It not Farve.. its the WRs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jaybny, Jan 5, 2009.

1. jaybny

jaybny Banned

I agree Favre sucked it up, but I believe it was due to his frustration/confidence with the WRs routes...

Its just opinion.

2. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Favre isn't completely sucky but I do think he's washed up. He's old and injured and we're supposed to be rebuilding. I just don't see Favre as our best option.

I thought there were changes made on the Oline after last season.. my mistake.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He is going to be 40 next season, he is a guy who relies on great natural talent, lightning quick reflexes, not experience, guile or brains. If he had the last three you would think he would have shown it when he was hurt by toning down his game a bit.

As you age, lung capacity drops, lactic acid builds up quicker in the muscles, your legs break down, your eye sight is not as acute, your hearing isn't as good and your lightning quick reflexes start to go. Some of that can be over come by experience but I don't believe Favre can over come it with a new system and new terminology. He will simple be dealing with all the negatives that age does to the body with none of the advantages that experience would normally give you as compensation.

4. azpackjetfan

azpackjetfan New Member

Hard to figure. One hand it seems that Favre has lost a great deal of arm strength on a lot of those sideline throws. Because, I am used to seeing him throw those on a rope to either the inside or outside of the receiver. And yet, it seemed he put way too much air under almost all of those.

And, then bam, you would see flashes of the good Favre throwing a rocket to Cotchery or Coles in traffic with a lot of heat on it to move the chains on 3rd and 9.

I still remember in the Patriots game on that last drive when he rolled right and threw a bullet to Coles on a crossing route coming from the left to the middle of the field.

Something had to have happened, because I didn't see another pass like that the rest of the year.

Plus, as his play deteriorated, even the "good" passes were almost always behind the receiver. His accuracy went to crap and there has to be a better reason than he's just washed up. He was darn accurate and effective only 6 weeks ago.

In Tennessee, the ball was coming out so quick and right on the receiver almost every time in stride. His decisions were excellent. How can it fall off so dramatically in a month. There's more to this story.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain it not Farve.

6. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

I understand all that. Unfortunately, I require no explanation :) My point was that people were saying the exact same thing three years ago about him too. And they were wrong, as 2007 amply proved. Yes, it will happen someday. But you seem to think that six weeks of aging (from mid November to December) did all that damage to his abilities, which strikes me as an extremely rapid decline. Isn't it possible that, given we now know he is injured, that the injury is a much more believable explanation for the decline than aging 50 days?

If you can get past that, then the questions become -- if he even wants to come back at this point, the way people are ripping into him -- 1) can he heal/will he have surgery, 2) will another nine months of aging bring on the inevitable decline for good, 3) will he go through offseason conditioning this time? He worked out the full offseason before 2007 and he credited it with much of his success, so if he bothers to come back I'd think he'd be inclined to make it worth it by conditioning in offseason this time.

7. TJones20

TJones20 New Member

this thread is retarded, favre sucked it up and this is why we lost, idc what anyone says about mangini or the receivers, bottom line is favre didnt do jack when it came down to crunch time, hell clemens coulda played betters games at the end o the year

8. Ralphw

Ralphw New Member

Plaxeco Burress

9. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Please stop the relentless defending of favre..... The criticism is not all warranted, but the blind defense of his horrible play is really getting gross..

10. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

How many balls bounced off Coles into Defenders hands???

11. JetsLookingforDWare

It's neither. It was the coaches.

12. chopke

chopke New Member

What makes more sense: that all of our WRs suddenly forgot the routes they've been running for a few years, or that the new guy hadn't learned the offense yet?

13. Formerpackfan

Formerpackfan New Member

WTF Favre took his team to an NFC championship last year. Look at the Packers this year without him. Helps take a 4-12 team to 9-7 and he joined the Jets 1 week into preseason. Learns a whole new offense with new players to get into sync with. WTF do you cry babies want.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Right now I just want a QB that wasn't the worst Qb in the league.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Regarding Favre, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. His detractors here ignore that he was getting it done not very long ago, likely got injured the middle of this season and we know how the Jets keep that sort of thing quiet, and of course the CS has been mediocre at best. His defenders ignore that he threw many bad passes and did not get it done, and most of all that his prospects for returning to fitness and form are somewhat questionable. Putting aside all that his defenders also ignore the medium to long term needs of the Jets to find a Qb who will last more than one more season, which I think even his defenders would say Favre should not be looked to for more than that.

But regarding the quote above, we went into this season having a huge question mark at the #3 WR spot, and never answered it. Coles got banged up again and on several occasions either gave up on his route or let a defender intercept a ball unchallenged. I love to see Cotch play well, but he cannot succeed against double teams, and neither of these guys scare anybody as deep threats. Going back to the #3 issue, Keller was touted as a possible answer despite nominally being a TE, but that only worked briefly in mid season. The truth of the matter is the Jets had huge question marks at wideout coming out of 07, and they still do. It's just not a very good group of receivers. Clowney might be good, but we know that Stuckey, Smith and Wright are not pushing anyone else out of playing time.

In other words, whoever the Qb is, these receivers are not great.

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

A QB with both a brain and an arm. Favre and Pennington should join Dorothy in search of that wonderful wizard.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Blind defense of his bad play is wrong, but so is blanket-blaming him for the entire team and CS sucking down the stretch.

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I agree, but I also think the acquisition of one good WR... and I mean a good one... a TO/Moss-type prototypical, physical game changer, would definitely improve everyone across the board, mostly Cotchery. Keller would benefit immensely too, and no telling where Clowney and Stuckey could take us. It would even improve Jones' and Leon's running game.

Sorry to say that Coles deserves a new contract like somebody deserves the Bubonic Plague. I'd tell Coles his last contract was just that... his last contract. Either play it out or we'll see what we can get for you.

And I don't want Favre back... can't go through another season with that. But think of the possibility if, say, we even have to start Ratliff this year, but he's got one good WR added to the mix. It might change everything.... just bringing in the one guy as an offensive weapon.

19. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Just play your game, whatever that is......

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Oh yes, an upgrade at #1 wr would be a huge help and would make every other receiver look better.

But I don't get the Ratliff love. What is that based on? For example, please tell me the last time the Jets developed a Qb in house who came out of nowhere.