Why not Vince?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Richiebsweet, Apr 19, 2006.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You're trying to make an argument against Vince Young based on his intelligence which you've evaluated from the wonderlic exam, yet your arguments are practically unreadable. I find that ironic. I disagree with your argument. Based on historical results I've already posted, the results of this test don't translate to a bad NFL QB. You don't seem to have recognized that that post exists.

I don't think I'm real smart, but like most people on this forum I can create complete sentences using elementary English.

2. Jets1028

Jets1028 New Member

I think he was a good QB but just take into account that his team was solid and they had a big part in those 4 SB's.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Every SB team is usually solid but QB play makes a huge difference. Take a look at the passes he completed for TD's in the SB. They guy was fantastic and with a lesser QB they would have not been a SB team. They were great in an era where there were other great teams challenging them every year.

4. Jets1028

Jets1028 New Member

Again your halarious, my spelling might be bad, but im just typing and trying to prove a point, and it seems like your one of those tough guys who try to pick fights over the computer, i respect people like you. and i dont think im very smart as well, since im only 17 im just saying what i think on Vince Young, and the players im bringing up Bradshaw and such its from watching films on him and reading about him, so you guys might have a little disadvantage...

5. akibud

akibud Active Member

"since im only 17 im just saying what i think on Vince Young,"

well then now I get it.. I completely understand where you are coming from.. 17 and declaring Vince Young a retard.

Well, I too was once ...17.. may the force be with you Jets1028.. you will hopefully be around long enough to see yourself grow wiser..

6. akibud

akibud Active Member

oh... B.T.W....... I'm taking tback that beer cheers I offered you before.... you're not old enough..:drunk:

7. Jets1028

Jets1028 New Member

Again, 83classk.OBrian im voicing my opinion. Basing on his test results i dont think he is that smart. I also think he wont be a great player in the NFL.

8. Jets1028

Jets1028 New Member

O'Brain i understand the wise ass remarks, but whats up with some of these guys trying to be tough in front of the monitor? Why must people make remarks which are totally off topic when i try to say something?

That Typing remark really cut me deep :wink:

9. akibud

akibud Active Member

well my son !!! ..:rofl: ( I could'nt resist ) it is just easier for some of us to attack a percieved weakness than not... It is the human thing instinctively... How you deal... will eventually make you stronger...

and then you too can go kick sand in some guys face on the beach.. :rofl2:

keep your chin up !!! and stick with your beliefs..

10. Jets1028

Jets1028 New Member

WOW!:eek:hmy:

Now can you tell me where Babies come from?

:lol:

#90 Jets1028, Apr 20, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  11. akibud

akibud Active Member

Hey NOW!!!!!!don't get smart with me!!:smile:

what was the thread subject again??... oh yeah!! Vince Young......

.........and that's why Vince Young.. will be the best NFL QB ever...PERIOD!!!!!

12. WhiteShoeWillis

OK I don't see how I'm trying to be a tough guy but whatever man. Obviously there's no point in trying to argue my point here.

:beer:

13. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

Here's my #1 argument for Vince Young over Matt Leinart: motivation

I remember when Ricky Williams came back for his senior year at Texas. He had nothing to gain from it. He arguably could have gone higher in the draft by coming out. But he said he enjoyed the college life too much. Guess what? It turned out he may have enjoyed it a little too much as his NFL career showed he never had the motivation to dominate the way he did in college on a consistent basis.

Now contrast VY and Leinart. Both won national championships with a year left of eligibility. Neither had anything to gain by coming back. Leinart stayed in school, citing his desire to experience another year of college life. Vince opted to go pro, saying that he is ready and motivated to be a HOF quarterback.

Being a college fan, I love to see kids stay in school. But sometimes a kid coming out early is not only about money. Sometimes it shows a determination to compete and achieve at a higher level. I see more motivation in Vince to succeed in the NFL than I see in Leinart. Couple that with the fact that Vince showed marked improvement between his sophomore and junior seasons in college while Leinart has more or less leveled out, and I think Vince projects better to be a success in the NFL. I think he will work harder and prepare better, and I believe he will already be a better QB than Leinart in his first year as a pro.

The majority of busts in the NFL are kids who lacked enough will, heart, or motivation. It is rare that you see a kid who is athletically gifted and also motivated to succeed who ends up a bust. Knowing what I know about VY's will and competitive drive, it is impossible for me to see him failing at the next level barring serious injury. (Note: He never missed a single game in college due to injury, despite all those carries and hits)

#93 borna'horn, Apr 20, 2006
  14. WhiteShoeWillis

excellent point!

15. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

I just want to say to all the Vince Young supporters out there as myself, you guys are the real talent evaluators. In one of his seasons, Vince amassed 13 victories while Cutler amassed 11 in his whole career. I'm looking past race and only football creditantials and the talent displayed on game day. Leinart or Young will truly be the true QB dilemma the JETS will have to face come draft day.

Let's face it, the Wonderlic did have much to do with Vince's stock but it doesn't mean crap because on the football field you need players that know how to play. You don't want a doctor under center you want a football player, you want Vince Young. It's not like he has never taken a snap from under center in his whole entire life he did play high school football which brought him to the doors of the University of Texas where he has shined in every BIG GAME.

The throwing motion of Vince Young doesn't and shouldn't have any affect of where he gets drafted. The guy is 6'5 not 5'11. Passes will be batted down, players will get sacked, it's just part of the game. Vince has a tremendous arm and when he is on the field he makes great throws with tight spirals. Critics will find any excuse to bring him down but his throwing motion didn't effect him in college and it shouldn't effect him in the pros.

Vince Young will be to the NFL, what Michael Jordan was to the NBA, enough said. With the forth pick the New York Jets select Vince Young, BELIEVE IT.

16. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

In his freshman season at UT, Vince showed he knows how to come in and take over a team. As a backup against Kansas State, he rallied the team to victory with both his arm and his legs, and the legend began. He has a knack for winning. He has a knack for knowing what has to be done, whether it be via the pass or the run. He has on-the-field decision-making that you just cannot coach. Do they test that on the Wonderlic?

I have a graduate degree and a law degree. I usually score in the top 5% of diagnostic exams. Give me Vince Youngs's body and athleticism, and I still could not do what he does. I'm too cerebral to possibly make the split-second decisions he makes. He gets a feel for what he wants to do and he just does it. There is no way a written test can show that ability.

His test was the Rose Bowl, and his test administrator was Pete Carroll. And he passed with flying colors.

#96 borna'horn, Apr 20, 2006
  17. akibud

akibud Active Member

quite eloquent counselor..... like I've been saying all day.. this kid has "IT" and I can't wait to see it. It does'nt even matter that the Jets won't draft him.. I am a fan of many athletes in many sports around the world. I will still get my fix.. and when he is torching the Jets... I'll be a little forlorn.. a little..

18. NYJ1012

NYJ1012 Banned

amen to that, go horns!:beer:

19. NYJ1012

NYJ1012 Banned

the more you post the more i think you're the illiterate one...

20. Jets1028

Jets1028 New Member

That's it? Thats all your going to say? Your just in this forum to contradict what my opinion is? Well, i am fasinated with your argument you give us some cold hard facts, keep up with the good work.