Jets Mortgaged their future, Big Time

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BomberJet, Dec 25, 2008.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I was really upset about them taking on Favre and letting Penninton go. For what purpose? During training camp most everyone on these boards emphatically stated that it was an upgrade and glad to see old 'noodle arm' go.

As the season started I sat back and waited, and watched, and witnessed the team implode right before my very eyes. After going 8-3 I was juusssst at the point of saying to myself
    " we'll I'll be, perhaps it was an upgrade, I was wrong.....but a very happy fan".

But the potential problems I pointed out at pre-season; new players, Favre's age, and to a much greater extent an unproven coach and his assistants , started to rise to the top.

Granted I feel Favre has a lot of guts and really sincerely loves the game. But to say that Pennington would not have done at least a comparable job achieving the same results is ludicrous. Plus the fact of not having to worry about who will be the starting QB next season, makes it even more ludicrous.

Chad is staying put in Miami. Favre? Comon' lets be realistic here! What are the odds of him returning after a disastrous finish? And, even if he does return, what can anyone expect of a 40 yearold with the best years behind?

Major decisons will be made - not just the question of Favre's return, but of the reality of realizing if Mangini is over his head here. This guy looks lost, people.

With the weak schedule that proved to be not quite weak enough for this team, what can we expect next season? More frustration, sorry to say.

2. steveincolorado

steveincolorado New Member

It was a mistake for you guys to get Favre, even as a Dolphins fan, I was never really worried about what Farve could do. Just look at his age, plus I remember a thing on ESPN when this all went down that history is against the your Jets. Now four months later, maybe ESPN was right.

3. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Please merge this with the other 1,000 Pennington/Favre threads

4. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Well, the old players are really mostly Coles, Favre, Ellis and that's really pretty much it. They're probably gone anyway, everyone else isn't really that old or that important. TJ is 30 which is pretty old for an RB, which is definitely a concern, but he should be okay for another year or two.

Faneca is old but Guards last forever, and he's not THAT old. Jenkins is in his prime, and NTs last forever too.

Outside of that, you look across the major positions and the age isn't really a problem. Brick and Mangold were just drafted a few years ago, as was Revis, Leon, Rhodes. Keller was just drafted last year, as was Gholston (who is a bust admittedly). Pace is in his prime, Harris was drafted just a few years ago.

You're right that the old guys will be ditched soon, but there's enough on the team that transition should be seemless. The main thing is getting the QB that will be here for the next decade. A WR or 2 would also be a good thing to have. And an RB in a year or two. That oughtta take care of things for awhile. The Jets are the 6th or 7th oldest team in the league, but a lot of that is because of Ty law and Brett Favre.

5. steveincolorado

How do you feel about Matt Cassel?

6. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Cassel should remain someone else's problem. I feel he is as good as his coach makes him and will not amount to much without BB pulling the strings.

He has improved greatly since the beginning of the season but feel it is all the coach.

7. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

And so he is going to forget everything his coach taught him if he comes to the Jets?

8. steveincolorado

I'm not saying he is the answer for any team, but the tv networks sure make him out for something big. Could he be a one year wonder??

9. gafher

gafher New Member

no but he won have THAT coach to get the most out of him. coaching is all the difference.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I think the most interesting thing about this thread is the word comon'. what word is that, and what is the apostrophe after on abbreviating?

11. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Perfectly said!

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

you must have been pretty upset when favre kicked your ass to start the season....

13. Fusion2006

Fusion2006 New Member

Lets give up and kill ourselves.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yes the Jets mortgaged the future but letting go of Chad had nothing to do with that. It was getting Favre instead of trying to develop one of the young guys. It was also spending beaucoup dolar on Faneca and Woody and trading picks for Jenkins. I wouldn't take any of those moves back if they were planning on doing any of them. It was a package deal to try to make the team good this year. Mangini's inability to coach that assemblage of talent to play at or above their collective potential is what has screwed the pooch.

Either make none of the moves and build or make all of them and win. Making all of them and then fading was what has turned the future grim.

15. cnc66

cnc66 New Member

that would be my suggestion :shit:

16. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Mortgage the future? Of Chad as a Jet? His time was over. Most of us knew that. Clemens? If he was ready he would have beat Chad out. He was still making mistakes in TC. Very few looked to have any confidence in him at the time. Ratliff? He came out of the blue, threw some nice passes against 2nd and 3rd string players. Might he develop? Could be. But after spending all that money on free agents, are you gonna hand the keys to the brand new car to the most inexperienced driver?

Favre made perfect sense. He was doing well early on. The freefall we are in right now is not all on Favre's shoulders.

Cassel may have learned a thing or two but he is a creation of his coach. This guy was a nobody!!! Let him sign a big contract with the Lions so we never have to see him again. He can go fail there. I feel without BB as his coach, he will be terrible.

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

all we did was move the inevitable search for new qb up about 2-3 years. pennington is having a nice year but who's to say chad doesn't get hurt with us? maybe chad gets hurt for the phins next year. who knows? not me.

obviously with hindsight it appears that the favre trade was a mistake. but the time i was in favor of it as were most jet fans. sure some people were against for different reasons when it happened. congrats on being right.

i still fail to see how the jets have totally mortgaged the future. ratliff showed potential during preseason, maybe he can step up. maybe they can get someone in the draft this year who can step up next year or the year after. chad wasn't gonna be around for more than another couple years anyway so we were gonna need to go through this soon enough.

18. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Dude...The future is far from grim. Jets have a good young nucleus. They just need to upgrade the talent on the roster. I still say, Jets' blew on not signing DeAngelo Hall when he was released. As far as the QB situation, I believe that all of the Jets' back-up QB's learned alot from Favre & by watching him. I, myself like Ratliff as the QB...he makes plays.

Jets' need to upgrade the entire front 7 on defense & add another top RB to go with Jones & Washington. Also Jets need a deep threat at WR to play opposite Cotchery, to add to Clowney.

19. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Getting Favre was a mistake because he doesn't fit with this team at all. We all knew Chad could play as well as he's playing but the chance of playing 16 games was extremely small. Somehow he did and it makes the Jets front office look horrible. We have a very good young team that is still rebuilding. We will need a new QB next year and whether that's clemens, Ratliff, Ainge or a free agent it's anyones guess.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Dude... The Jets have real problems right ahead of them on multiple fronts with aging and declining players likely to drop out over the next few seasons. QB, RB, WR, G, T, DE, LB, CB (going with Law late was an indictment of the Jets talent at CB other than Revis) are all positions that are going to see declining play for the Jets in the near future.

We already got a look at what the potential issues are this year with Ben Graham dropping out of sight and creating a hole from nowhere. There are more of those to come. A key injury or two and the Jets talent base will be below league average.

BTW, the judgement I'm making here is not based solely on looking at the Jets current roster and projecting. Its also based on 30 years of watching Jets players come and go. This team does not have as much young talent on it as the 1984 team or the 1989 team or the 1994 team. Those teams all looked just hunky dory for the future compared to this team and 3 different head coaches watched it all go slowly to pieces despite having more talent than this current roster. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me four times shame on me.