Jets DB Eric Smith draws lofty comparison from Ryan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Firemangini Ed, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjside1212869632jun11,0,3722976.story?track=rss

When Rex Ryan was with the Baltimore Ravens he coached some of the best defenders in the NFL, and when Eric Smith grabbed his fifth interception in three days of Jets minicamp, it brought back memories of one of those former players.

" Ed Reed," Ryan said. "That's what that reminded me of."

That is lofty praise for a player that entered minicamp behind Kerry Rhodes and newly signed Jim Leonhard on the depth chart at safety.

Smith has tried to ignore that for now, however, and focus on improving himself every day in practice. With five interceptions already, he is off to a good start.

"I think he's really one of our gems of this camp," said linebacker Bart Scott, whose locker is next to Smith's and has been helping him with the new defense. "I think he's getting more comfortable in the system. He's making big plays. When you make big plays like that Rex will find a spot for you on the football field. It's testament to him, his work ethic and his playmaking ability."

It didn't always look this easy for Smith. When he first learned the defense, Smith struggled often in minicamp, but after Thursday's practice, he couldn't imagine playing in another system.

"This defense makes it fun," Smith said. "It makes it so you can play fast. It's something that I think every defensive player would want to play in."

Smith, perhaps best known for his helmet-to-helmet collision with Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin last September, is in his fourth year with the Jets. Although he had a strong season in 2008 (32 tackles and one interception in nine games), Smith appears to have lost the starting job with Leonhard and Rhodes in his way.

A strong performance in minicamp was something Smith needed, but that progress was almost all erased when he grabbed his right hamstring after an interception, bringing back images of when he hurt his hamstring during training camp in 2007.

"That one time I had no choice but to drop to the ground," Smith said. "This was nothing, I'm fine."

With that brief scare behind him, Smith perhaps did more in his coach's eyes than any other player at minicamp.

"He's really taken off for us," Ryan said. "He's really improving. Here's a veteran player who came in - I don't know if he was a little disgruntled where he was initially on the depth chart - but he just keeps getting better."

2. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

One thing thats kind of pissing me off about Ryan is how he always seems to reference his track record and how he always compares Jet players to Raven players, and how he can make our guys into superstars. While I love the praise and comparison, can Ryan just talk about the expectations and potential our players without referencing his old guys

3. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Herm did it his first year, and Mangini, too. It their frame of reference, you can't fault them for that. I'm sure it will start to peter out when we start kicking ass in real games.

4. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

if i'm eric smith and hear my coach say i reminded him of ed reed i'm in the weight room doing extra work, im in the film room doing extra studying, and i'm looking to make shit happen when i am out on the field. we can all take this and freak out about how smith isn't actually as good as reed, but that isn't really the point.

5. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

It's all about competition. With Eric's great showing in camp it lets Leonard and Rhodes know they may not be as safe as they think they are and they need to step it up. Everyone plays better knowing there is someone behind them that can replace them.

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Okay, we're not the Ravens. Enough with the comparisons.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Eric "Dinged!" Smith???

Soft; only play of note in '08 was a needless, poor man's "George Atkinson-esque" cheap shot in the waning moments of the Cardinal's game...ending up with a concussion himself.

From here, I'm gonna listen to "Rex text" with a jaundiced ear.

Eric Smith?....... sorry 'Coach' but are we talking about the same "DNP=concussion" Eric Smith?

imho has been a so-so no-show of Herm's; a slightly-below-average safety waiting to be replaced.....when, already?:sad:

8. ukilledkenny

leonard is his replacement. i won't go into the whole cheap shot or not debate. your saying it is impossible for someone to get better, and that not only rex but every single beat writer is just seeing things when they say smith is stepping up his game?

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

how about he looked like Ed Reed for one week of practice, and is not actually Ed Reed?

I guarantee you thats what Ryan meant.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Ryan is praising everybody this offseason. This has got to be some sort of morale tactic... From what I've seen of Eric Smith's abilities he'll be bringing Ed Reed cups of water in 3 years.

11. fireguy404

fireguy404 New Member

Good God it's the preseason. Rex gave the guy a compliment and now everyone is all over the guy

12. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

13. Jam.

Jam. Banned

^ Can I get a GIF of that without the bottom bars?

14. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Have to say that this is the first thing Rex has said this offseason that's made me sit back and think "woah, calm down".

Now that I think of it, the BT = AT thing was stupid too. Neither comparison is credible.

15. ukilledkenny

if anyone is taking these comparisons as any more than an attempt to motivate players then i really don't know what to say. of course bryan thomas isn't anywhere near adalius thomas. same thing for smith = reed. i see nothing wrong with him comparing these guys to high caliber players if it inspires them to keep working hard.

16. ujponds

ujponds New Member

Ed Reed never broke someone's face.

17. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

Another over the top statement. But good to hear that the guy is impressing

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I can't stand Darrell Waltrip.

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Ed Reed > Leonard > Smith

20. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I'd like to see Smith do something during the regular season before I give him any credit. I'm still scarred by his '08 performance.