Options at QB for 2009

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by firemanedjr, Jan 6, 2009.

?

QB in '09?

1. Brett Favre

37 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Kellen Clemens

52 vote(s)
    20.1%
  3. Brett Ratliff

111 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Kurt Warner

6 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Jeff Garcia

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Grossman/Boller

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. Derek Anderson

9 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. Billy Volek

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. Mark Sanchez

23 vote(s)
    8.9%
  10. Tim Tebow

10 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

I waited to give my input here.

I say Kellen Clemens. The guy looked good enough in college to be considered by some a top prospect coming out, and looked good enough in the 2007 preseason for us to clamor for him to start. When he finally got the chances, he was decent, considering the awful offensive line and running game. Remember the moxie he showed in the Baltimore game? We would've had a great comeback win if it wasn't for McCareins' awful hands.

In a season where we won only 4 games, he went 3-5 in his 8 games as a starter. That's not bad for a first year starter on that team. He's the best option on the roster now.

If we get Warner or Kitna, I'd start them, but nobody else over KC.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Imo there's no rational basis to think Ratliff is the man.

3. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

True, but no reason not to hope that he isn't the man.

4. Determination#4

Determination#4 New Member

You are right but "rational" and the Jet's QB debate does not seem to be going hand in hand at the present moment !!

5. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I voted for Sanchez, just for the sake of making fun of his name.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

There is no QB currently on the team that will be starting next year..that leaves Warner, Favre or somebody acquired through a trade. Even Warner is a long shot as he will have a lot of suiters if he does become a FA and it looks like he will now.

7. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

I think Tebow will be a good NFL player - as a FB.

8. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

I like Sanchez from USC. He looked like a star in the Rose Bowl game. Very strong arm and good command of the offense. He could make all the throws with ease. If he fell to us, I'd have to say we should take him. But as a Junior it's no sure thing the guy will even be in this year's draft.

9. Don

More people think he will be a FB or a line backer or a safety then think he will be a QB. He hits hard but has never really taken a snap that wasn't out of the shotgun. He really doesn't project well as a QB in this league.

10. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

You didn't give the option, but if Favre is not back, you definitely need a veteran QB to back up if not start, and Jon Kitna may be the most attractive available option there.

I don't think Clemens, backed up by Ratliff and Ainge -- let's be honest, Clemens is the only one of the current three backups who is a realistic potential starter for week 1 -- is secure enough to go with and not get a veteran as well.

But then again, Packers went into this year with three QBs with a combined 0 starts and 70 pass attempts in NFL. so bigger risks have been taken before ...

#50 puddnhead, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  11. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Brett Ratliff all the way. Its time to unveil the JETS version of Tom Brady.

12. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Fellas, jumping the gun a little on Ratliff, aren't we? I mean, let's see if he can win the job this offseason, then keep Kellen off his heels.

It has got to be Kellen's job if Favre goes....and I think we need to see what Kellen can do with some good pass protection and a running game. He's got to be more accurate that Favre and his arm is probabaly more powerful right now too.

13. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Given a good OL and a solid running game, I think Clemens could be a fine QB. He's got a strong arm and a good command of the offense by now. I'd finally like for him to get his shot (especially if he doesn't have to run for his life every play like in 2007). Besides it's either now or never for him since his contract will be up soon.

Of course I think he'd have to win the job from Ratliff and Ainge in training camp. But if Clemens is half the QB I think he is, that shouldn't be a problem.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You can't just choose a Qb based on hope and "wouldn't that be cool!" The reality is the FO is not going to turn the team over to a walk on with no NFL game experience.

That would be Ratliff I am referring to.

And forget about going to camp and picking the better of Clemens or Ratliff. That only happens if there are no other options. Can you imagine if the Jets hired a new HC and he said at his introduction that the plan was to let Clemens and Ratliff fight it out for the starter, with the loser being backup, and no vet Qb on the roster? I don't know what would be louder, the screams or the hysterical laughter.

15. Don

You're in good shape then because Clemens is most definitely half the QB you think he is.

16. riggo1

riggo1 New Member

JP Losman

he already won one game for us this year.

17. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Want Favre next season but also want us to take Tebow if he on the board.

18. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Kellen Clemens failed miserably in his stint as QB. Going into the 2008 season pre-Favre he was failing miserably again in the QB competition between him and Chad. Brett Ratliff performed well enough in pre-season to earn a chance in my book. I know it may be premature basing it on pre-season,but Ratliff did everything right and nothing wrong.

Would the JETS pick Tebow at 17 and bypass a pass rusher,#1 WR, secondary help or LB. If hes available?

19. Zcore

Zcore New Member

I would take McNabb or Tebow

20. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

McNabb wasnt 1 of the choices. He would be intriguing.