I support Vernon Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Heavy Metal Thunder

I support trading Vernon Gholston for a decent punter.

2. SomeNoob

SomeNoob Member

I want the jets to cut him and then you can sign him to a contract and you can have him chase chickens or flies in your backyard because that's all he's good for.

#82 SomeNoob, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  3. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/24/reviewing-a-jets-blitz-scheme-rex-ryan-style/

Here's a good article in yesterday's NY Times regarding a blitz used against the Rams. I like everyone else, searches for #50 on the field hoping to see a ray of football light. I'm not satisfied with his progress so far but I understand that every play isn't going to a highlight reel. Not excusing him for not "participating" on more plays, but some plays the ball is near you and some they aren't. As the article shows, VG did his job, he'll get no credit for it and most will slam him for running into a Lineman and looking lost.

My biggest concern with him is his "take off" speed. He just doesn't seem to "sprint" past the linemen (when on the line). He maybe fast in the 40, but in the 10, he's no speedy gonzales.

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Great link , thanks

5. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

For all you Gholston supporters how about this deal - we'll support him if he makes A PLAY. ONE FUCKING PLAY. Which he has not done in a year plus of football. He has not made ONE SINGLE PLAY. EVEN IN PRE SEASON. My broken down 48 year old ass could probably make one play over that time. So give me a break with this guy.

6. jcnyj

jcnyj New Member

You are 100% correct. The guy has not flashed even one time since we drafted him.

7. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

lol, What you talking about Willis? He had a tackle last night. :)

8. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

How many phonies are on this site? This site was flooded with people wanting the Jets to draft him..... Now live with it instead of crying about it.

9. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Some of you act like he goes out there and screws up every play. That is not the case. If he has a contain assignment and he is plugging that gap - he is doing his job. I agree that we want to see him improve this season but just constantly trashing the guy and overstating his challenges is not fair or accurate. When he was drafted the fanbase was celebrating and high fiving. Now they want to give up on the guy. Some players take more time to develop than others. VG could turn out to be a very good player - lets support him and be patient.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He had an assist. I think somebody said he got blocked into the ball carrier.

11. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

I support Gholston for this season. I am going to reserve judgement right now, because one of the keys of our D-line, Jenkins, is out injured. If while Jenks is in, he still struggles, then I will give up hope.

12. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

lol, I saw the play with my own eyes. He looked like a young "LT".

Sorry, I am just in a great mood today......

13. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

sunshiners are worse than most of the darksiders, is scik making a run to become the next DWARE? You use no logic in his support just blind faith that our FO made the right decision. Gholston has done NOTHING!!!! He deserves no support.

14. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

He's a Jet - he deserves our support.

15. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Fixed that for you.

16. nyjvilma51

nyjvilma51 New Member

It is true, if he wasn't such a high pick he'd be another player who was just looked at as depth. I don't think its him not having heart while on the field. I still think he is reading what is happening...and when the play isn't breaking the way he thinks is is going to...he comes up short...is that an excuse? Hell no, but i think this is still part of his growing pains...I really think he'll be a solid player...will he be a playmaker like a number 6 is suppose to be? No, and I have a very strong feeling that Mangini didn't think so either.

I think this was a case of the Jets getting stuck in a spot they didn't want to go with and I think sadly, New England forced their hands in this draft selection last year.

Mangini looked a both vernon and mayo..he went off of pure "talent" and believed that Vernon COULD be a freak where Mayo was more of another David Harris at the time which was a solid but not a big play making middle backer...THey were probably afraid if Vernon went to NE he would have become a freakish outside backer....with Mangini's ego he figured he could make him into that beast..

As a strength Coach I would transfer Vernon to a non-weight training workout program for a few months to work on him cutting down and improving his movements both laterally and horizontally....he looks stiff and struggles with change of direction at an efficient speed..but it can be fixed.

17. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Gladys sucked again last night... no way to sugar coat that ladies and germs.

18. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

Unreal how a 4th string Left Tackle, just man handled the F** out him. Sure he made one tackle, but that was 40 yards down the field. To bad they couldn't put him on the PUP list. LOL!

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If you're just doing this out of sympathy for him then that's fine. But if you really firmly are in the minority because you see something in his play that we don't, then please enlighten us as to these hidden gems VG possesses.

20. BigGreenGangBang69

If he would make anything good on any play i would, but hes made like 1 tackle in 2 preseason games.