What Would YOU Do To Get Back Under the Cap?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by EcKo151, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

There is only one way Coles gets an extension based on this years performance.......If Tannenbaum smokes some crack, lets Jay Feely kick him in the nuts 50 times and then has 5 LA cops beat him like Rodney King. Then and only then will Tannenbaum be loopy enough to give Coles an extension. Unless of course Coles was talking hair extensions.

2. moonbog

moonbog New Member

There are a lot of guys past their prime earning huge dollars this year and all should be cut. These players are nothing but ordinary at best.

Favre 13.000 Can't see him coming back.
    Ellis 4.650 Ready to move on.
    B. Moore 5.461 Really, is he worth that kind of cap hit?
    d.Barrett 3.710 Bye
    C. Baker 2.100 Not at this price.

That's 28 million right off the top, not counting various other restructurings.
    We can easily be $25 million under the cap this off season and it would be worth dumping these average players for a couple of legit difference makers.
    A big tall WR is a must. And a DE who can get to the QB.

We can build depth and replace the players we're cutting through the draft and through some smart FA signings. There's gotta be a RG out there we can sign for less the 5.5 million. Or sign another tackle and move Woody to RG. Barrett will not be a loss at all. Hell, we've been trying to draft a starter to replace him for 3 years.

Anyway, happy about RYAN. Let's see where he takes us.

3. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Moore won't be going anywhere unless it's a trade or something. He's actually kind of a leader on our line, and also the team's PA rep. I don't think Ellis is going to be cut either, a restructure for both of them is necessary though.

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I have a bad feeling about our cap situation.

5. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

How does the cap expiring in 2010 affect all of this? I mean if Tanny simply restructured several contracts to defer salary to a year when there is absolutely no cap, it would seem like the perfect solution. Pay guys as much as they want when there's no cap. This year, while we still do have a cap, we should keep the payroll as low as possible to leave room to sign some FA's.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Isn't there still time to agree to a cap in 2010? If so, that would be a very risky approach.

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

off the top this is what i see expendable.....released or not re-signed

barrett
    bryan thomas
    barton

IMO the above three are easy.....the next 2 i am not so sure but.....

ellis
    moore

i am sure the jets would get close to even with those 5 moves. favre is the wild card.

without favre and maybe a re-structure of a couple others we could easily be in play for 2-3 FA signings for our new head coach.

jil

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

Wait a minute here. If Favre does not retire, we know that Tannenbaum and Johnson want him back. So then what?

9. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

I would cut:
    Brett Favre (ask him not to return, whatever)
    Bryan Thomas
    David Barrett
    Drew Coleman
    Chris Baker.

10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

God I hope we get rid of Coleman overpaid contract. He's going to make almost $5million next yr and isn't even worth $2 million. 0.5 sack this yr. Yes, thats half a sack in the 14 or 15 games he started.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Rhodes has a cap cost of 10.5 million this year and that is just insane. Third highest on the team if Favre stays. He has to be one to renegotiate.