Can we compete next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LockDown24, May 1, 2006.

1. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

I'm really beginning to think that we will be able to compete next year. Going back, the reason why we did so poorly was because injuries decimated the offensive line, which led to injuries to our QBs and RBs. Our defense was fine and with a solid oline (a healthy Chad wouldn't hurt either) I really think that we will be able to give other teams a hard time. I'm not saying were gonna make the playoffs but with a weak schedule and few injuries, I don't think 8-8 is out of the question, even if Patrick Ramsey has to start.

2. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

it depends how the defense transitions, especially if dewayne can play NT

if we get 3 guys on the line that can free up our LBs we will be in every game

if teague is decent at C and someone can play a decent RT, an oline of brick, mangold, teague, kendall, RT(?) we will win at least as many as we lose

3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Teague won't be center...Mangold will start as a rookie...count on it...I think this team will contend if Pennington/Ramsey can get it done. If the QB's are fine I expect 9 maybe 10 wins...

Peace
    The Mezz

4. GreenMachine

mezzavo=the anti championjets69

5. Arizona Jet Fan

Arizona Jet Fan New Member

solid points...I feel the same way.....it kind of was like a snowball effect last year

6. Bomber

Bomber New Member

I think defensively we are going to struggle...especially against offensive teams laden with speedy players. We will be alright against the run, but not great because we don't really have a big presence in the guts for our defence to really stuff the run.

When offensive coaches look at our defence they will feel they will be able to get us passing.

This draft was all about our offence....and the good thing about that is that hopefully it will mean our defence will be spending less time on the field.

Our offence needed a big makeover, and we got it.....I expect us to lose a lot of games early in the year, but to come home strong in the second half of the season. I think a marginally better win loss ratio than last year....maybe 5 or 6 games in the w column.

I have real hope for the Jets now, whatever happens next season: finally I feel we have people in charge who are true football people who are about bringing a title back to New York for the Jets. We won't get there next season, nor probably the season after, and mistakes will be made along the way: but finally we are back on track and back on the map.

7. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

That I am Green...and not nearly as crotchety...LOL

#7 mezzavo, May 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2005
  8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

anything is possible in the nfl

9. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

if teague isnt C, than im not impressed by our G or RT spot, but someone will emerge

i dont know abbout 9-10 wins, ill hope for that. we should nail BUF twice at least and split with miami

we werent as bad as our record showed last year, we had a lot of close games with a garbage QB and no oline and a stupid X O head coach

10. 1028

1028 Active Member

I think 7-9 would be a fair prediction, possibly 8-8.

11. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

don't count on the jets competing this year

i.t all comes down to the q.b. situation.how goes the q.b.so goes the team.pennington needs a miricale to recover and compete.ramsey is a ? and clemens is a rookie.bollinger will be history,so there it is in a nutshell.the rest of the offense is also up in the air.in other words the jets have a long way to go.

12. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

There are real problems with this team - we're going to have intermittent pass rush at best, we're trying out a completely different scheme in the front seven, we've got no idea who or how good our QB is going to be, and our RB situation is spotty.

This, however, is why all those "WTF HOW CULD U PASS ON LEINHART!!111" complaints were silly. We should be looking to show big improvement in 2006, but certainly not to compete. There are just too many holes. We did a real good job of laying the foundation this week, but this is a reclaimation project to be sure.

7-9 should be our target. 8-8 would be great. 9-7 would be an absolute coup.

13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

i see us being similar to the dolphins last year.....we have a lot of young talent, some guys who can hopefully take that next step and reach their real potential, and some nice veterans on our roster, but we are certainly changing up a lot of things on both sides of the ball with the new regime and all.......so yes, i think we can compete for a playoff spot/divison championship, but it wouldn't suprise me if we only manage 6 wins either ....i am really looking forward to this season after last year's debacle.....hopefully the first step of the future dynasty known as the New York Jets!!

#13 King Koopa, May 1, 2006
    Last edited: May 1, 2006
  14. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

I don't expect much from the Jets next season. They could go 2-14 for all I care, as long as they show improvement on a weekly basis.

D'Brickashaw and Mangold may start right away, but I don't expect them to provide immediate relief for the line woes. It's unrealistic to expect rookies to come right in and dominate. They'll be learning the game on their feet, so they get a pass for next season.

The offense in general is still not very good. There are a couple question marks at QB with Pennington and Ramsey, and a good deal of the team's success will rest on how well they play. I'm crossing my fingers that at least one of them will be able to hold the fort till Clemens is ready. Martin got old real quick, and our backups aren't starter material. Runningback by committee seems like the way it'll go. Our WRs are a mediocre group. We still haven't found anyone to replace the awful McCareins.

Defensively, the scheme change is even more drastic, moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4. We don't even have a true NT, so I don't know how this is going to work out. I'm not sure where the pass rush will come from, since we also were unable to replace John Abraham (our only pass rushing threat last season). If we can get a more consistent performance out of Barrett, the secondary should be pretty solid with Dyson, Coleman, and Rhodes.

I suppose 5-6 wins would be a fair expectation.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't know, I think teague at least starts the year unless Mangold blows them away in camp. There's a chance both start w/ 1 at G but I think teague is starting.

YES I think we can compete, our biggest weakness was Ol and through FA and the draft it now appears to be a big strength. we have 3 RBs who can run, we have good WRs, good TEs and still have lot of talent on a good, young D. There will always be an adjustment to a mostly new staff, systems, etc... and we have some young coaches so expect some growing pains but we'll be a decent team barring disastrous injuries like last year.

16. Gunther

Gunther Member

we have 3 RBs who can run, we have good WRs, good TEs and still have lot of talent on a good, young D.

Good young D, I can agree with that, but that's where it stops.
    WR's are decent nothing to brag about.
    TE's are a joke, Rookie TE's did better than ours combined.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Coles had a great yera considering he had 5 QBs throwing to him, McCareins was our go to guy in '04 and look for him to bounce back, Cotch should be alot better, at TE baker is a solid all around TE while Jolley is a good receiving threat and Dreesen is developing. I don't look at #s comoparing thr TEs, remember we had 5 QBs playing and w/ a horrible, beat up Ol we couldn't run or throw so of course the #s are going to be bad.

18. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Compete next year? Well, I think we will do better. I think the biggest hole left is defensively against the run. Don't forget, we were around 29th against the run last year. You can argue that we were 12th overall, but the number is is misleading. Teams didn't really have to pass on us because they knew they could run and just wear us out that way.

We addressed the linebacker positions prepping for the 3-4. I think we will have some presence rushing the QB, but only if we disguise our blitzes well. As far as the front line goes, some rush, but nothing overpowering. I think teams will still be able to run on us in the sense of getting into the defensive backfield. They will be able to run for almost 4 yards at a clip on average. That is a bit too high to contain most offenses.

Offensively, I see us being better. Nothing too flashy; just grind it out football.

Record: 7-9 realistic. 8-8 decent. 9-7 over-achieved for the year.

19. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Can we still sign anybody?

If so, I can see us going 9-7 or 10-6 IF we sign somebody else.

However with the current team we have, I'd rank us an avg. 8-8 team....

which is much better than a 4-12 team. :beer:

20. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I don't consider 8-8 "competing." Maybe my standards are too high, but an 8-8 season is a lousy season, IMO. I think we're capable of 8-8 or 9-7 with a little luck, given the fact that it's Mangini's first year as HC and there's a lot on his plate, but it won't be for lack of working hard and smart and relentlessly. I'll go to every game this year with the attitude that this is all a learning and cultivating process, weeding out the less competitive players while gaining experience on game day. It should all start to really come together the following year ('07-'08).

Of course, with a lot of luck and a little help from the faltering Patriots and a Ricky-less Miami, anything's possible!