Rex starting to lose patience with Gladys?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Sep 15, 2009.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/118870

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I think Ryan believes Westerman is clearly a better player then Gholston.

Sooner or later, hes just gonna tell Vernon this.

3. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Rex is all about being a players coach to the fullest but when criticism is warranted he has to say.

4. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

There was no reason to gush over Gholston's performance yesterday. Ryan told it like it is. Gholston did some good things on the field but at times needs to get more nasty and make more hits. I wouldn't read too much into it.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

This is why snippet sites are crapola. The actual article it ripped from says:

Of course the paragraph where I bolded some didn't appear on that site, but why would it? It doesn't serve the point trying to be made as well. :rolleyes:

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Hes got 3 more weeks to really prove something to Rex

7. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

What Alio said. Rex didn't sound disappointed in Gholston in the press conference.. he was just pointing out what he did well and what he could improve upon.

8. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Well, this Westerman obviously looks like a steal, but he's clearly only serving to show what a colossal waste of money Gholston has been.

Ryan was brought in partly because the team wants to realize some portion of its disastrous investment. I think the time for kid gloves is over, and you're going to see a lot more honesty from Rex, especially if Westerman continues to shine.

Gholston basically has a four week window to show something until he's buried on the depth chart. I think he knows that. Enough of the kids stuff.

-X-

9. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Thanks for that Alio. I had a whole paragraph lined up talking about some of this might be taken out of context. Lo and behold...

I'm actually happy with how involved Gholston has been. He'll get it together. He will def get a sack in before Pace returns.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets putting all of the pressers on the official site really undermines the media's attempts to portray out of context quotes in a negative light.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

If Gholston gets his first sack on Tom Brady, then i imagine the stadium cheering the kid for 3 minutes.

12. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

I am not surprised at this at all...please see my previous post entitles Westerman > Gholston...

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

14. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

So far, Gholston has not shown much aggressiveness on the field. He doesn't look for contact. He doesn't have a mean streak.

Can these things be taught or these tendencies changed?

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

way to read the rest of the thread. less time patting yourself on the back, more time actually understanding the truth of the situation.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Gholston showed us nothing yesterday that an undrafted free agent couldn't have. The difference is that if the undrafted free agent had had that game he'd be on the bubble to get cut when Pace comes back.

Seriously, there's an expectations bubble that Gholston is enveloped in that makes average to slightly below average play look worse than it really is, but on the other hand what exactly is he showing Ryan and the coaches to keep him on the team?

If he'd been a 5th round pick and shown what he's shown to date he probably would have gotten cut last year in camp, this year in camp and whenever the roster spot is needed.

If Westerman keeps standing out and Gholston keeps blending into the background the Jets are going to have a nasty decision on their hands at some point.

17. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

In all honesty, that will probably come in three weeks. This guy has to get after the quarterback or realistically, he's going to be buried behind Westerman and Izzo and Murrell. It's the only skill he really has, and if he can't use it, he's pretty much useless.

-X-

18. ReD LiNe

ReD LiNe New Member

I think you just made the point. Gholston was the #6 pick in the draft, you don't give up on players like that as quickly as you might a 5th round pick.

19. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Sometimes players take more time to develop than normal. Maybe the Ghost is just that guy with tons of potential that takes a long time to realized how to use it. I thought last game was a step forward but not a leap forward for him.

20. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

No kidding. we're already paying him, so if the defense keeps it up and looks good, why not get behind the kid instead of engraving his Jets tombstone?