Thomas Jones "blasts" Favre: Daily News Article

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by babyknight, Dec 31, 2008.

1. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

and replace him with who...larry johnson? no thanks.

2. JetsLookingforDWare

What players did Mangini criticize in the press? Didn't you guys actually get mad that Mangini's anger wasn't public enough?

Jones saying this is wrong. It's nice to hear because this whole situation is just fishy...but in principle it's just wrong.

3. keypusher

keypusher Member

By the end of the year opposing teams were begging Favre to throw. He averaged a yard less per completion than Pennington. Jones owes his increased production to the offensive line, not Favre.

4. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Most recently, he publicly criticized Keller.

If jones has a problem with the way the team is run, he should address it privately with those who have a say in what goes on. Airing dirty laundry in the papers is not the way to go about it.

5. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

You guys are only focused on the end of the year.

For the first eleven games TJ got the bulk of the yards that had him atop the AFC in rushing. The OL was definitely improved and I'm not taking anything away from them, but if you cant see the difference in how opposing defenses stacked the LOS last year, and the way they played back more this year, yoou arent watching the same games.

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Come on bro you (we all can) can criticize Mangini for a lot......... but crucifying people in the public domain was not one of them. Mild rebukes aside he didn't kill anyone publicly.

7. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

He publicly chastised keller just a few weeks ago. What do you think, I made this up?

He publicly humiliated kendall by playing him on the third unit and sticking him in the rookie dorm. He left baker home for a trip because of a crack in the newspapers.

He was always pulling this crap on players, and those are just the things we know about.

I think there was a big divide in the lockerrom over mangini. The players who are coming out now and saying things probably were part of the group who liked him. But there were others who didnt like him, but they are staying quiet about this now that he's been fired. You are only hearing from the malcontents now.

#107 Jetcane, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  8. OhioJetsFan

OhioJetsFan Member

Favre won't show up in Hawaii, so TJ won't have to worry about looking him in the eye.

9. JetsLookingforDWare

"He's had opportunities," Mangini said. "Some he's capitalized on, some he hasn't."

Keller, trying to explain his fade route, believes it's because defenses are paying more attention to him. Eric Mangini didn't dispute that theory, but he also suggested that Keller needs to grow up.

"This isn't bowl season, it's not college, getting ready for your exams, getting ready for Christmas break, whatever. That's not the case here," said Mangini, more critical of Keller than perhaps any player on the team. "You've got to be consistent, consistent, consistent. It's a longer year, and that's just the way it is."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...the_only_thing_dustin_keller_catching_la.html

Yep...right under the boss that was.

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I didnt read where Keller was humiliated in public say on the order of Terry Glenn or one of the numerous players Parcells let have it in Public. He may have pulled crap on players but hardly ever publicly. Like I said criticize for many things but airing shit in public was not one of them. You were one of the first to hate him and I was late to that bandwagon..........So dont think I am going to defend him in the least, I just feel that this is a red herring in the putrid coaching he displayed this year........... Happy New Year and good night.

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I guess Favre gets a pass for calling out teammates in the past who were holding out for more money (remember him raking Jevon Walker over the coals?). If it serves Favre's purpose, he had no problem throwing his teammates under the bus. Now that he is the one screwing his teammates with his off season antics, its not ok?

12. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

He didnt go overboard with it, but he definitely heavily criticized Keller recently. I even quoted it in a post, so i remember it pretty well.

He went out of his way to kiss ass to get Coles to like him, but he treated some other guys poorly. It seems Mangini was the first one to set the standard for unequal treatment, and that set a bad tone.

I didnt hear boo all season from any beat writers about Favre being cooped up in his office, or being distant from the rest of the team. Sounds like a lot of sour grapes after the ENTIRE team collapse after thanksgiving.

13. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Great point

That was worse because, as you guys know, Walker got hurt in the first game of that season and lost a ton of cash as a result- he really hasn't been the same since then. Favre was screwing with another man's livelihood (yes, I know they're playing a game) and I consider that ground to be a little more sacred than criticizing Favre's piss-poor performance.

Karma stinks, right Brett?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/7726454/site/21683474/

14. blevins

blevins New Member

Sure Does

Yeah - His presence really affects the opposing defense. It gives them a chance to pad their stats. At 1.3 INTs a game even a lousy secondary has to get excited at their chances. You don't have to guard too closely - just stay awake and Brett will eventionally hit you with one.
    And Jones' better success this year had to do with upgrades to the JET OL more than the downgrade we had at QB.

15. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

Ok I just lost alot of respect for Mark Schlereth (sp?) he is giving us this crap about how Thomas Jones was so inafective last year and how this year its cause of Favre. Yes because having Clemens as qb was really the reason Jones struggled

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You have to give Jones a pass. After 2 years in a system based on paranoia of the press Jones probably lost the art of speaking to the press in cliches or speaking in the third person when being candid.

Once we get a coach in that lifts the blinds the players will get used to speaking freely while saying nothing and show us why coaching the players up, working on execution and scheme is more important than gag rules.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Did Jones really use a fuckin rap station to do this venting? Please tell me that isn't true. Obvious that there is nobody in charge of this team. The owner is in his own zone and Tannenbaum couldn't keep his own dog on a leash.

#117 Don, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  18. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I will give him a pass to the extent that I dont think he should be traded or fined. I've been touting TJ's successful season all year. They should have been a run first team in December and they would have powered their way into the playoffs, instead of playing around with crappy gameplans, laterals by Smith in the pouring rain, throwing on third and one, kicking the FG vs Seattle...

But it was still a wuss move to vent in public like he did.

19. imeanthegreen

imeanthegreen New Member

I'm curious, can anybody say for sure that Thomas Jones DIDN'T confront Favre in person? Or maybe he tried to and was stopped by Mangini. If trashing a workhorse guy like TJ over a prima donna like Favre is indicative of Jet fans, then it's no wonder we're perennial losers!! Who the hell is Brett Favre that he can't be called on the carpet for play that COST THIS TEAM A PLAYOFF SPOT?!?!! So much is made about the knowledge of the NY sports fan. I hope this isn't an indication of that vaunted knowledge. TJ, if you're listening: DON'T PAY THAT GARBAGE ANY ATTENTION. We need you, you downhill running style and your work ethic. Stick to your guns and don't back off what you said, I, for one, am with you all the way, and I'm not alone. And big ups to Hot 97 for airing the interview. It took a "rap station" to do what ESPN and those other cowards wouldn't do. And for all you front runner, Favre fans, please leave when he does so we can bring some pride and honesty to the Jet franchise.