Malcolm Jenkins or Sean Smith

Discussion in 'Draft' started by inSANITy, Mar 5, 2009.

?

Who would you rather draft if both were there at 17

1. Sean Smith

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  2. Malcolm Jenkins

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  1. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

I dont know much about Malcolm Jenkins I know there are questions about his speed and he could possibly be moving to safety. I was wondering what you guys thought if both guys somehow fell to 17 who would you take.

Thay both are kind of tweeners between cb and fs

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Smith can truly play both due to his speed... Jenkins might be a safety only.

smith has the advantage... I wouldn't be upset him a 17. the more secondary help the better.

3. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

What has Sean Smith done to suggest that he's significantly faster than Jenkins?

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

game tape and combine.

5. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

what has jenkins done to prove he is faster than smith?

Im not a man of the combine but to argue your point smith did run a faster 40time

6. wesleywalker85

wesleywalker85 New Member

Just because you can run fast with no pads or gear on means your are the better player. it is your game speed that matters. there are players who are slower with gear on... there are players that are just as fast with their gear on. we need to see game film to add to the choice with these combine numbers.

7. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

This shouldnt be a question. Malcolm Jenkins is far and away the better prospect. And hell play corner in the NFL.

8. DraftaFullBack

Jenkins ran a 4.55

Smith ran a 4.53

I wasn't saying Jenkins is faster, my point was that saying Smith can player corner and Jenkins can't because of their 40 times is ridiculous.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Another thread on corners or safeties. We won't spend our first round pick on either. Let it sink in.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Sean Smith is the better all-around pro prospect. He's fast on the field too.

Smith was recruited a wideout, but he was converted to cornerback -- tons and tons of athleticism.

He's 6'4 214 right now - that's almost unreal size for a defensive back.

Jenkins looks like he can't play corner at the next level. Smith looks like he can play both corner and safety.

Versatility is what puts Smith higher than Jenkins on my board.

11. DraftaFullBack

I'd love to know where this whole "Jenkins can't player corner" nonsense came from.

12. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

I love CBs and RBs, theyre the positions I watch most of the time in games. Every game I saw of OSU, Jenkins stood out. He was always in the right position and his tackling is awesome. Im not sure how you can say he might not be able to play CB.

13. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Right there with ya.

14. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Most draft gurus in the NFL have said it its been on TV since the combine at least. I found one real quick saying it below.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/563623

15. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Which is why the combine blows..penis..large penis.

16. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Absolute nonsense, Whichever position he ends up playing in the pros Malcolm Jenkins is still the consensus #1 DB in this draft, find me a reputable source that has Smith rated higher, Smith doesn't make the top 5 on most boards I've seen. Jenkins has been the #1 DB prospect all year and backed it up with great play against tough opponents, as to COmbine scoring:
    Player 40 Bench Press 3 cone 20 yard Shuttle
    Jenkins 4.55 15 6.59 4.07
    Smith 4.53 10 6.92 4.15

This alone isn't a definitive thing, but Jenkins was the best at the 3 cone and 5th for 20 yard shuttle, showing fluid hips, and great change of direction ability needed to be a corner, Smith on the other hand looked stiff, his 3 cone and shuttle were among the worst, and he showed little upper body strength.

Edit- I would bet that Jenkins ends up at CB and Smith at FS, though it will depend somewhat who gets them, Jenkins I can see going as high as 9 to GB, I can't see him falling past the back to back picks of NO and HOU at 15/16. Smith I think goes in the 2nd though the ravens might snag him near the end of the 1st I bet they prefer Alphonso Smith. He could be as low as the late 2nd depending on how teams feel he stacks up against moore, delmas, butler and johnson

#16 Cellar-door, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

The question is which player is a better fit for the Jets. I think Sean Smith will be a better fit, his flexibility to play different coverages. I'm not sold on Jenkins being converted to Safety. If Jenkins could run a bit faster, he would have been a top 5 pick.

I believe this is all moot, some team, probably San Fran, Green Bay or New Orleans will take Jenkins.

Smith should be available at 17.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I would love Smith at 17. We would have a truely dangerous set of Safty's then. If Rex truly wanted a attacking D this would be a huge step to solidify that.

19. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i would rather get a wr with our 17...unless we tradied for a nickel back in shepard

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Watching B-More.....Rex really utilized his secondary as weapon, they didn't sit back and wait for plays to be made. The more flexible, athletic DBs you have , the more succesful Rex's defense will become. Even though we signed Leonhard & Sheppard, we need more depth and quality in the secondary. Listening to Rex's Conference Call the other day...he hinted we are not done getting more CB/S help. I'm assuming since the Corey Ivy talks have cooled, he has someone in mind in April's draft.