The Cuts We Can Use Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Sep 4, 2009.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Post any significant cuts from around the league that could be useful on the Jets roster. For example, a veteran WR, a veteran OL, a punter, or anyone who could help the team. I didn't see another thread quite like this posted so I figured we could use one. Post a link along with it too...

Here's the first one I could find.. Dan Buenning, OG, Chicago

Bears | Buenning to be released
    Fri, 04 Sep 2009 11:39:44 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears have informed OG Dan Buenning that he will be released.

This guy was a starter in Tampa for a while and would certainly improve depth on this line, which we all know is shaky.

Tracker
    - Dan Buenning, OG, Chicago
    - Billy Yates, G/C, New England
    - Damien Macintosh, OT, Kansas City
    - Eric Ghiachuc, C, Kansas City
    - Oliver Ross, OT, Arizona
    - Melvin Fowler, C, Arizona

- Amani Toomer, WR, Kansas City
    - Ronald Curry, WR, St. Louis

- Leonard Pope, TE, Arizona
    - Michael Matthews, TE, New York Giants

- AJ Trapasso, P, Tennessee

#1 JetFanInPA, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Via Rotoworld:

Patriots released G/C Billy Yates.

He had seven starts last season due to injuries. The Patriots also released LB Vinny Ciurciu, WR Robert Ortiz, S Roderick Rogers and DL Stephen Williams.
    Source: Boston Globe

More possible OL depth? (I have no clue as to his ability compared to what we have)

Plus the annual Pats/Jets "pick your brain for insider secrets" BS...

3. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

That Vollmer dude they drafted looks to be a huge bust in the making, same with Patrick Chung. Hopefully Brace follows suit.

4. JetFanInPA

How can you say that already?

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I think if you are going to post the name of somebody you think the Jets can use then you also have to post the name of who they will replace on the presumed final roster of 55.

6. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Chung was horrible in coverage and Vollmer looks slow..obviously these are initial impressions, but judging their draft from 06 and on, it's been a worrisome pattern for the Cheats.

7. JetFanInPA

Yeah... Ok... This thread is about players this team could use due to weak spots at certain positions. Why would I need to "presume" a 55 man roster first?

How about one of the many PS-quality linemen on our roster like Stanley Daniels who have never played in a regular season game? ... Basically, most of the backup linemen on the team.. So, yeah... I'm sure we could find a place for him.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Because the final roster isn't yet known, why else? Still 19 more to drop.

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I'm loking at LBs & WRs that we could use. Haven't found anything better than what we have.

10. JetFanInPA

I think its obvious that if we sign an OL, than one less OL that was previously going to make the team will get the axe.. Same would go for a punter, or WR for the most part..

11. JetFanInPA

Chiefs | Eight released from team
    Fri, 04 Sep 2009 13:35:09 -0700

Adam Teicher, of The Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs OT Damion McIntosh, OL Herb Taylor, OL Eric Ghiaciuc, OT Tavares Washington, FB Jed Collins, LB Corey Smith, CB Travis Daniels and CB Londen Fryar have been released from the team.

Either would provide good depth for us and would be an upgrade..

12. Jetfan10

Jetfan10 New Member

Possible Third Tight End?

How about Leonard Pope? He was a third round pick in 2006, and had a good sophmore season in 2007 before falling off the map in 2008. I can't see Leonard Pope being any worse as a tight end than Kareem Brown. I think we should take a chance on him unless a better tight end is given the axe.

Cardinals | 21 released from team
    Comment (0)
    Fri, 04 Sep 2009 14:31:08 -0700

Darren Urban, of AZCardinals.com, reports Arizona Cardinals QB Tyler Palko, WR Steve Sanders, WR Edward Gant, CB Wilrey Fontenot, RB Chris Vincent, CB Jameel Dowling, FB Reagan Mauia, FB Tim Castille, S Aaron Francisco, C Melvin Fowler, LB Victor Hobson, G Trevor Canfield, G Carlton Medder, DE Alex Field, DT Keilen Dykes, T Oliver Ross, TE Leonard Pope, WR Onrea Jones, DT Rodney Leisle, LB Chase Bullock and LB David Holloway have been released from the team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Grab francisco from the cards...he used to be a jet...special teams beast n is an upgrade at backup safety

G

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I said it in the other thread, I would like for the Jets to pick up Ben Watson if he's cut by the Pats. He'll be great for depth

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

no takers?

16. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I remember seeing Pope score a few TDs in one game I watched. I'm sure the Jets are keeping an eye on the situation

17. theUandtheJETS

theUandtheJETS New Member

Yahoo said that Bruce Davis was cut from the Steelers, (former 3rd Round Pick) he has potential to be a decent 3-4 Outside Linebacker....he played DEnd at UCLA, but has the size and speed to play LB...wouldnt be a bad idea giving him a shot...some team will.

18. JetFanInPA

So far some solid veteran reserve offensive linemen have been cut. No sign of any veteran wideouts or punters yet though..

19. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

Eric Ghiaciuc is terrible, he was an absolute embarrassment for the Bungles last season and then didn't even make it with the Chiefs.

20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I looked at all the NFL rosters and only 5 or 6 teams carried 2 punters.
    The interesting situations were Jacksonville where they have two guys with a 42-43 yard average, Tennesse with the rookie Trapasso and the Raiders with a guy who had a very good average but has Lechler in front of him... so he's a lock at getting cut. I hope we get him... or at least give him a look.

http://www.nfl.com/players/rickyschmitt/profile?id=SCH359655