Reality check: We must improve our run game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets4EverOnTop, Sep 24, 2009.

1. NYJets4EverOnTop

As overjoyed as I am about our 2-0 start, for us to continue winning we need to improve the running game. Aside for a few break away runs by Jones in week1 our run game was almost non-existent and we didn't do much against the Pats (a defense the Bills ran all over with Mayo in there), especially in the first half. We all love our O-Line and talk about how great they are, it's time for them to show it by starting to dominate the LOS. As great as our D has played, it's not gonna be able to win us games against the Saints and other high powered offenses alone. I'm going to be paying a lot of attention this week to how effective our run game is against the Titans.

2. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Uh oh, bring on the tidal wave.

3. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

TJ should have a good game. 15+ carries probably.

4. Lamb Jones

Lamb Jones New Member

Let me see. Jones led the league last year, Leon is probably better than him, we have one of if not the best offensive line in football and your worried about the running game. If I was worried, which I'm not, I'd worrry about a rookie quarterback and no proven game breaking wide receivers.

5. NYJets4EverOnTop

All that you just described looks great on paper. Now lets see our run game consistently overpower an NFL defense this year. Key word being consistently.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Whoa, duder. I just got deja vu.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

We are seventh in the league with 307yds in two games, 72 total attempts for an average of 4.2yds per attempt. Add the two TDs we've scored on those attempts, and you're worried about the running game? With only notable teams like the Cowboys, Ravens and Titans ahead of us, I'd say we look pretty solid.

8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Can't argue that our run offense has been probably the worst of the four phases. I have faith they'll get things straightened bout...esp since theyre giving Leon more touches...that guy's not going to be TDless for long, he has too much game-breaking ability.

The other thing is, teams are stacking the line against us. I really think early in the game (DEF the first play) we should go play action deep to loosen up the D, then pound their faces in with the running game.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I know. We need to improve from 7th in the league to atleast the 1st in the league if not better. 307 yards rushing is just not gonna cut it for us.

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Ur sign should say "We Are Back Bitches!"

12. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I don't understand why some don't realize that the opposing teams are stacking the box challenging Sanchez to put the ball in the air. Our OC is protecting him, and until we establish a passing game, we will continue to see defenses stacking the box. pssst, I have no problem with Schotty bringing Sanchez along slowly, but we should start seeing him open up shortly.

What that means is that the opposing teams are taking our backs out of the game. They are reading our RB's first. VERRRRRRRRRRRRY hard to run against that.

13. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Fuck me bloody! We don't have 700 yards rushing yet! We're fucked!

14. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

had a thread about this and how wrong you are.

15. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I don't think he's wrong. I want to see our running game carry the offense and score a TD or two each week. We're going it's only 2 weeks though, so we'll see.

And whoever said Leon is better than Jones needs to think twice. Maybe in Madden, maybe.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We'll find out this week.

The Titans actually have a reasonable run defense, although they've been so bad against the pass it's hard to be sure. If the Jets try to run against them and can't then we know we have an issue.

17. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

In reality, Thomas Jones is really only good at one thing: being durable.

Certainly there is something to be said for durability in this league, but as far as athletic skill is concerned, Leon >>>>>>>>>>> Jones.

18. Lamb Jones

Lamb Jones New Member

I'll take Leon over Jones but arguing over who's better between those guys is a good problem to have.

19. crypter

crypter New Member

Any one who did not know the Big D was going to carry us till the offense got they legs under them was dreaming .

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

The running game is fine. TJ and Leon pretty much split carries, and were over 100 yards last week.