What about Jared Cook (6-5 249 TE SC) as a WR?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Section109Row15, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Section109Row15

Well someone earlier had asked if he could catch fade passes like Tony Gonzalez so I thought that picture illustrated that point.

USC was on Espn and CBS a lot. Obviously not all the games, especially the ones against the lesser teams, but a large amount. Actually my friend in SC was complaing that the games weren't even on TV there for several games.

2. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I've watched every game Jared Cook has played at USC, I'm a big fan.

Could he move to wr? No. He's too bulky, does not have the necessary explosiveness for wideout and he is a very good tight end. There is a sense in football that if someone is good at something, why change it?

He's a good tight end that is very similar to Keller. He will be a significant rookie contributor on another team.

3. Section109Row15

He is certainly not the prototypical WR. But WRs come in all shapes and sizes. If you watched all the SC games you would see that he was most often lined up in the slot and was originally a WR. His measurables are very similar to Colston, should Colston be a TE too?

We are gearing up to be a run-first, smashmouth, control the clock type team. Wouldn't it be an advatage to have a WR like Cook to help move the chains? He wouldn't need to burn past CBs, he could gain seperation simply by using his body as a shield and using his insane vertical leaping ability to come down with 7-10 yard passes with ease. Once making a catch he is a load for a CB to try to take down by himself. Having a huge WR would be a big asset in the run game as well. Him and Keller on the field at the same time would cause mismatches all over the field, I'm sure Schotenheimer would be able to design some very interesting formations to take advantage of the two of them. Imagine screen passes to Leon with these two paving the way for him? We would still have the prototypical WR in Cotchery and the burner deep threat in Clowny.

4. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I mean if he is around lets get him but its up to the front office in the end hopefully they can see his upside and go after him... becuz with DHB and Kenny Britt running 4.3 AND 4.4 we might take a shot at them too.. It all depends on the first move we make in the draft... we have been signing alot of defensive FA this off season so i dont know we could be safe with the first two picks being offensive

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Well to be honest, i wondered about cook, is he all but essentially Dustin Keller? Except maybe slightly better suited to be a WR? Because while the insanity that would come from the TE position and expecting LBs/Safeties trying to guard both Keller and Cook, but you cant run two TE sets if neither guy can block consistently... so if Cook could be a WR, then straight up he could easily benefit us especially with the ability to line him up as a TE in certain situations....

6. Section109Row15

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=60&articleid=32388

3. Jared Cook, South Carolina

Height/Weight: 6'5/246
    College Experience: Fourth-year junior
    Combine Nos.: 4.50 forty, 23x225, 41" vertical, 10'3" broad jump
    Comparison: Ben Watson
    2008 Stats: 37 - 573 (15.5) - 3 Tds

Positives: Cook's size-athleticism ratio is possibly the most impressive at any position in this draft. Being able to sky 41 inches and run 4.5 flat at 6'5/246 is almost inhuman. He could probably bulk up to 270 and still run sub-4.6. Cook is a mismatch waiting to happen at the intermediate and deep levels, and offers elite second-gear speed. Few linebackers and safeties will be able to stay with him. Cook showed annual improvement in college and hasn't begun to tap his long-term potential. He entered SC as a wideout/safety and has only 15 career starts at tight end.

Negatives: Cook is raw from every standpoint. He was often split out wide under coach Steve Spurrier and will have to learn to run routes in tight quarters. Cook is an indifferent blocker at times and highly inexperienced as an in-line tight end. He will basically have to rebuild his game from scratch in a pro-style offense and obviously is a project.

Verdict: Is Cook a football player or just an athlete? Some aspects of his profile are similar to Dustin Keller's a year ago, except that Keller clearly was passionate about all aspects of the game and boasted a far superior track record of production. Still, Cook's otherworldly upside is worth drafting on the first day and he could make a situational impact if used correctly in year one.

7. Section109Row15

8. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

We get this guy we make him a wide out and draw double teams all day freeing up all other receivers

9. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

Antonio Gates???

10. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Calvin Johnson!!!!

11. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

This kids going to be very good but at TE not wideout. We already got a similar talent in Keller.