JetFanInPA NFL/Jets Mock: 4/10

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFanInPA, Apr 10, 2009.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Hey all, here's my next NFL and Jets mock... A few surprises early on and a different approach for the Jets draft. Take a look through the whole thing and let me hear some feedback..

4/10/09
    Round I
    1. Detroit: Matt Stafford QB: It’s simple really… The Lions just can’t afford to pass on a franchise QB here. They might want to play Dante Culpepper for a while so there’s no need to rush Stafford in. This is the best way to raise his chances of success in Detroit.

2. St. Louis: Eugene Monroe OT: It’s Monroe or Jason Smith here. Monroe is more NFL-ready than Smith and probably less of a risk.

3. Kansas City: Aaron Curry LB: An easy pick here, the Chiefs need a LB regardless of which defensive style they utilize next year.

4. Seattle: Matt Sanchez QB: With Hasselbeck turning 34 in September, it’s time to think of the future. Sanchez could sit for a season or two and would be eased into the game. Because he has only a full season of college experience, this is an ideal situation.

5. Cleveland: Michael Crabtree WR: Braylon Edwards is close to being traded. Kellen Winslow was traded. Joe Juerevicious wasn’t resigned and is in his mid 30s and Donte Stallworth is soon to be incarcerated. Seriously, who is Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson going to throw to???

6. Cincinnati: BJ Raji DT: This dominant defensive tackle is a prototypical 3-4 NT, but can also be a disruptive pass-rusher. Raji is one of the best DT prospect to come along in recent years.

7. Oakland: Jason Smith OT: Tom Cable wants to keep Jamarcus Russell upright and his running game effective with his three-headed monster. Smith is a nice value and will allow for some shifts on the offensive line.

8. Jacksonville: Josh Freeman QB: Surprise number one! David Garrard is already 31 and had a bit of a down year in 2008. Freeman could spend some time on the bench developing if Garrard is still their guy. This could end up being a Philip Rivers/Drew Brees situation. And if Freeman reaches his potential, bulls-eye!

9. Green Bay: Brian Orakpo OLB/DE: A nice value here, Orakpo has unfavorably drawn many Vernon Gholston comparisons, but they are two different people. The Packers could use another pass-rusher for their new 3-4 defense.

10. San Francisco: Everette Brown OLB/DE: With Sanchez gone, the 49ers look to add another pass-rusher with Brown. Also look for a DB or even WR.

11. Buffalo: Robert Ayers DE: A guy who is flying up draft boards, Ayers is a better prospect than Aaron Maybin because he plays the run better.

12. Denver: Tyson Jackson DE: This NFL ready DE is a prototypical fit as a 3-4 DE and the Broncos need plenty of parts to their new 3-4.

13. Washington: Michael Oher OT: Needing help at both tackle spots and inside as well, Oher will likely find playing time sooner then later with aging veterans Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen as their bookends.

14. New Orleans: Clay Matthews LB: Surprise number two! Matthews goes ahead of his other fellow USC backers’ because of his versatility and immense special team potential. An added bonus, Matthews isn’t linked to steroids either…

15. Houston: Malcolm Jenkins DB: A terrific value here, Jenkins might be a better fit at safety for the Texans, who could use one.

16. San Diego: Eben Britton T/G: A bit of a reach here, but Britton could step right in and help at either RG or RT and open holes for Tomlinson and Sproles.

17. NY Jets: Knowshon Moreno RB: If Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff are starting at QB, they are going to need plenty of help from the running game. With a great two-headed monster already, Moreno makes sense because both backs are having some contract issues in New York and one is past the dreaded age of 30.

18. Denver (f./Chi): Rey Maualuga ILB: An intimidating and prototypical 3-4 ILB, Maualuga is exactly what the Broncos need on defense.

19. Tampa Bay: Peria Jerry DT: This violent pass-rushing tackle has some injury concerns, but if healthy will be a dominant force. If concerns are high enough, this pick will be Evander Hood.

20. Detroit (f/Dal): Vontae Davis DB: The Lions need help all over the secondary and Davis could even play some safety and return kicks.

21. Philadelphia: Alex Mack C/G: Mack will allow the Eagles to shift their line around a bit. Todd Heremans can move to tackle and Mack will start immediately at center or at guard. An underrated center prospect in the mold of Nick Mangold, Mack is the best offensive lineman available.

22. Minnesota: Brian Cushing LB: A bit of a surprise here, the Vikings go for a LB to complete their unit as Ben Leber is not a standout and is now over 30. At worst, the Vikings get some special team help.

23. New England: Connor Barwin OLB/DE: This inexperienced player looks like a Mike Vrabel clone, who they just traded. Barwin posted phenomenal workout numbers and even was outstanding in interviews. He doubles as a TE.

24. Atlanta: Louis Delmas S: Another surprise to an extent, the Falcons need secondary help and Delmas is a much better safety prospect then Sean Smith or anyone else around. Underrated…

25. Miami: Aaron Maybin OLB/DE: Maybin takes a bit of a tumble here because he’s inexperienced, undersized and one-dimensional. He’ll need to sit behind Joey Porter for a while.

26. Baltimore: Jeremy Maclin WR: Speaking of tumbles, the WR trend continues into next year. Maclin has a few question marks, but the real cause of fall is simply that WRs aren’t in THAT high of a demand compared to other positions.

27. Indianapolis: Evander Hood DT: The Colts need all kinds of help inside after Ed Johnson’s release and needed help even before that. Hood is a terrific run defender and can also get to the QB.

28. Philadelphia (f/Car): Sean Smith DB: Lito Sheppard is a Jet, but the team could use some depth at not only corner but safety since they lost Brian Dawkins and Sean Considine. Smith projects to either and may be a better fit at safety.

29. NY Giants: Brian Robiskie WR: Surprise number three! The Giants are in dire need of WRs and Robiskie is very underrated after a modest statistical year playing with freshman Terrelle Pyror at QB. Robiskie is tough, has great size and hands and isn’t going to be the next diva WR (Plaxico Burress) in New York.

30. Tennessee: Jarron Gilbert DL: The extremely athletic Gilbert could see his name called earlier due to his tremendous triangle numbers and an even bigger senior year at San Jose St. The versatile defensive lineman can help at either end or tackle for Tennessee.

31. Arizona: Donald Brown RB: This guy is moving up draft boards quickly and could be one of the first backs taken. The underrated back from Connecticut had a monster junior season and would be a great compliment to Tim Hightower’s power running.

32. Pittsburgh: Alphonso Smith CB: After losing Bryant McFadden, the Steelers need another DB or two especially since longtime Steeler Deshea Townsend is in his mid-thirties. Smith would likely hear his name called in the top 10 if he was a few inches taller and shaved a bit off his 40 time.

Round II
    33. Detroit: William Beatty OT
    34. New England: Max Unger OL
    35. St. Louis: Michael Johnson DE
    36. Cleveland: Chris Wells RB
    37. Seattle: James Laurinaitis ILB
    38. Cincinnati: Eric Wood C
    39. Jacksonville: Percy Harvin WR
    40. Oakland: Darrius Heyward-Bey WR
    41. Green Bay: Brandon Pettigrew TE
    42. Buffalo: Clint Sintim LB
    43. San Francisco: Patrick Chung S
    44. Miami: Ron Brace NT
    45. NY Giants: Darry Beckwith ILB
    46. Houston: Jonathan Luigs C/G
    47. New England: Darius Butler CB
    48. Denver: Sherrod Martin DB
    49. Chicago: Kenny Britt WR
    50. Cleveland: Lawrence Sidbury Jr. OLB/DE
    51. Dallas: Jamon Meredith OT
    52. Philadelphia: Andre Brown RB
    53. NY Jets: Hakeem Nicks WR
    54. Atlanta: Marcus Freeman LB
    55. Minnesota: TJ Lang OL
    56. Miami: Ramses Barden WR
    57. Baltimore: DJ Moore CB
    58. New England: LeSean McCoy RB
    59. Carolina: Fili Moala DT
    60. NY Giants: Duke Robinson OG
    61. Indianapolis: Juaquin Iglesias WR
    62. Tennessee: Mike Mickens CB
    63. Arizona: Cody Brown OLB/DE
    64. Pittsburgh: Kraig Urbik G/T

#1 JetFanInPA, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. JetFanInPA

New York Jets
    1. Knowshon Moreno | RB | Georgia | If Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff are starting at QB, they are going to need plenty of help from the running game. With a great two-headed monster already, Moreno makes sense because both backs are having some contract issues in New York and one is past the dreaded age of 30.

2. Hakeem Nicks | WR | UNC | Surprise! WRs aren’t in quite as high of a demand as positions like OLB or OT. One of the top 7 will likely fall somewhat far and given his extremely unimpressive pro day performance and lack of great triangle numbers, Nicks could slip a little. And if he’s not here, Juaquin Iglesias is a similar player.

3. Dorrell Scott | DL | Clemson | Here’s a player that’s moving way up draft boards. Scott has great size (6-3 315) and run-stopping ability and projects as a NT as well as a DE in the 3-4. He has gotten a lot of attention from 3-4 teams including the Jets.

4. Anthony Hill | TE | NC State | Yeah, a TE for the Jets. You better not be surprised if we take one even higher though. There literally isn’t another one on the roster. Hill is an outstanding blocker will have a similar role to Chris Baker’s last year.

6. Robert Brewster | OL | Ball St | An underrated lineman, Brewster is extremely versatile started 47 consecutive games at Ball St. His run-blocking ability and intangibles make him a candidate to start at some point and at least a great developmental prospect.

7. Jamaal Westerman | OLB/DE | Rutgers | The Jets have shown interest in this potential 3-4 OLB. Westerman had 26.0 sacks in four seasons at Rutgers is about as good as any 3-4 OLB prospect available in this area.

Undrafted Prospects
    1. Mike Teel | QB | Rutgers
    2. Curtis Brinkley | RB | Syracuse
    3. Derek Kinder | WR | Pittsburgh
    4. Carson Butler | TE | Michigan
    5. Ryan McKee | OT | Southern Miss
    6. Juan Garcia | C | Washington
    7. Jeremy Navarre | DE | Maryland
    8. Julius Williams | OLB/DE | Connecticut
    9. DJ Clark | DB | Idaho St
    10. Connor Lee | K | Pittsburgh
    11. Aaron Perez | P | UCLA

3. ........

........ Trolls

I'd be pretty happy with this, although I'd prefer to take Maclin if he's still on the board at 17. There's no way he lasts until 26. I don't know that Nicks falls that far to us in the 2nd, but other than that, nicely done.

Also, in your mock above, I don't think Harvin lasts that long. I think he goes to Minnesota at 22.

4. fireguy404

fireguy404 New Member

Donald Brown is actually a junior (not a senior). Minor typo

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

A nicely done mock over all.

Freeman in the top ten would be a shock, but I agreee with both your Stafford and Sanchez picks, so its not totally out of the question.

I would send Cushing to NO over Matthews but as a supprise its not totaly unfounded. Ray Ray is simply not needed for the saints with Vilma in the middle unless they feel he could make the transition to the outside.

We can agree to disagree about Delmas beign better then Sean Smith.

At 32 I think Pitt really needs to go interior offensive line. Max Unger would be a perfect fit.

I liek the jets draft. Our RB situation looks very solid going into this year, but could really blow up next year. If Nicks falls that far its a no brainer.

Nice work and well thought out. :up:

6. jetsfaneh

jetsfaneh New Member

Solid Jets draft. Realistic even though Nicks falling that far is a slim chance. But put Iglesias there and this is great.

7. JetFanInPA

Thanks all for the feedback.

- Fixed the Donald Brown thing...
    - Yeah it seems like a longshot that Nicks falls that far even to me, but I think his pro day has something to do with that. If not, then its Juaquin Iglesias IMO.
    - I considered Unger for Pittsburgh, but went with Alphonso Smith. I was debating between the two actually..

8. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

The only issues I have with the Sanchez/Freeman picks is I think both those teams are in win now mode. While Mora Jr. is in his first year with Seattle them signing TJ Who'sYourMamma at 32 makes me think they're going for it this year. Same goes with Sanchez in Jacksonville. Del Rio's job isn't that safe and taking Sanchez isn't going to win them any more games in 2009.

Overall, very well done.

9. GreenMachine

Moreno and Nicks would be a nice draft day.

10. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I would love for that to happen even though i doubt Nicks falls that far

11. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Like Nicks but will he be there when we pick in the 2nd? We might have to trade up in the 2nd to land him and with Moreno in the 1st i would pass on. I Rather worry about RB next season since T.J. and Leon will both provide us with a solid season.

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Knowshon Moreno - I think he will probably be a good player in the NFL, but, he reminds me of our own LW way to much. Just the physical part of it, I just think we would be better off taking a solid power back instead. Chris Wells would be my wishful thinking first rounder. He is going to be a really good back, I have no doubt in my mind about it.

Nicks - I think Nicks goes a lot sooner then our 2nd rounder, but that would be sick. I would rather have Robiskie with our second rounder, but, I'm biased too. Moo..

Dorrell Scott - I hate this pick. I don't like this guy as a player what so ever. Especially in the third round. I would rather have... Alex Magee, Ricky Jean Fran, Corey Irvin, Lawrence Sidbury. I might be wrong, but I hate how he plays.

Anthony Hill - I know nothing about this guy. Will research.

Robert Brewster - I like this pick, but, I think he will go a lot sooner then this. Call it a hunch, I watched him play a lot in Muncie and he has long arms with some good feet. He is very aggressive and is the type that will try to hurt you on every play. His real weakness is his strength. Which he can easily improve in the weight room. He has a lot of upside. I think he could eventually be a starter. Right guard, maybe?

13. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Andre Smith not in first two rounds?

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Could be an oversight. Someone will take a chance on a guy of his size and talent, but his chances at being in the top ten are shot at this point. I would think later half of the first or early second. I do not want the Jets to touch him. Lazy and stupid is not the way I want my NFL lineman.

15. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I sure wouldn't let him get past 17. He is only three years from high school, dominated in the SEC. Until the bowl game had never been any problem. His agent is inexperienced and should be fired for letting him run without a shirt. Other 300lb lineman probably look like that but are smart enough to keep the shirt on. He would start or be primary backup at 4 positions. If any of our lineman got hurt right now I am not sure if we could have the punishing ground game coach wants. Our line has some age as well and he would have to be BPA at 17. I watched him for 3 years and he plays hard and drives his man in run blocking and very agile at 325+. Will only be better with further physical developement.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Juding by your name its no doubt you would take him at 17. If we really wanted to go O-line there will still be otehr good options at 17 with much less risk involved.

Smith came to the combine not prepaired and then bolted. His dedication to football comes into question right away with that. Out of shape and maknig poor judgements is not the way to handle the biggest job interview you will ever have.

Then, at his pro day he ran poorly, benched poorly, and was out of shape still. Its a sign that he is simply not putting the work in. not what I wanty out of a frist rounder.

His talent alone will get him drafted early, but he is not my type of player. Immuature and a poor work ethic. Not the type of guy I want to give millions to. I would have at least 5 tackles rated in front of him.