Why do so many people have a hard on for Cotchery?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

OK, I believe that he is a good WR and might have the potential to move up to being a half-decent 2 if he can really show something, but I have not seen anything to warrant the hype that I see so many fans giving him. I looked at his combine stats and they aren't great. He seems like a run of the mill receiver who, to me, might deserve to be more than a #4, but compared to other guys around the league I don't think he's better than a #3 for 16 games per season.

I don't think I have missed anything in games that should lead me to believe otherwise, so unless he did some crazy stuff in training camp last year he seems to belong where he is.

That said, I am all for giving him a really good chance in the preseason to prove that he is better than I think, and most importantly better than players that are ahead of him. Let him even play 3 quarters of a game to get a really good look. Just like Cedric Houston, who I really think that given the chance can be a good and important football player, Cotchery deserves an extended look.

I just don't think that what we have seen so far should lead us to believe he is more than a third look.

2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

His combine stats weren't great but he was the leading reciever in NC State history and was one of the top recievers stat-wise coming into the draft.

Cotchery hasn't gotten enough of a chance, he could become a very good slot WR. He's not too fast but he doesn't drop a lot of passes and isn't afraid to go over the middle.

#2 PinPointPenning10, Apr 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2005
  3. Pennington2Moss

Pennington2Moss New Member

but we haven't seen much of anything (from anybody) b/c the offense has been so anemic the years he's been on the team.

4. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

This poster is quite limp thank you.

Hmmm.....

#4 Dinobot 2, Apr 17, 2006
  5. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

For Jerricho, yes, I am

6. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

Given a chance and if we get consistent play from the qb position I like him to be and hope he becomes our slot receiver. He can do some of the things he did at nc state and can be very effective for us.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I never got wood from a guy.

8. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

^^ahem....avatar

9. GreenMachine

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Classic!!!!!!!!!:beer:

10. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

although he hasnt shown much in the NFL, he tore it up at NC breaking several of torry holt's records. i think that is why most people have a hard-on for him.

i would personally like to see him get more of a chance because i cant stand mccarreins, and if cotch can duplicate what he did in college he should be more than capable of playing at a high level in the pros.

11. boomer

boomer Active Member

I don't have a total hardon for the guy, but I think he can be a solid reciever for us if given the chance.

12. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I like Cotch...i think he has the potential to be a very good #2 receiver...i definetely dont have a hard on over him...that i know of...but then again...i always have a hard on...maybe i shoudl see the doctor....:lol: :lol: :lol:

#12 Scikotic, Apr 18, 2006
  13. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

[​IMG]

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

That was purposeful. Tongue in cheek. Er, hehehe.

#14 jetophile, Apr 18, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  15. boomer

boomer Active Member

Ehh screw you KOZ. :breakdance:

16. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

I guess you would say he makes me big in the CROTCHery.

17. JetsFanAce51

JetsFanAce51 New Member

I honestly see Cotchery as a # 3 WR throughout the season. I can't see him filling many needs as a # 2... I do think that he will be more of a possession receiver ala Keyshawn Johnson. With that being said, I think he can be our next version of Chrebet. A guy who will make tough catches in traffic, but will never be viewed as a great receiver throughout the NFL. I truly don't know what all the hype is about this guy. He definitely doesn't have Larry Fitzgerald potential or anything like that.
    This pretty much says it all for Cotch. He might be solid, but never great.

18. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

In all fairness to the Cotch-meister he hasn't gotten his chance yet. He will get it this year. I have a feeling he will be productive and a pleasant suprise. He has NFL quality flippers and he will be hungry for the opportunity.

19. MedyrsChild

MedyrsChild New Member

I just like the fact that every time he touches the football he does something with it. He's looking to make a play and he'll give himself up to get it done. He looks like he WANTS to be out there and shows and awful lot of effort. I can honestly say I don't feel like that about Mac anymore and sometimes i see the 'sulkies' in Coles as well. It's a bit disheartening.

20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

i dont know too many people who have a hard-on for cotchery,but if some people do i would agree that thats way too early to be on this guys dick