ESPN Morning Update: NO and JETS Negotiations Status (Whats Your Move?)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vilma#51, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Vilma#51

Vilma#51 New Member

Based on ESPN shown this morning, NO's current offer to the JETS is:

JETS get: 2
    NO gets: 4, 29, and 3rd rounder

My opinion a total Joke offer - dont be fooled JETS FO.

My recommendation:

I think the JETS should only give a 4 and 35 (and at most next years 3rd). Thats giving up a lot considering this is an unsually deep draft, and NO’s situation of NEEDING an OT (to protect Brees) and having a top-flight RB already (McCalister).

The JETS have more leverage than we think. Here's why: NO wants to grab Ferguson and does not want to fall past 4, because they will seriously risk losing him by one spot. Protecting Brees is NO’s #1 priority, JETS FO needs to be aware of that and leverage it in our negotiations.

From the JETS perspective, I believe the new regime betting much of their 1st draft success on one player is too risky, considering the high % of injuries around the league in the RB position, and the fact that we HAVE to pick-up a top flight O-lineman in this draft (we could get one at 35, but more choices will be available at 29 - McNeil?).

The JETS are in a great position at 4, and we are going to have our pickings of Leinart/Young, Ferguson, Hawk, and even trade-down options (aka Raiders?, etc). NO should be happy with a top 4 and high 2nd rounder. Otherwise, the JETS should call their bluff and let them sweat it out once the draft starts. I am fine with letting another team bet their whole draft on one player, or letting NO draft a player they don’t really need (in terms of need).

:jets:

#1 Vilma#51, Apr 29, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  2. Warrior

Warrior Member

Agree - I think this FO has it's head on straight. They already planned for this scenario and will not deter from their well thoughout scheme. They have their eye on the big picture. If RB is part of that plan it will be on the Jets terms - not the NO Saints.

3. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

If that's the offer, NO can enjoy Reggie. No one's going to give them that, or anything close to it.

4. The Dude

The Dude New Member

That seems like that's what it would have cost us to move to number 1, forget it, we had our draft planned around bush not being available anyway, just let things unfold as they may, who knows, bush could fall (although unlikely)

5. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

lol its not gonna cost that much.. the saints will trade down we dont know with who but i bet you the deal isnt close to that.

there not going to gurantee another 30 million to a rb when they have Mcallister and Bennett there already.

6. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

I agree, the FO is being smart and shouldn't give up too much even for Reggie. The Giants gave up way too much for Eli when they could've had Ben (who already has a ring now not that he would've with the Giants) or Rivers, plus a bunch of other players who could've helped that team.

7. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

but it didnt hurt the giants.. there looking pretty good right now.

8. mrsaucy21

mrsaucy21 New Member

We could of had the top spot for #4,#29 and #35. Our front office is smart! They realize the possibility of Bush falling to 4. N.O. has Duece and Michael Bennett. Look at the other teams near the top. Tenn--maybe, but need a qb and have locked Mcnair out of the facilities. GB-no, SF-maybe, but they love vernon davis and have Barlow and Gore. Raiders-Jordan, Bills-Mcgahee, Detroit-Jone, Arizona-Edge. Plus N.O. doesn't want to fall to far down the draft. We have the leverage. I say stay put or at the very most #4 and #35. I would love to see Bush in green. He is a playmaker.

9. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

exactly Jets and SF are the only teams that make sense and have the fire power to trade up. and in the end. we have the only position where they can trade down and still get D brick. i dont believe in the talk about them wanting Hawk.

10. Vilma#51

Vilma#51 New Member

Sorry everyone, based on ESPN just now (7:40am EST) it sounds like the offer is 4, 29, and 3rd rounder. Thats more reasonable. If NO would agree to make it an 07' 3rd rounder OR the second 3rd rounder (our compensatory pick), it could make more sense.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very well said. I say scew NO. If it is not with our terms, we stay at 4, Pick up DeBrick and really piss them off. We could use Bush big time, but not by mortgaging the Jets future.

12. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i would do that deal because we still have our 2nd rd pick and a 3rd rd pick and 2 4ths.. plus reggie bush at #4. so basicaly we would hav e the best player i the draft and still have normal draft.

13. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

I disagree, I don't think the Giants or Eli look that special. Right now he's a decent QB who should improve but sure they don't look like an Elite team and they could easily be looking as good if they didn't make the move. Unless they win a SB with Eli then I would say it was a bad move for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't bash them too much over it but I definitely think they gave up way too much for Eli and could've gotten more talent between Rivers or Ben and the picks they would've been able to keep then they got in Eli.

Same here, that's the question.

Say we get D'Brick, another top RB or Mangold or Lawson or another top OT/OG with #29, then another solid player with #71 (even possibly a QB) is Bush going to be better then the three of those picks combined? Last I checked that's a hard standard for any player to live up to so to me it's definitely a tough decision and one that can go either way.

#13 MDBigDog, Apr 29, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  14. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

he made the playoffs in his 2nd year. and now they have improved there defense dramticly. with guys like arrington and madison. . you cant tell me they dont look good.

15. jmc2702

jmc2702 New Member

The only team that gets screwed if we pick DBrick is us

16. Vilma#51

Vilma#51 New Member

Its that first 3rd rounder thats bothering me. Its a high 3rd rounder in a very deep draft, so essentially that pick has 2nd round value. Once you start adding it all-up (with 4 and 29) it becomes risky.

If we make it an 07' 3rd rounder or the Compensatory 3rd rounder, thats more fair. But I agree it would be great to get Bush and you could not ask for a better mentor then the one and only C. Martin to take R. Bush under his wings and show him how to be a true professional in this league. Either way, should be very exciting few hours here.

17. teedee83

teedee83 New Member

I hope the Jets don't do this, not 2 first rounders. One guy will not make this team that much better we need several players. Don't do it Jet's!

18. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Just for everyones knowledge-a team cannot trade a compensatory pick

19. chesapeakejet

chesapeakejet New Member

Tempting as it may be, we have too many holes to fill and we'd have to give up too much.

Sad, but true. :sad:

20. Vilma#51

Vilma#51 New Member

You are right, thanks for the clarification.