What about Jared Cook (6-5 249 TE SC) as a WR?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Section109Row15, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Section109Row15

2. Section109Row15

3. Section109Row15

4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd take him in the 2nd, but I think he'll be gone by then..

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

6. Quack

Quack New Member

I generally don't understand the whole "one of each" approach on tight ends. There are offenses whose base sets are 3 wide, you can use two receiving tight ends in the same way as that. If most defenses will have trouble with one hybrid TE/WR, how much of a bitch would it be for them to deal with two at the same time? While it wouldn't be the same blocking ability as a big 2 TE set, it would allow you, with simple shifts and motions, to completely change your formation, and thus how the defense needs to act on a given play.

I would think that a good OC would be able to cause countless headaches for DCs with two receiving tight ends, and Keller - Cook would be one hell of a combination. Not that I'm completely for this, but it is certainly a thought worth entertaining.

7. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Did anyone else see that all 3 catches were nearly body catches? Not a good sign.

8. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I guess you missed watching the tapes... the first one whas over the shoulder and behind him so you have to position your body to catch most of the ball... the second one whas behind him again.. and the third one was all hands and in traffic looks like good catches to me.... But he doesnt have that top end speed.. but he is a big target to take down which i like as well..

9. Section109Row15

I wish there was more tape available because I've seen him make some amazing catches. That third video against UTK happened almost every game sometimes several times a game. Look at the size of the guys hands. Also keep in mind that he has a 41 inch vertical at 6-5. He is built for the NBA.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I've seen almost every single Carolina game in person over the last two seasons - Jared Cook is the real deal.

If Spurrier wasn't such a douche/the team had an experienced QB/ran any offense other than Spurrier's garbage, Cook would've been a top 15 pick...no doubt in my mind.

The quarterback play was so awful in 2009...Spurrier even tried to run a QB-by-committee offense where he rotated in a different QB every single play. No QB would be successful in that kind of system.

11. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

If he's there in the second, we haven't chosen a WR at 17, and some other WRs are gone by 52 (Robiskie, maybe Nicks), I definitely say why not. I like Cook a lot and although his game is similar to Keller, that would make for two pass catchers who give massive matchup problems. You could even split one of them out wide if necessary.

12. Section109Row15

He will not be there at our #53. His game is not similar to Keller, Keller is short and more stocky. Cook can be, should be, and originally was a WR. If you want to compare him to someone the closest match would be Colston, but Cook is even bigger, stronger, and faster than him. So I guess the question is if Colston were in the draft this year or if he were a free agent would you be ok with getting him?

13. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

^I was more referring to the fact that they're both pass-catching TE's, but fair enough.

14. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

It's hard to find any other tape on him, so I was was wondering. Those hilights must be poor examples. I couldn't tell if he catches that way because of the QB or if he is waiting for the ball(not snatching it).If anyone needs to see a good example go watch some Tony Gonzales hilights. We desperately need a guy who can catch a fade or a jumpball, I'm not sure Henry is the answer to that.

15. Section109Row15

[​IMG]

http://www.thestate.com/594/story/726970.html

Jared Cook caught 73 passes during his USC career and a few dozen more Wednesday during USC's pro timing day. But it was a catch Cook did not make that the tight end had to explain to scouts at the NFL combine last month.

Cook, one of the highest-rated tight ends in the draft, said he was asked "20-some times" about an interception at Clemson on a Chris Smelley pass thrown behind Cook, who reached back and deflected the ball to a Tigers' defender.

The play led to a sideline argument between Smelley and Cook and prompted USC coach Steve Spurrier to bench Cook for most of the second half.

"(Teams) just want to know what my thought process was and what exactly happened in the situation. So I had to explain to them. And they were asking why I thought that coach Spurrier did that," Cook said. "Coach Spurrier wasn't confident in the way I was playing. He thought I could have dove backwards for the ball and actually went and got it. That's something I just had to learn from."

16. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I'm not a fan of using our 1st on a WR because there will be some very solid WR available with the 2nd rounder.

Of Cook, Barden, and Britt, I'm confident one will be available when the Jets pick. All three would be big-time red zone threats and each capable of stretching the field too. I'd be perfectly content with them. Cook has very good hands and runs decent routes. Like MrElectric said, Spurrier didn't exactly coach in a manner to let Cook show off his skills. Put Cook in a real pro-style offense and he would have had a massive season- still wouldn't block worth a damn, but he'd put up the numbers. Cook look ridiculously cut in that pic.

Pettigrew had the same problem this year at Oklahoma State with the offense not going through him enough.Sign Becht as a blocking tight end or something. I want some playmakers.

#16 Gubernaculum, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  17. Section109Row15

Looks like he can handle any sort of fade or jump ball to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#17 Section109Row15, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Give me a break man -- you're posting pictures of a receiving tight end...catching a football.

I doubt there are any pictures out there of him dropping a pass.

To me it seems like you've bought into the Jared Cook post-combine hype. Have you ever seen him play outside of those youtube videos that barely offer anything?

19. Section109Row15

I thought you were on my side? Yes I have seen nearly every USC game from the past two seasons. The combine numbers simply validated what I already thought of him.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm on no one's side on this.

Yes, I like Jared Cook as a prospect, but I still think it's incredibly stupid to post a picture of him catching a jump ball followed by: "...looks like he can jump...AND...catch!"'

DC puts SEC games on TV or do you have College Gameplan or something?