Most Important Draft Ever?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by luvdemjets1998, Apr 21, 2006.

1. luvdemjets1998

luvdemjets1998 New Member

I'm sitting here watching ESPN this morning and Chris Mortenson, Tom Jackson and Mel Kiper was breaking down our situation and our draft possibilities. They don't know who we should get. QB Matt Leinart? OT D'Brickishaw Ferguson? DE Mario Williams? Should we take a QB at #4 even though we have 2 QBs? If we don't, what if we go through the same situation like last season and be in the same shithole? Not to mention, both Pennington and and Ramsey are knocking on the age of 30 and whatever skills they do have will start to decline within the next couple of years. What about our strategy? Since a QB isnt a neccessity, maybe we should use our 29th pick on a QB. More than likely Alabama QB Brodie Croyle will be available. There are so many possibilities. So many outcomes. The decisions the FO makes could make our franchise or set us back for years. To make matters even more strenuous, we have a rookie HC and a rookie GM.

Then i thought, hey this is the Jets most important draft to date. I realized how significant this was. I haven't been a jet fan as long as some of you other guys, but hey i know some of them would agree this ranks up there with other draft days. I wanna get your opinion. Given, the situation we're in and all the choices we could make, is this our most important draft ever?

#1 luvdemjets1998, Apr 21, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  2. Gunther

Gunther Member

It is one of the most important in recent memory as far as I can remember.
    There are so many holes to fill and there are some quality players out there and perhaps a few Hall of Famers.
    With that being said, the Jets need to get a Hall of Fame caliber player with the 4th pick. I know that it's asking alot, but this franchise needs a boost with some energy and fire. That fire has to start with the first pick in this draft.
    We also have to draft players who will contribute to this franchise now and the years to come. The year Bill left, he made some great pick-ups in the draft. We need to have a draft like that. Multiple players making immediate contributions

3. MedyrsChild

MedyrsChild New Member

This franchise has to treat every draft like it's the most "Important Draft Ever"

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

^HAHAHA. Good show.

5. MedyrsChild

MedyrsChild New Member

Thank you sir. The sad thing is it's the gods honest truth. Ain't nothing funny about it...

6. lebojets

lebojets New Member

This draft by far is the most important of the history of this team. If they dont get it right it will set them back for years. But dont worry they will score an A for this one. Croyle at 29 is too high even at 35 is too high. But if they want him and i think they do if they what to 71 he could be gone. Ferguson is going to the Saints so at 4 we get Williams or Hawk and at 29 we can get Winston Or McNeill unless Maroney is in the board, then they have a real decesion to make.

7. USAFJETSFAN

USAFJETSFAN New Member

In a way yes, with new management the team is under the microscope. The media, fans and the NFL are looking at Tangini to see what they have. In my opinion drafting a QB with the 1st pick will kill em( I want Leinart more then any other QB but I am starting to question his intentions and if his head will be in it and not in the glamour of being in a big city). With the history of QB's in the NFL drafted in the 1st and the amount of money that will be demanded by him it is to much of a crapshoot (especially for a first year tenure Coach and GM). I believe it would be wise to go outside the realm of QB and look at the 2nd or 3rd for one.We should go D'Brick,Mario,Hawk. If not we look for a trade down.

8. lebojets

lebojets New Member

We agree especially on Leinart. I feel he will be an average to decent Qb anyway so i dont want him. Williams is the higher rated player and the big splash but Hawk is the sure and safe pick and with Mangini calling the shots and his bloodline of linebackers they will probably choose Hawk. I think that they say Williams takes plays off they might look at him as another Abraham but 25lbs bigger. Either way they get a great player.

9. The Mariner

The Mariner New Member

Most important ever?? It doesn't matter <i>when</i> you draft good players; you're supposed to try to draft them all the time! Some years are good and some years are not so good; it's rare that a single draft ever turns a team around. The fate of this team, or any other, has never hinged on a single draft. For the Jets, it was the years and years of Blair Thomases and Johnny Mitchells that led to all the mediocrity. If you pick good players in years when you don't desperately need them, then you probably won't ever be in that situation.

This is why I am such a strong advocate of BPA.

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

this is dumb, every draft is important

i guess this is the most important cuz we have a new coach and GM?

so everytime a franchise hits bottom and brings in new people this is a make or break yr?

seriously, im a younger fan, but if u wanted to apply the same sense of urgency us fans feel this yr for the right move to be made, then the older fans have lived pastlives. dieing to be rebirthed in order to witness "THE MOST IMPORTANT DRAFT EVER!"

i guess the 1st quarter is the most important quarter in the game.

gimme a break,new team, new attitude, same old fans.

11. luvdemjets1998

luvdemjets1998 New Member

no it seems that u dont understand, my friend. its imperative that we make a great move in this draft and given that we have new faces everywhere in the FO, a lot of things are uncertain and very unpredictable.

12. Jollygreenjet

Jollygreenjet Moderator

Why is this dumb? I think this is one of the most important drafts we've had in some time. We have a lot of picks and a lot of holes to fill. There are a ton of questions marks about some of the guys we have that will be forced to start this year. We may not have a draft with this many picks for years to come, and thats why we have to take advantage of every single pick. I'm not in any way discrediting all the other drafts, as they are all important. But this one means a little more to me at this day and age, considering the mess this franchise was in with all the cap issues, and the amount of good solid players that we've been forced to let go over the past two seasons. We have a young coaching staff and many changes have been made. A very solid draft would be a good way to put a back bone in this franchise for many years, if we get lucky enough...

And what exactly does this mean? You are right! new team, new attitude, same old ignorant responces......Give me a break!

13. Chadwick I

Chadwick I Member

So what about all of the other drafts after the FO got some new faces?

14. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

All drafts are very important...but this one is very important. The picks will determine the direction this team goes in, whether building a huge D or becoming a balanced team.

EDIT: Milestone alert- Post 500!

15. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I think this draft is very important but there's more to making a good team than just the draft. I feel confident about Mangini-Tannenbaum and their abilities, but I really have nothing to base this on yet, so call it wishful thinking at this point.

I stated this before, but I don't look for Tangini to do anything outlandish or over-the-top with this draft. Expect vanilla, fellas, because that's what you're going to get. No wild trades, no off-the-wall moves. These are brand new guys who will go by the book and who aren't yet ready to be "cowboys" (no pun intended), ala Jimmy Johnson. They'll be making solid, no-nonsense selections based on BAP, our needs and what they thought of any of these personnel who they interviewed and worked out (if applicable).

For that reason, expect us to probably take Ferguson. In other words, expect the expected. But now... should Fergie be gone and Leinart is available... hmmm.....

As analytical and conservative and vanilla as I expect them to be I also see a side of them that's daring and bold. This is going to be one, interesting weekend and I can't wait!

16. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

You cant say one is more important than then others, each year you are building the future ofyour franchise

17. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

This is the most important draft ever because of all the talent coming out and the position were sitting in with all of our picks.

18. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Remember 2000?