrow and Sharper will be waiting. Porter & Greer will shutdown the WRs and Vilma is out for blood.

On a sidenote, considering Gregg Williams is a Buddy Ryan disciple, I dont think you guys can show too many things that GW hasnt shown to Brees in OTAs and practices.

Good luck and I hope no injuries for both teams.

And especially good luck against the Falclowns, Fuccaneers & Kitty Kats.

We will take care of the Phins & Pats for you guys, the sameway we did BUF.

And beware of a player named Morestead.

13. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

We need to be full strength. We need Strick back and Sheppard and our D will be swarming and i wanna see what the saints D is really made of. It will be a good game.

14. retthib

retthib New Member

Whats the deal w/ Sheppard? What kind of injury does he have? Was he playing well before the injury? I always liked Lito and actually was hoping the Saints would get him when the Iggles signed Asante Samuels, but Loomis didnt make it happen.

15. fr0zensm0ke

fr0zensm0ke Member

I'm not trying to knock the Saints... I actually like rooting for them when they don't play the Jets.... but shutting down the Buffalo offense (or lack there-of) isn't exactly a difficult feat. Their number 1 RB is suspended, their quarterback is vastly inconsistent, and their offensive line is amongst the weakest in the NFL. Don't get too over-confident from shutting them down. Not to say that our offense is as prolific as some other teams in the NFL, but I would put us leaps and bounds ahead of the Bills.

16. retthib

retthib New Member

And I totally agree w/ you except the fact about their #1 RB. Fred Jackson was tearing it up the first couple games. IIRC, he had 165 yds in the week 2 game, thats really good regardless of the opponent.

If you would have seen our D the last 2 years, you would understand my excitement for our D. We had 15 INTs all of last year, we have 7 thru 3 games this year. We have given up 2 big plays that resulted in TDs, 1 to Calvin Johnson when the rookie Jenkins came in for an injured Porter and 1 to Desean jackson on the 1st series of the Philly game. In previous years, we gave up 3-4 big plays for TDs a game.

I think our D needed a game like BUF to prove to themselves they can be dominant. I dont see them taking a step back against a rookie QB, on the road, w/ average weapons.

Im derfinately not trying to bash the Jets, yalls defense is tough, but if we play solid STs and take care of the ball, I dont see how you guys O can keep up. We just have too many weapons.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i love the fact that most saints fans arent worried about Jenkins cause theyve seen him play them in Carolina.

things change, he didnt even want to be there and its now showing cause that team is a sinking ship. will see come sunday when their center is reeling back half the time.

and even better that New Orleans fans when going over their analysis, all they really say is "your d is good, and sanchez will be rattled. but OUR d is good too".

then they go on to babble about EVERYTHING that will go right for them. face the facts, one of your facets will be shut down.

and i think their defense is VASTLY improved from last year but i thought they fielded a HS defense last year so anything is an upgrade.

and you can harp about Gregg Williams and his aggressive 4-3 scheme. consisting of DL stunts and pressure up the middle. hell we played the guy two times as year when he was HC in BUF and his MO for his scheme hasnt changed carried over to WAS.

let your all world defense come blitzing sanchez and prepare to see a player you wish Reggie Bush was, Leon Washington.

Simply put, I'll believe their run game when I see it. I saw alot of those replays where St.Thomas busted the big runs. the Bills d looked gassed, tired, and couldnt even come off their blocks.

you wont be playing the bills this weekend and youll wish you wouldve.

although I will say I have the utmost respect for Will Smith and Darren Sharper. Sanchez will get picked if he tries to get cute cause Sharper is no fuckin joke even at his age now. 57 Career INT's is not to be taken lightly.

that being said, EVERY single team we've faced thus far has loaded the box and tried to make Sanchez look stupid. Minus the ball security issues last week all the kid has done is adjust and make all the throws when it matters.

and anyone who wants to tell me the Saints defense is better than TEN, someone mustve slipped something into the bayou water.

18. mc4saints

mc4saints New Member

I guess I earned a quote button Today!!

Here is good stats for you guys from a fellow Saints Fans - StJacques.

I realize the game is played on the field and throw out stats, but this is good info to back my earlier posts:

Saints offense in dome vs. Jets defense >> Jets offense on road vs. Saints Defense.

* The Jets have played the Texans, Patriots, and Titans; 3 teams whose total offense rankings are nos. 11, 16, and 19 respectively (average rank = 15.3) and the average margin of victory for the Jets is 10.3 pts. The Saints have played the Lions, Eagles, and Bills; 3 teams whose total offense rankings are nos. 3, 12, and 18 respectively (average rank = 11) and the average margin of victory for the Saints is 21.3 pts.

Observation: We have played better offenses than the Jets and won by more points.

* The Jets opponents, taken in order (see above), are 3 teams whose total defense rankings are nos. 32, 6, and 18 (average rank = 18.7) and the Jets offense is ranked no. 20. The Saints opponents, taken in order (see above), are 3 teams whose total defense rankings are nos. 27, 5, and 28 (average rank = 20) and the Saints offense is ranked no. 1.

Observation: Though the Jets have played teams with marginally better defenses overall, their offense is ranked two spots below the average rank of their opponents' defenses while the Saints offense is ranked 19 spots above the average rank of the defenses of their opponents.

* The Jets have played one road game and two home games; the Saints have played one home game and two road games.

Observation: Our 3-0 record is more improbable than that of the Jets owing to homefield advantage.

I think these three overall comparisons are worthwhile.

19. Coach K

Coach K New Member

youve played the Lions, and an Eagle team without one of the best QB's in the last decade. with Kolb getting his first EVER career start. and a much improved but highly consistent Bills team (their OL is a joke, Fred Jackson is just running like a madman. TO cant catch or get open like he used to, and if thats not the problem Edwards throwing is inconsistent.)

i think thats a comparison worth mentioning. listen I have alot of respect for the Saints and think this will be one of our toughest games of the year and the Saints barring major injuries are a lock for the divisional rd of the playoffs in a weak conference.

that being said i think Saints fans are placing themselves on a pedestal after playing the Lions, the Bills, and a compromised Eagles team.

im not saying I EXPECT us to come in and win instantly. im saying this game could go either way and i dont see anyone breaking the 30 point mark.

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

You are posing numbers on offensive rank. Numbers based on PLAYING THE JETS.