I commend Woody

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hendersg, Dec 29, 2008.

1. hendersg

hendersg New Member

I have been very critical toward Johnson as an owner, but I have to say, listening to this press conference he is saying the right things and it?s good to hear his voice strong in his convictions. Thanks Woody for parting ways with Mangini and doing it expeditiously for the right reasons. For once, I feel some accountability with this franchise and I think that?s probably the biggest step toward bringing us the winner we desperately crave.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes I agreed if Hess was still the owner most likely Eric would still be the HC

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I can agree with this what irks me is when people say he cares. He doesn't care. This is a business for him and it's all about $$$

Woody wants to win. GREAAT! We want that but he wants it for a totally different reason.

Ask yourself this.

Does anyone NOT think that the more successful this team becomes the more Expensive it will get?

I will say this, he's a good speaker and I like that he's finally trying to build a winner.
    Unfortunately this means we will pay more.

4. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Are you kidding me? He hasn't given one good reason why he fired Mangini. If you're going to fire a guy after two winning seasons in three, you better make it clear what was unacceptable. Every man on the 53-man roster needs to know what wasn't getting done so it's clear what has to change.

All this BS about the process, etc., is a cop out. "He's left a great foundation..... yada yada yada." Woody's a pussy, corporatespeak, a-hole.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Uh...he has 50,000 PSLs to sell. What did you think he would do? And if Hess was still here we would have made the playoffs. Primarily because Mangini would have never been hired.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

One thing I wish to remind U is that Woody just completed 9 full seasons of ownership & we have not yet advance IMO any further along in the NFL to where we were 9 seasons ago

7. JetsFaninCA

JetsFaninCA New Member

I think it is blatantly obvious why he fired the guy. Did you watch the last 5 games? A pathetic coaching effort from top to bottom resulting in going from 8-3 to outof the playoffs. What is so difficult to understand?

8. Mickey Shuler 82

That surely could be the reason, but he didn't say it. Why pussyfoot around it. If you're going to swing the ax, and be man enough to do it, be man enough to give the reason.

9. stech

stech Member

Woody said that he gave mangina the opportunity to be successful and that success is his goal. Obviously he implied that Mangini wasn't successful so he is fired. Simple enough.

10. The Mariner

The Mariner New Member

I don't care what the numbers say, this season goes down as a big old LOSE.

11. graig.323

graig.323 Active Member

....and the timing was perfect. I agree that he did what he needed to do.

12. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

It's the right move but he's doing it for the wrong reasons. In other words, ANOTHER PSL-SELLING STUNT.

He should've blistered Mangini's performance down the stretch and distanced himself from Favre, instead of worrying about Eric's next job or what Favre might say in return.

Woody Johnson is sitting a 1/2 billion dollar debt...his quick trigger finger has everything to do with his pocketbook...and conversely, ours.

13. Mickey Shuler 82

Yea, he implied it.

Be a f'kin man, Woody, and say it in no uncertain terms. "Eric's collapse in the last five games of the year was embarrasing to this organization and won't be tolerated." I'd respect that.

14. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Amazing to me that none of them hold Favre responsible.

15. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Here's my favorite quote:

When asked about his statement that this season's record would not effect Mangini and Tanny's jobs:

"I would do that again in the future."
    Translation: I reserve the right to make emphatic statements about my employees and then reverse course when it seems economically feasible/advantageous.

16. Trickstone

Trickstone New Member

This was to please angry Jet fans so they will pay for their psl's.

17. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I agree. I don't think its a mystery why Mangini was fired. Is everyone forgetting what happened over the last month? Maybe the worst collapse in Jets history. And THAT is saying something.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

A blind man would know why. No explanation needed. The team totally collapsed. A few players and assistant coaches need to roll with him. Favre, Franks, Law, Barret. Even Coles needs to get his shit together...he is no longer the number one receiver. And where in the hell was our pass rush this year.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Of course he has different motivations. The NFL is a business, especially in NY. When he wanted his own stadium to give the Jets identity almost everyone turned against him, especially that piece of garbage Dole. Why? because is a business. Owners survive by making money. If you were investing that much money every year you would feel the same way. You have to pay to get a winner. And they make money by bringing in a winner. Read NYY, Bsoxs, LA Lakers, Boston Celtics, NE Patriots. The 49ers of old. Only diference is they have and had a better CS to select talent and put them in a position to win.

20. Mickey Shuler 82

The problem with Woody, which is the opposite of Parcells, is that by dancing around the subject you end up confusing everyone. Why wouldn't fans/players/Jets employees think that this isn't just a PSL-driven decision.

A fish rots from the head --> and so do the Jets.