NJ Star Ledger: New York Jets monitoring Jay Cutler situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sunnygs97, Mar 16, 2009.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

with three young QBs on our roster, why in the hell would we want another rookie to compete?

If we sign Freeman I will be sick to my stomach and praying Ratliff tears him up so Tanny will finally get fired.

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Hey, I dont want to make this a "lets rip Tanny" thread...but Im not sure I trust this regime with picking qb's up to this point. While I back them with releasing qb's, even though he went on to find someone elses right arm and use it last year, I would prefer this team being built one side at a time. If the defense is great..the offense just needs to be good.

For all the hooplah over the Pats dynasty, they werent exactly shutting people out..in fact they have had some wild playoff games giving up a ton of points. Great defenses can win games backed by a smart, ball control offense..they even win superbowls...and they ALWAYS defeat great offenses with average defenses.

3. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Indianapolis Colts ring a bell?

4. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

Well, the Colts superbowl came because their defense stepped up, moreso than the offense. They got to the postseason on offense, yes, but they finished the job on defense.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Here's how the "source" mentioned it...

"Did you hear about Cutler?"

Source: "You mean did I read about it?'

"Yes, did you see the news?"

Source: "Yes"

"So you being part of the Jets, you are monitering it?"

Source: "I don't really know what you are getting at here, but if you mean I read about it, yes"

"Ok, (writes on pad, 'Jets monitering Cutler situation')"

"Ok, thanks....."

7. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

He's cleary working on a repeat. Then a threepeat!

8. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

For many reasons..I dont bye this example.

First off the Colt defense, out of nowhere, became a real force towards the end of that season and throughout the playoffs. It was never as good as it was during that 8 to 10 game stretch and was probably the reason Manning has only 1 ring instead of 3.

Secondly, they outscored teams. It was the one time when they played the Pats that all the head games they played on Manning couldnt succeed. The Pats defense was weaker then usual and exposed.

Its a tough example because for some strange reason...the Colts defense was just about better...if not the best during that entire run.

The same could be said for the Rams. Powerhouse offense that actually had a damn good defense.

After those two weak examples there are no more.

EDIT: After looking up that years stats..the Colts actually lead the AFC in fewest points allowed in 2005. So this stretch I was refering to was actually longer. They allowed 8 points in their first playoff game in 06,the year they won it, to the Chiefs and 6 Points in their second playoff game to the Ravens before the crazy game against the Pats when the beloved Pats folded like a cheap tent...38-34.

#48 jaywayne12, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  9. Rocinante

Rocinante New Member

Between Abzumul's avatar of Lord Hummungus and Canadian's avatar of the creepy guy from Lost, I simply do not know which is better!

10. doug4563

doug4563 Member

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Tanny's interview on satellite. Adam and Solly asked him him point blank "do you think the starter is on the roster?" and he responded "right now, one of the guys on the roster will be the starter" leaving the door wide open for the roster to change and a new QB be the starter. He went on to state that they are always looking to improve the team. To which Solly told him to watch the rocky mountains and Tanny responded "no comment, as Rex said a few weeks back, we want to keep our draft picks"