Berger from Newsday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NewEra06, Apr 25, 2006.

1. NewEra06

NewEra06 New Member

His view of old regime vs new regime

"I don't know what it is, but I have a feeling it's going to be different this time. I fell victim to the Herman Edwards charm machine as often as the next guy, but I never really got the feeling that everyone was on the same page when he was here. Too often there were conflicting agendas within the walls of Weeb Ewbank Hall, and in the end, the health of the only thing that ultimately mattered -- the football team they were running -- suffered.
    Mangini and Tannenbaum think alike. Both are obsessively committed to succeeding. Most importantly, they want the same thing -- players who fit their philosophy. And for the first time in quite a while, the people making the decisions have the same philosophy.
    Think about it: When Herm and Terry Bradway were hired in 2001, the Jets were supposed to run a Tampa-style cover 2 defense. Then came the hybrid scheme between Herm's Tampa defense and Ted Cottrell's Buffalo scheme. Then came Donnie Henderson. Offensively, it was three years of Paul Hackett, followed by one year of Hackett playing philosophical tug-of-war with Edwards, followed by one year of Mike Heimerdinger.
    How can an organization develop any sort of continuity in terms of acquiring players through the draft and free agency when the coaches and systems change as often as they did under Edwards?"

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Yeah I saw this over at JI. I have to agree that the chemistry between Tangini is a REALLY good thing.

3. akibud

akibud Active Member

Excellent points... if everyone has the same philosophy, they see the same things in the players that they are looking at. They should also be able to come to an agreement quicker on who fits their profile. I too have a good feeling about this regime.. I am very optimistic.

4. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

its all about chemistry and, once gotten, continuity.

5. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Sounds Like Berger Finally read this board or any Jets board..

HELLO Berger - We've been crying about these inconsistencies for a few years now...

Hand in you Media pass at the door.

6. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I said for a long time that there was a rift between Bradway and Edwards, and the team suffered because of that rift. That is what is holding SD back now, although that situation is just out of hand.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I am in no way a supporter of Edwards and his regime, but I dont get it - he bashes that regime for not having continuity on the coaching staff, switching coordinators and systems. But how do we know the Mangini regime is going to maintain a continuity with coordinators and systems? They've been on the job for what 2 1/2 months?? -

8. NewEra06

NewEra06 New Member

We don't know but at least for now our head coach and GM are on the same page.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Its sounds great and all. Yes I'm all giddy about this FO too but lets be real here. All HCs & GMs have chemistry the first year.. It bodes well for us that Mangini and Tanny were friends but we all know that can change quickly..

10. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

You do not have to look far to see that tangini is better than if herm and his crew was here, look at our situation and look at the cheifs situation... We both had cap problems, now we are sitting pretty, the cheifs are losing players and still have some cap problems and other issues.

11. GreenMachine

Once and for all....Herm is the coach for the CHIEFS not CHEIFS!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Why the hell do you care how do i spell their team name.... I like cheifs better than chiefs anyway.... With herm there they will be known as the cheifs anyway....

Shouldn't you be looking for someone to ban rather than looking for spelling corrections? Do you get commision? Is it 10% for every mispelled corrected?

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Berger just states the facts about the lack of continuity in the Jet's coaching staff over the last 3 seasons. Herm was so busy throwing people under the bus that he never developed a successful formula to maintain the franchise.

Berger states that he thinks it will be different with the Tangini crew. He may be right and he may be wrong, but he's definitely right about the last regime.

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i think for the next several months we may here tidbits of how much of a cluster %$^(* it was at hofstra with bradway and herm around.....

as they say - NEVER judge a book by its.....

jil

15. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

I like the CHEFS!!!!

16. bigredjet

bigredjet New Member

Great googley boogley!

17. GreenMachine

Roger...You have no "street cred" on a message board...Homeboy.

18. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

I have to say I like what the staff has done so far with who they picked up in the off season. Now show me what this duo can do in the draft. " Impress me" Next I wont to see what happens in camp with the new players and old. I dont want to see Hambergers and hotdogs and a keg of beer. I WANT wind sprints and fighting for postions and sweating. Not laughing and walking around. Finally I want this DUO to show me X's and O' and how the play chess on the field during a game. Something Jets fans have not seen in a while. If this coaching staff shows me this I will then become giddy. IT ALL STARTS THIS SATURDAY.