The Jets WILL Draft a QB #1...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Apr 25, 2006.

1. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

does the name Browning Nagle ring a bell? Nagle was a 2nd round pick I believe, but the Jets 1st pick in that draft (I don't think they had a 1st rounder).

What about Ken O'brien (as much as I defend him)? Ryan Leaf? Akili Smith? Alex Smith? etc etc.

2. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

The Jets will draft Ferguson, and rather than boo like usual, all of the Jet fans in attendance will let out a collective, "Ehh...OK I guess."

3. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

See the problem is not with my "little brain" but with your logic. Using your statements the Jets need OL, QB, RB, WR and then TE...

Well, Davis is a completely different type of player. He is really a wide receiver in a TE body. So lets look at those needs:

OL - Davis would help the OL as he is an OK blocker and will improve, but he will ALWAYS take a safety or a linebacker away from the line to cover him, so there are less rushers for our OL to block and one more place to find a hole for the RB. Bottom line OL more effective.

QB Davis would help the QB, by offering the best receiver in the draft (not TE, RECEIVER) as a target. Since you ALWAYS have to cover him, you free up one on one coverage for Coles, McCairens and Cotchery to get open more, upgrading the receiving corps and improving the perfromance of any QB that plays for us.

RB Davis improves the RB position, because you will ALWAYS have to cover him. Less men in the box means more holes to run through. A safety and a LB covering Davis, along with other receiving routes can pull all the CB away from the line of scrimmage as well. Draws become extra potent with Davis

WR Davis IS a WR. He has the hands, mobility and speed of a WR but in a huge TE body. Not only will he play at TE he will play SE, slot receiver, and WR. He may even play FB and go on delay routes and swing passes out of the backfield he is that quick. He is the biggest upgrade we could get at WR, and will be our #1 receiver

TE Oh yeah...he can play TE too

A pick of Vernon Davis actually upgrades every position you mentioned. He is a playmaker, something the Jets really do not have. By forcing people to account for him on every play, and by us moving him around from left to right, in the slot, out wide in the backfield our opponents have to build their entire gameplan around him. It completely changes the entire complexion of our offense.

He is a unique player. He is not just a TE. AND he should be our pick. But what do I know, I have a "little brain" and cannot reason out the impact he could have.

4. Arizona Jet Fan

Arizona Jet Fan New Member

No chance fellas.......no QB.....we will be trading down to number 7.......