'Another' should Sanchez start the season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 3, 2009.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yes, i know it's 'early' and probably not worthy of a new thread, and 'should sanchez start?' has been commented on in almost every other thread so don't flame just move onto the next thread if you don't like it.

if sanchez starts on a 'crapy team' with a bad OL, then you can ruin him quick (shell shock and a bloody rump are not good conficence building blocks)

but,

i think the jets offer the PERFECT scenario for sanchez to have a good chance to play well and grow into an above average qb

1- there is no 'incombent veteran' to bench, no qb controversy, no one to look over his shoulder at and no 'pissed off vet' for the cameras to pan to every time sanchez throws and incompletion. this is HIS team. if we benched favre to start sanchez, well, you see how it could be very different.

2- starting kellen is not much different than starting sanchez. shotty will have his OWN playbook this year and kellen's 'head start' is over stated.

3- we have a good defense, which means two things: sanchez will not be starting a lot of series from deep in his endzone where mistakes are magnified, and we can recover more easily from 3 and outs (or ints) with less damage. a good defense = good damage control. we shouldn't need 45 pts and 300 yds passing to win every game.

4- we have the best running game in the afce, and one of the best in the nfl. add greene and a pissed off jones and it can only get better. plus leon will be going without sex for a while so he'll be looking for someone to kill as well.

sanchez will seldom be asked to 'win the game'. here and there, yes, but the whole season will not ride on his arm and qb play.

(anyone know how is sanchez' play action game is? this will be big. chad and brady are masters at play action, so it must be someting a qb has or dosen't have)

5- we're not built as a qb/passing team that needs a joe montana to win. we got cothery and keller, but this represents more of an intermediate passing game to help move the chains and keep the D somewhat honest. should not be impossible for sanchez to master.

plus we DON'T have a TO or a randy moss demanding the game goes through them.

6- the whole system and coaching staff is kinda new too, so there's a lot of places to lay blame for a failed outing or two. it won't all be put on sanchez if we lose a game. there will be enough growing pains to go around, and everyone will get their lumps and grow together as a team.

i think the jets represent the perfect scenario for sanchez to start. i can't see how sitting on the bench watching 'happy feet' kellen hand off or go 3 and out will prepare sanchez any faster than lining up under center for a solid, run first team with an above average defense.

we hung our hat on sanchez. let's not wait 2-3 years to find out.

it's now or never. i vote 'now'

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Excellent points, I agree that if Sanchez starts he can be successful for the reasons you mentioned. I just don't want him to be handed the keys to the team no questions asked. He should earn his starting spot by outplaying Kellen Clemens in training camp and preseason.

3. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

I think it is fairly obvious based on Ryan's comments that if Sanchez performs at a level close to Clemens' during the PS, Sanchez is going to get the job.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think alot of people are overrating the JETS (potential) defense and pass protection

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yeah I agree with you. If it's close why bother with Clemens? The Jets already fucked up Clemens' career without letting him develop. I don't want the same to happen to Sanchez.

6. facch

facch Active Member

I agree with this. We have a new coach, one who obviously wants to bring a defensive mentality. But besides Bart Scoot, not much has changed. We can only hope the defense improves, and yes, there are reason to believe they can improve. But to assume we're going to have one of the best defenses in the league is premature.

7. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

why cant we say we are going to have one of the best defenses in the league? you said it yourself not much as changed. if i remember correctly our defense we pretty damn good for a little over half the season last year. it wasnt exactly all the players fault was they started to suck. the coaching sucked and started playing very conservative. not to mention harris got hurt. now we still have all the same players minus some dead weight and we added a great LB in scott, a corner who i expect to get back where he used to be in lito, and a decent safety in jim. plus one of the greatest defensive minds in the nfl as our coach. thats just my thoughts though :up:

8. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

oh and btw sanchez should totally start. its what us fans want to see. there are ppl saying he should wait half the season to come in but if u think about it that means if he is coming in halfway through the season that means that we are sucking. i would rather waste a season sucking with sanchez while he learns as he plays then waste half a season sucking with clemens.

a lot of people keep bringing up the ryan and flacco cases but i dont think sanchez is in that same situation. i see him in more of a ben Roethlisberger type deal where he is going to have a decent cast around him. didnt he go to the playoffs in his first year and then win a superbowl in his second. god i hope sanchez can be like that :rofl:

9. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

First of all I think with the amount of money the JETS gave Sanchez I beleive he will start and let him learn this year. As for the defense and offense this is a wait and see for me. I need to see some PS games before I make up my mind. I know PS is all very simply play and 3rd strigers but at least you have some idea of what we may look like.

#9 4jetfans, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
  10. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

He should start. If the OL was really suspect maybe you consider sitting him, but you learn by playing and play he should.

11. ........

........ Trolls

I hate to break it to you, but even if he starts, we may well be waiting 2 - 3 years to we what we have. The argument against starting Sanchez isn't about the quality of personnel around him, it's about the fact that a junior QB with one season as a starter hasn't experienced the same kind of development as a Ryan or a Flacco or a Roethlisberger.

We have a fantastic line and running game, which will boost his chances of success. However, if he's starting this season, there will be significant growing pains as he's starting behind the curve in a lot of ways. Jets fans are not the most patient bunch, and posts like this make me question whether we would allow him to develop before jumping all over him. He's doing all the right things by tackling the playbook head on, but don't be surprised if they elect to develop him before sending him in. It's not about developing by watching, it's about working with Daboll, Schotty, and, yes, Clemens. Our CS will make the right decision one way or another.

If he starts, I will get behind him and encourage the patience of those who see him as a necessary contributor right off the bat.

12. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

1- this is NY - there is always a QB controversy.
    2- he would have Clemens looking over his shoulder.
    3- again this is NY the camera could pan to many a person after every inc or int: Rex Ryan, Clemens, any member of the defense.

The worst case scenario of starting Snachez is our defense playing absolutely lights out and Snachez stinking it up so bad that he winds up costing us games.

IMO it makes much more sense to let Clemens drive the car until he crashes. That way there is no possibility of the fans/press calling for Snachez to be benched - because then we will all KNOW for a fact what we got in Clemens.

13. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

This is a contract year for KC, I figure he will play his nuts off and outperform MS. But no matter who is QB this is going to be a running team, the OL isn't that good at pass blocking, but no one wants to admit that.

14. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

i really like the pass protection but i think our D is supremely overrated here on TGG... especially without any depth

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

it has the potential to be anywhere from 9-13th overall. But its not reaching 6-8.. no one should even consider top 5 this year.

the following years, we'll see.

16. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

I like the coaching staff comments, that is very true

17. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Sanchez is going to igive it everything he has to start the first game, which is more than enough to unseat Kellen.

Kellen couldn't beat Chad or even Ratliff in a competition.

You don't pay that much to let a QB sit behind an unprove QB who has hardly more experience.

Seven starts to zero, BIG woop. Sanchez starts the season.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

i guess that would be one huge reason NOT to start sanchez. what if he DOES stink it up and we have no choice but to turn to kellen? wow that would really set us back years. didn't think of that.

so...maybe starting kellen will have one of two outcomes:

1- kellen plays lights out and we win win win, while sanchez learns from the pine

2- or, kellen stinks up the joint and we yank him for sanchez. kinda like 2007 when we yanked chad for kellen. no one second guessed that decision because chad had already crashed and burned.

3- worst case if starting kellen is if he plays just 'so so', not bad enough to get the hook, but not good enough to win win win. gray area. that would suck.

#18 Footballgod214, May 3, 2009
  19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That would be awful to have Snachez stinking it up out there. Perhaps Woody should invest in some douche?

#19 WhiteShoeWillis, May 3, 2009
  20. That Guy

That Guy New Member

Originally, I had said to start Clemens and let the future quarterback sit back and learn the ropes of the NFL.* But... After his first few practices, his obvious dedication, and his persistent work ethic, I vote Sanchez on day one!* The kid is a winner, and he is as persistent as it gets.