Burress' gun case adjournment Monday

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JetsNation06, Jun 12, 2009.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It sounds like Plaxico playing in '09 is closer to happening:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4254545

The attorney for Plaxico Burress told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that Monday's court appearance will result in another adjournment in his client's gun case until "sometime in September."

Benjamin Brafman, the receiver's lawyer, also hinted that Burress might be able to play in the coming NFL season.

"As far as I'm concerned, if he wants to play this year, he's able to play," Brafman said, according to the New York Daily News. "We will be in and out of the court of Monday morning by 9:15." Meanwhile, a date for the adjournment "has yet to be determined," Brafman told Paolantonio. "If there is going to be a trial in this case, it will not be until 2010. That is my best guess."

In March, Burress' attorneys had asked for and received an adjournment of his hearing until June 15.

Burress, who was released by the Giants this offseason, faces felony gun charges stemming from an accidental, self-inflicted shooting last November inside a New York nightclub.

A plea deal has not been arranged. The district attorney has agreed to the latest adjournment.

There are three teams still seriously interested in Burress: the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Chicago Bears. A source close to Burress said the receiver would like to play for the Jets so that he could "stick it to the Giants," who released him in April.

Sources within the Jets' organization said that while the team is still interested in Burress, it wants to get a clearer indication from commissioner Roger Goodell's office about what Goodell will do with regard to the personal conduct policy -- i.e., if he will penalize Burress.

"We reserve the right to act accordingly at the appropriate time," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

After accidentally shooting himself in a Manhattan nightclub last Nov. 29, Burress was arraigned Dec. 1 on two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a loaded and unlicensed weapon, a Glock semi-automatic pistol, which carries a mandatory minimum jail sentence of 3? years.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sometimes I wonder if we had traded Chad for Burress as we had been rumored to be after the 2000 draft, where this franchise would be.

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Plax should be completely exonerated for carrying a piece like that. Glock semi-automatic pistol , nice.
    I really hope we land this dude. If we are to bring on these younger WRs we have, they will benefit tremendously from his presence alone

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

It's certainly looking more and more like it is going to be up to the Jets to decide if they want him or not - the Jets are clearly his first choice, and I doubt that he'll be suspended for more than 4-6 games.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I hope he can play and we sign him. We're terribly thin at WR, and it'd be a cheap incentive-laden deal with way more reward than risk.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It would be sweet to pickup a true #1 receiver on the cheap. Maybe he could do his time next offseason?

7. kleckotheman

kleckotheman Member

Burress is best of available WR's

What really troubled me was the fact the Bills jumped so quickly on T.O.
    I always felt that if Dallas had waited until after the draft to release him, or if T.O. had waited to sign, we would have signed him.

And that would have given us the #1 WR without worrying about a suspension from Goodell, which I believe is very likely.

Having said that, Plax is the best option of the available WR's by far.
    Braylon, Ochocinco and Boldin all would come at a cost of talent or picks.

There are no other free agent WR's that are true impact #1 WR's.

Plax, say what you will about him being knucklehead which he is, commands double teams and allows his QB to literally "throw it up for grabs" when in trouble. He is a physical freak.

I hated him on the Giants, but I always thought Eli got way too much pub becasue he was lucky to have such a dominant physical WR to throw to.

He would sure allow Sanchez a heck of a security blanket and also let Jerrico be a true possession #2 WR which he is great at. In fact that is a better combo than the Giants had in their SB year with Amani and Plax.

I'm not a fan of the guy's character, but give me a motivated, pissed off Plax with something to prove. NE has to start game planning for him and that makes our trio of RB's even more formidable.

8. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I am not so sure if the Jets are his first choice. He might not want to stay in NY and the Bears, a team with a much better situation at QB, have expressed interest in Burress as well.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

"A source close to Burress said the receiver would like to play for the Jets so that he could "stick it to the Giants," who released him in April."

10. Drew

Drew Active Member

If he wanted to stick it to them he would sign with Dallas or Philly.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He has to get permission to leave the jurisdiction if he wants to go play in Chicago. The last thing the DA (or Plaxico) want is for this to become any more high profile than it is. The DA doesn't want it because gun crimes are a priority in NYC, so he doesn't want to look like he's making this easy for Burress. Plaxico doesn't want it because he really would rather just quietly sign with somebody before Goodell pops his head up and does something - can you see the headline in the Post when Plaxico makes his application? Like "Plaxico To Flee Without a Plea!" That'd be a nighmare for everybody involved. He'll stay in NY to avoid that if at all possible.

My best guess is that if Plaxico signs with somebody Goodell will pop his head up and say that no disciplinary action will occur until legal proceedings are concluded and that Plaxico can't play in games until then either. It's the logical position to take, and prevents the NFL's worst case scenario which is that Plaxico winds up winning the MVP in the Super Bowl and embarrasses the whole league when the news conference afterwards is all about his criminal case.

Goodell likely learned something from the Michael Vick fiasco, which is that taking action sooner might have prevented the media circus from swirling around his office (And Arthur Blank's office) for as long as it did

12. WhiteShoeWillis

That would make more sense to any sane person. Of course, we're talking about a guy who takes a loaded gun to the club with no safety on and shoots himself.

Allegedly that's what he said, so maybe he somehow thinks it would be sticking it to the Gints.

13. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

I still think Plax shot himself on purpose to get attention. How hard is it to keep a gun from going off in your pants?(no jokes please). I will say that Glocks don't have safeties and maybe he should be using something else in future, especially anything he wants to store near his groin.

14. Drew

Drew Active Member

and even worse... he wore sweatpants to the club. What a douche.

15. FriendlyGiantsFan

I don't really know how that sticks anything to the Giants. If he went to someone else in the NFC East then I would be pissed. But, as a fan, I honestly don't care who he plays on as long as it is outside the NFC East.

16. FriendlyGiantsFan

I don't think he needs permission to leave the NYC area seeing as how he's been living down in Miami these past few months (while racking up a healthy handful of moving violations). I also don't think it makes it the DA look bad if Burress heads off to play in Chicago while his court proceedings are carried out. If anything a verdict that lands Burress in a prison in NY makes the DA look stronger as, despite trying to leave the area and start over elsewhere, Burress couldn't escape the "long arm of the law."

I also doubt Goddell fears Burress becoming Super Bowl MVP, or at least not enough to motivate him to do anything about it. Burress probably gets hit with a 4 game suspension if and when he signs with anybody. He sits out the 1st 4 games before coming in and hoping his team of attornies works something out that lets him finish the season.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

and then draft tom brady in the 5th before the Pats get a chance at him in the 6th?

Or draft him in the 3rd, where he was supposed to go

18. coorslightcans

if you ever owned a hand gun or a any firearm for arguments sake. there are adjustments to the triggers that can be made to make them ultra sensative. i doubt anyone would want to shoot themslef in the groin area.

19. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Holsters commonly cover the trigger to avoid accidental firing and unless they've changed things in the last few years Glocks don't have safeties. What Glock calls safeties are internal mechanisms which prevent firing from being dropped or knocked around. They don't have an external switch which prevents firing when the trigger is pulled.

On a double action hand gun you can't make the trigger more sensitive because the trigger pull is working the reloading mechanism. On a single action handgun the trigger can be made more sensitive. This is problematic on a Glock as it is partway between being double and single action, the company calls their design Safe Action. In the standard Safe Action glock the striker is pulled 75% of the distance against the spring needed to generate enough force to ignite the propellant, the other 25% comes from the trigger pull. In order to make a Glock trigger more sensitive you have to find a way to make the striker more strongly worked against the spring prior to the trigger pull. Its pretty complicated. The basic point here is that Glocks work differently than standard hand guns. No firing pin and hammer, just a striker. No safeties. This combines to cut the number of moving parts in half making glocks more reliable.

20. coorslightcans

i doubt plax wore a holster inside his sweatpants

but thanks for the gun analogy the nra would be proud dude