Clemens: ?The Best Player Will Play?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jcjet, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

From the team's perspective, the best thing that can happen is Clemens does well and well enough to draw value in a trade. I can't understand why a Jet fan would relish the prospect of the team crapping on the guy, and him failing.

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Exactly, let's hope that both prove to be solid starters.

3. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I agree, but some seem to want to see him crash & burn.

Clemens has been a class act and a team player through all the crap he's been through.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yes, he has been a class act. More than some others who get tons of cred for class.

The other thing is even if Sanchez starts, why would Jet fans want his backup to suck?

That is illogical.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I have no loyalty to either QB, I don't care if it's Clemens or Sanchez, but if either of them can be good enough to get us a Lombardi Trophy, I don't care about the past or where he was drafted.

I think it bodes well that Sanchez was picked so early, because Clemens won't be able to play just good enough to keep the starting job. He will have to play lights-out. That's the kind of motivation you want.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Hasn't he already been a long term Jets backup?

7. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2009/06/12/tie-goes-to-the-rookie/

Bottom line: Clemens performed a little better than Sanchez in the three-day, five-practice camp, demonstrating a more commanding field presence and executing the offense with fewer mental errors. But ?a little better? isn?t going to be good enough for Clemens, who may need a knockout punch in training camp to claim the starting job.

This sums up exactly how I feel about the QB competition. If Clemens ends up slightly better I say Sanchez should start. If a 4 year vet can't beast the QB competition from a rookie then so long Kellen....

8. illmatic

illmatic New Member

I actually I hope we have the problem SD had a few years back with brees and Rivers. But hopefully we can handle it like the Pats did with Cassel and get some value for Clemens from a team like the Vikes or the Jags who will probably be in need of a QB by then....

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are so few QB's taken in the later parts of the 2nd round that turn out well that I'm almost hoping Clemens gives the Jets a hard choice. Jake Plummer is the best QB ever taken in the second round after pick 40.

I do think that Clemens has to have a sinking feeling at this point. Chad, Chad, Favre and now Sanchez, all with the management studiously looking away from Clemens whenever possible. That can't feel good.

10. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

I understand what you are saying, but loser is a little strong. Sanchez is set for life and KC isn't and this is his contract year. There is nothing really wrong about KC puffing up his chest and saying I'm the guy this year screw Sanchez.

11. Br4d

I think what GJF is saying is that Clemens isn't puffing his chest up and acting like the job is his at the moment. That's what I see too. Clemens is setting himself up to get the job handed to Sanchez in the end without Clemens actual performance meaning anything at all, it's going to be all about is Sanchez ready to go or not.

Clemens could have the greatest camp a Jet's QB has ever had and if Sanchez has just a good one the job is going to get taken from Clemens again.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

good then the Fins need to find someone after Henne because history proves he won't work out.

At least I'm hoping.

EDIT: I looked at the history as well - Ken Stabler is another name that can go along with Plummer.

#32 NDmick, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  13. Br4d

You're right he was. I only went back to 1970 in the list I did. I should have gone back to the first combined draft in 1967. Silly me. That makes Stabler by far the best QB ever taken in that area of the draft. Lots of good ones up until pick 40 and then it is a wasteland from there.

14. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Thats what I meant, KC needs to puff his chest out. Financially this is the most important year of his life, he needs to grab life by the balls.

15. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

That would be awesome if we do manage to get some value out of Clemens.. but I won't hold my breath. Depends on how long it take Sanchez to ramp up and take the helm. We'll see.

And no where in my post was I hoping or rooting for Clemens to fail. Having little faith in a guy and hoping for him to fail are two different things. My original post was more of a tongue in cheek sort of remark given how so many fans on this board (much like yourself) treat former Jets players with disdain and disgust... like 40 years of losing was their fault or something. :beer:

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Lost in all of the Sanchez/Clemens hype is Wallace Wright making a case for himself to see the field on offense. Every time we read about Sanchez making a great pass, Wright is always on the receiving end.

17. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

lol please stop with the Brees/Rivers comparisons

18. fr0zensm0ke

fr0zensm0ke Member

/agree... Sanchez has the potential to be that type of talent (and certainly not guaranteed), but I don't think you could compare Kellen Clemens to either of those two... Best case scenario for us is that Clemens stays in NY as a solid backup, because I don't think he has the talent to be "the guy" for any team. Being that he knows the offense very well, and has a good strong arm, he would make a good backup QB if (god forbid) Sanchez does get injured.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

its with the 2nd team offense.

not exactly something special, but its good to see him making plays.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

why?

No one knew that was going to happen until it did.

We need one good year out of Clemens and the Jets can trade him.