Your feelings on possibly taking Vernon Davis at #4?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 23, 2006.

?

Would you be happy with Vernon Davis at #4?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2006.
  1. Yes, this is the kind of freak you simply can't pass up on.

23 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. No, there will be better players available.

31 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. I would be ok with it, but I think we should go in a different direction.

34 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

While I am not a supporter of taking a Tight end at 4, I think anyone can realize that this kid could be dominating force in the NFL.

Its obvious we have larger holes than Tight end, but we have no greater need then getting a playmaker on offense.

Vernon Davis, at nearly 6'4", 263 lbs and runs a 4.38 in the 40 yard dash. This kind of size/speed combination is almost unheard of in the NFL. With the same kind of leaping ability Antonio Gates possess, Gates could be a terror in the redzone for a VERY long time.

With a guy like Gates, Drew Brees became a probowl QB in a blink of an eye.

I don't think it is so far fetched that the Jets snatch this guy and plug him into the starting role day one.

The question is, how would you feel towards this pick?

I would be ok with, I think I would prefer Mario Williams or Matt Leinart if they were available, but I would like the pick.

#1 PennyandtheJets, Apr 23, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  2. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

With Scottenheimer I wouldnt be surprised if we go after Vernon Davis. He is very similar to Gates and we will be running a very similar offense to Sand Diego's so the TE will play a big part in it. Im not confident in our current TE's so Im sure an upgrade would happen, if Davis can dominate like Gates then I would gladly take him with the #4. I want Mario Williams and Leinart the most but they probably wont be available.

#2 BIG COUNTRY, Apr 23, 2006
  3. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

OK......while I dont say I support it, I am not against it. Anyone can see this kid is gonna be special. Like Mario Williams, he is a freak. That being said, if by any chance Williams or Bush happen to fall to us at 4 you gotta take them first. I would really think long and hard about taking Vernon over D'Brick and Leinart as well. I still think if Leinart is there at 4, we trade the pick to like the Raiders or Cards for a ton and in that spot we can take Davis.

4. JCnflies

JCnflies New Member

The only guys I would consider taking ahead of Davis are Super Mario and Leinert. I might skip Leinert, but I'd think about him......

5. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Ya know how i feel about Davis its either him or williams for me, since we cant trade down to get him we have to pick him there.

6. PennyandtheJets

Wow you guys have pretty much the same outlook on this topic as I do...

If Matt or Mario are there you have to take them instead, but this guy would be a nice pick...

7. Pennington2Moss

Pennington2Moss New Member

This kid looks great on paper, but he was a workout warrior, which scares me (See Thomas, Bryan). Also, the Jets have so many more holes than TE. If we take a TE at 4, when a player like Brick, Super Mario, or Leinart is still on the board I might flip out.

8. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

not at #4 but if we trade down, then hell yes

9. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

The niners will take Davis at 6 we cant do that.

10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I don't know what makes you think they'll take Davis... If it wasn't for 4.38 40-time and his good bench press stats, you would DEFINATLEY not be asking for him. He wasn't freakishly good in college, just at the combine. I'm not saying he wasn't a good college player, because he was a great pass-catching threat. Even though he had a good college career, he's too much of a workout warrior for me.

And plus, if the F.O. had any intention of drafting a TE this early, they wouldn't have resigned Chris Baker or kept Doug Jolley/Joel Dreessen.

But please be honest here. Just say he didn't bench press so much and ran say a 4.55. I garuntee nobody would be asking for him at #4. I would pick AJ Hawk or Mario Williams first. They were elite players in college. Vernon Davis was very good, but not in their class in terms of production.

11. PennyandtheJets

News flash bunkie...San Fran would snatch him at 6 without thinking. If we want Vernon, it has to be at 4. Of course we would all prefer trading down and still getting our man, but that doesn't happen often in the top 10.

12. PennyandtheJets

There is nothing wrong with liking a guy who had a good college career and then complete shocks everyone and at 260 pounds runs a 4.38...Just because he had an outstanding combine does not mean he is JUST a workout warrior...He is a workout warrior who can play some football

#12 PennyandtheJets, Apr 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2005
  13. k.Rhodes25

k.Rhodes25 New Member

thats the same as saying if reggie bush ran a 4.6 we wuldnt be talking about him as the first pik in the draft. the point is he did run a 4.38 and did bench pres alot which makes him worth considering with the 4th overall pik.

14. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I understand your concern for workout warriors, but this kid was not one. I saw him play live last year and believe me, he's worth all of the hype. If you haven't watched this video yet, you should:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq5g7O9YvwQ&search=vernon davis

If he wasn't UMD's only true offensive threat, he would've been even more productive. Obviously, it's not going to take 5 pro NFL tacklers to take him down like it did sometimes in college, but he would definitely be able to take a few hits before going down. Not only that, he has great footwork and hands (see the video; one handed catch and the TD where he runs down the sideline). If Mario is gone, it would be stupid not to strongly consider Vernon Davis.

EDIT: And btw to everyone....the man was fast enough to be a sprinter for UMD's track team and I believe he holds a bunch of weight room records there as well. He's also a class act and has said that his goal is to become the greatest TE to ever play the position.

#14 MobiusOne28, Apr 23, 2006
  15. Smokeeater

Smokeeater New Member

Taking any tight end that high brings back bad memories of Jonny Mitchell and Kyle Brady.

16. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

He is a freak and would love him on this team, but TE is just not a really a need for us. I'd rather us go mario williams if we stay at #4, but wouldn't be upset at all if we picked davis.

17. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

I would puke up all my beer and wings if we took this guy at #4. Does that answer your question?

18. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

almost 900 yards receiving plus 6 TDs playing for Maryland is pretty "freakishly good" if you ask me...

19. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

we have no threat on offense, nobody that scares opposing defenses. our offense was the WORST in the NFL last year...

20. PennyandtheJets

That statement right there says it all...we really do not have a single player that puts fear in the defense. Someone they have to gameplan around.