What's the deal with Rod Marinelli?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetsaholic1094, Dec 29, 2008.

1. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

The guy sorta baffles me. Despite being a loser coach, he seems to be adored by the media...so what gives? He's got great credentials from his time in Tampa Bay, being the mastermind behind their dominating defensive line 'n all. But as a HC in Detroit, all he's done is lose. I'd argue that no coach could've made lemonade outta that pile of shit, but still...losing is losing.

What do you guys think of him as a potential candidate? He seems to have the right mindset and says all the right things, but is he just another rah-rah Herm, or is he more than just a mouth?

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Only the Jets would bring in a HC that just finished the first 0-16 season in NFL history. Nah not even the Jets..

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

you def will sell PSL's with a guy who cant make lemonade out of lemons...oh and being fired from coaching the worst team in the history of the nfl.

4. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

If the Jets hired the coach of an 0-16 football team they would be ridiculed by just about everyone...and rightly so. Rod Marinelli's NFL coaching career is OVER due to his winless season. There are some failures you can just never recover from (see Rich Kotite).

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Hehe. . . I can imagine the entire Tri-State region being sucked into some 5th dimension vortex if we fired Eric Mangini, conducted a nation-wide search, and hired the guy who just established the worst season record in the history of the game. That would almost be worth it just to see the pretty colors on the other side.

6. jetsaholic1094

What I can't understand is how the media just seems to adore the guy. Loveable loser, maybe? When all you do is lose, usually that results in sharp criticisms speared your way, yet all he seems to get is support. What's with that?

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The guy just lost 16 straight games.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Its because the guy he destroyed that franchise was Matt Millen and the media understands that it will take 10 years to repair that franchise

9. jetsaholic1094

Maybe it's what we need for a reverse jinx. Hire someone that no one thinks will succeed, and watch our team rise to the Super Bowl!

10. riggo1

riggo1 New Member

Two years ago I had the opportunity to attend the Owner's Meeting in Arizona. As part of my job (NFL advertising), I got to meet and speak with all of the coaches, with the exception of Belechick who wouldn't meet with us and Saban who somehow opted out.

The guys that we were all most impressed with, in terms of how they spoke about the game, the players, their opportunity to coach, etc., were Marinelli and Tomlin.

Those in the know, said that Marinelli could never succeed because Detroit had the worst front office, that Siamese twins of Landry and Lombardi couldn't fashion a winner given the personnel he was dealt.

Anyway, this doesn't really tell you anything, but I think he'll end up somewhere as a coordinator.

(by the by, Mangini was kind of an egotistical jerk, seeing that he had just come off the Mangenius season. He was openly dismissive of me, even when I was introduced as a season ticket holder for 20+ years)

11. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Sometimes when things are so bad, what can the media say??? Its hard to rode a guy like that, especially with his attitude.. lol I think he went crazy, his press conferences were so bizarre.. he sounded like Tony Robbins. lol he was very positive for some reason

12. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I like Marinelli a lot, but that team made no defensive adjustments. I wouldn't mind him as my head coach in a few years, but I don't even think he was a DC before he got the HC job. Do we want to go through that again?

Plus, no way in hell can we fire Mangini and bring in a guy who didn't win a game.

13. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

1 win in his last 24 games.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is something that would actually cause me to stop rooting for the Jets. I've never said that before.

15. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

No argument there. Might be that Detroit has become pitiable more than anything else.

16. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

were not discussion him as hc candidate are we? lol

17. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

+1

filler