Why Hasn't Our D-Coordinator Been Fired Yet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BK_Jetsfan, Jan 6, 2009.

1. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Have I missed this firing? Am I losing my mind? Or are we just waiting for a new HC? I don't get it.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He's in the running for the HC position.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

That hiring would surely end in Woody's demise.

4. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Are you trying to make a grown man cry this morning?

5. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Yes, because I would kill him.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Actually, my bad, I thought it said O-coordinator. As far as I know Sutton is not a HC candidate.

7. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I don't think Woody and Mr. T can be so deluded that they are seriously considering keeping him as the DC. My guess is they're waiting on the Coach to let Sutton go or demote him to a Positional coach.

8. NYJ4LF

NYJ4LF Member

God help us all if that happened.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Here's my thinking on Bob Sutton: Good practice coach, terrible in-game manager.

I'd keep him on as a positional coach so that he'd be able to prep the guys in practice. Just don't allow him to have the ability to call a play during games.

10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

word is they are giving Sutton total control of coaching as well as football operations...

they feel he's a better fit then cowher and is a real football guy....

11. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I agree very much, he has gotten a raw deal, if he makes it as head coach we will have dynasty years ahead

(sarcasm), just because emotions are high I posted that

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Maybe the rightfully feel he would end up with either the Pats or Miami as a position coach and as long as he's under contract, why not see if the new HC and DC want to retain him as a position coach rather than have him move on to a competitor. The fact that he doesn't appear to be a great DC doesn't mean he isn't an outstanding teacher on the field and could be a great assett to the new staff.

13. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Sutton has to go. No way around it. At the very least he has to be demoted from D-Coordinator. Let him go back to being the Linebacker coach or something.

14. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

The better question should be, why wasn't he fired after the Denver debacle when Mangina took over defensive duties? Or why was he still on the staff after '07?
    I've been convinced for over a year this man did nothing but keep Mangina well stocked with gum.

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Why fire the guy so soon? The new Head Coach will likely reshuffle the staff, and he may keep Sutton on as a LB coach or something.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Let's hope he's not a DC candidate, either!

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The new coach will decide who stays and who goes. Why does everyone have such issue with this? Bob Sutton will not be the DC next year, he may be the LBs coach but he won't be the DC.

18. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Best post in the thread.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They're not going to fire any assistants until all the good head coaching candidates have walked away laughing at us and we're really screwed.

Baltimore did it right last year: fire the entire coaching staff and then let the new coach decide who he wanted to rehire.

I believe that the reason we're doing it the way we are is that nobody thought Mangini was getting fired as short a time as a week before he went. The Jets were afraid to fire the other coaches because they had no clear plan in place to hire Mangini's replacement and they were afraid that the good or promising assistants on the staff would wind up getting picked off by other teams in the vacuum that developed after Mangini was fired.

Truth be told they'd still be better off if they'd fired them all (except Westhoff) and let the new head coach sort it all out when he got in. They'd probably have gotten more of a look-see from Cowher if he didn't see a huge mess developing in front of him.

I'm a little bit curious about where we're going here at this point. I figured Woody was going to throw a ton of money at Cowher to try to lock him up fast, but that obviously was not in the cards. It's looking to me at this point like we'll wind up with a coordinator with no prior head coaching experience or possibly a failed head coach in the top spot. I'm not sure I see us moving forward well in that situation. Hiring Bill Callahan would be like hiring Dick Jauron in Buffalo: probably just a 3 year timesink. Hiring Grimm or Spagnuolo would be like hiring Romeo Crennel in Cleveland, a quality person who may well have no clue how to manage a full roster. Really only Rex Ryan looks even remotely appealing in that class of candidate and I kind of wonder if he's going to be like hiring Marvin Lewis, the last high profile DC from the Ravens that landed a head coaching gig.

I really want the Jets to hire a successful former coach, preferably from the pro ranks, to help stabilize the franchise and set us on a winning path. Marty Schottenheimer is literally 10x more valuable than any of the candidates I mentioned above, and I'm taking into account the fact that he's not a good playoff coach. He's a great regular season coach and he leaves talented rosters (Cleveland late 80's, Kansas City late 90's, San Diego mid 00's) behind when he leaves town.

#19 Br4d, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  20. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

I wouldn't trust Sutton to coach my dog.