Favre OWES Us One More Year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Dec 30, 2008.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

This may be shocking to most that I want Favre back next year but I do and he owes it to us to come back. I was against the trade b/c he was coming in w/ a month to go before the season, he was out of shape, he was going to be playing w/ new teammates and playing in a new system for the first time in 15 years.

W/ a full offseason w/ us, an offseason conditioning program and familiarity w/ his teammates and the scheme(assuming Schottenheimer returns) I have confidence he can give us a much better season than he just gave us and justify the trade which right now looks like one of the worst of all time in Jet history.

The man still has his arm but mentally he was shot and he had no legs. A full offseason and even at 40 I think he can lead us deep into January.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

We'll have to wait for the MRI results to see what's happening. In his Press Conference following the game, he did say he does not want to play anymore football if he has to go through "a lot of surgery."

3. cnc66

cnc66 New Member

oh PLEASE come back

4. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Dammit junc I thought you were on my side

5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

How can it be the worst trade ever when all we gave up was a third round pick? Or is this another thinly veiled "Chad is awesome" thread?

6. nyjunc

It cost us the season and a good, much younger QB. If Chad stays healthy in Miami we could watch him win multiple div titles the next few years while Favre has 1 year where he ruined our once promising season. As of today it was an awful trade and I'd have to think about trades we have made to evaluate if it is THE worst but it is certainly one of the worst.

7. Fins>AFC east

Fins>AFC east New Member

what if favre comes back the same as his last games would you want him out?

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I sort of agree, sort of. He looks like he is playing on reflexes and they clearly aren't what they once were. 40 is an old man in this game and time kills all athletes especially at the elite level.

It also wouldn't shock me if his shoulder is really hurt. He has great zip when he steps into the ball but when he flat foots the ball which he has done his entire career, his balls look bad.

9. cnc66

cnc66 New Member

Something not touched on here is the backup qb's. I am relativly certain favrat never mentored and thus improved the stable of qb's behind him.. not his job he once said. Chad on the other hand, gave assignmnts to his backups and worked hard with them all year. Yall are now left with a delima even if he stays, your backups aren't as prepared as they could be. I and many other Dolphin fans didn't think Chad would go all 16.. that at some point he would go down..history told me that was a likely scenario. Well, he didn't but we are pretty comfortable with our #2, and the fact that Chad made it his MISSION to improve the other qb's. This to me says a lot about his character.. unlike bretty, he doesn't see the backups as enemies. Now, bretty is going to hold you hostage for 4-5 months while he sells wrangler jeans, and then comes back to "save" you again... and I hope he does.

10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Definitely a bad trade as it stands now - if Favre is healthy and comes back focused and dedicated and plays like the first 11 games this year for an entire season, it can yet be redeemed.

I was against the trade when it happened, but Favre won me over, only to completely collapse for whatever reason. Remember, he was well-nigh unstoppable against the Patriots and Titans, then pretty much awful the rest of the way.

I think losing Chad has to be factored in to this trade because it was a direct by-product. In this respect the trade could still get worse. If Pennington somehow takes the Fins to a Super Bowl, or just a couple more division titles, the move for Favre looks worse and worse.

Like a draft, it takes a few seasons for the real effect of a trade to be realised. If Chad now wilts and fades away, while Favre rebounds and gives us two solid seasons, this can turn out to have been a good trade. If Favre retires and Chad continues to do well in Miami, it's a bad trade. If Favre returns and throws 30 interceptions next year while Pennington takes the Fins to a Super Bowl win, the trade was disastrous.

Lots of possibilities and only time will tell...

11. nyjunc

That stuff can be overrated, you don't think Chad worked w/ Clemens? He had 2 full seasons plus training camp this year w/ him. Favre wasn't mentoring Rodgers but I think we can see Rodgers has special ability despite the poor record.

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Ratliff was in his ear all season long. I'm sure he learned quite a bit. Word is the F.O. loves Ratliff. Something to keep an eye on during the offseason.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...9/2008-12-29_brett_favre_had_mri_earlier.html

Who knows what the truth is but according to this article he had an MRI earlier in the season that didn't reveal any serious damage and did not have one yesterday. I personally think Favre is full of shit and is trying to keep his legacy intact.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Junc you shocked me with this but you have to add that he needs to come back only if he is healthy. I, for one, think he must have some sort of injury to his shoulder. He made some good throws but he also made a bunch that looked worse than Pennington on Pennington's worse day. I could have thrown the ball harder. So I'm not sure what kind of injury it may be but I think there is something there.

15. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I agree with nujunc. He does owe us another year, and I want him back, provided he's healthy.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Don't want him back. We have 3 young QB's in the stable and I'd rather let them fight it out in training camp. We've got a good OL and a solid running game...that works wonders for ANY QB. At this point I'm all for some on the job training.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And none of them will see a single down of playing time next year..it is still about PSLs.

18. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

OK, I am willing to run with this. I was very disappointed in the play of Favre, but all of the lack of pre-season conditioning is fact. As depressed about our collapse as I am, my mind is starting to be a bit objective again. I need to see commitment from the guy. It starts in February/March and builds from there. If Favre starts playing the off-again-on-again games, it is time to say good-bye and not shed a tear over it.

I think the new coach should evaluate Ratliff and Clemens thoroughly assuming Favre is coming back. I think if Ratliff really proves he is equal to Clemens or even a bit better, than the Jets should try to trade Clemens for a pick in the draft.

19. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

I Hate Brett Favre.

20. keypusher

keypusher Member

Well, not to rub it in or anything, but compared to Farve this past year Chad was friggin' Joe Montana.

If I were a Jet fan I would be praying for Favre to retire. Athletes his age do not improve, offseason conditioning or no. Generally they get worse. Favre did improve at age 38, which is remarkable, but I don't expect it to happen again.

I am not sure whether his arm is hurt or not. I saw him throw lasers against the Phins -- the one on 2nd and 22 comes to mind -- that Pennington could only dream of. The real problem was between his ears. Each of his three INTs was a mental mistake more than a physical one. (Also, and this was another big contrast with Pennington and the Phins, Favre and his receivers seemed out of sync.)

The problem is, mental mistakes are caused by age too. It isn't just the body that ages; the brain's ability to process data and make intelligent instantaneous decisions declines too. I saw it with Marino. In 1999 he still had a great arm, but he made several headscratching throws per game and also was terrible at protecting the ball in the pocket. Not only did Favre throw 22 interceptions, he also lost eight fumbles. (To be fair, Favre fumbled an above-average amount even in his prime, so maybe that has nothing to do with age.) Pennington lost a fumble for the first time all season against the Jets on Sunday.

No amount of offseason conditioning, and no mini-camp, is going to return Favre's 40 y/o brain to its condition 10 years ago.

#20 keypusher, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008