How did you become a Jet fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

I grew up on Long Island in Newy York and the first football for which I rooted was the Giants. Before you jump down my throat that's because there was no Jets team. I even got to see Y.A. Tittle play. :grin: I didn't really start rooting for the Jets until they were the Jets and Namath came along. He was just so facinating and talented I was drawn to him as a fan. And I've been rooting for the Jets ever since. If you look at the Jets there really hasn't been a star like Joe since he retired. So growing up in New York, as I imagine most find did, how did you come to root for the Jets? In particular, what make you pick the Jets over the Giants? Just curious.

2. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

My father roots for both the Jets and the Giants, so I had a choice to make. I remember my mom sitting my down in our living room when I was about 3 or 4 years old, and she showed me a table that had all the primary colors, and asked me to tell her which was my favorite. I pointed at the green one, and said, "Green!" And since I made my team choice at such a young age, I went with the one that was my favorite color. I have been an irrationally passionate fan ever since.

3. JetsLookingforDWare

Everyone around me that gave a shit about football liked the Jets, specifically my uncle and best friend.

4. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

My dad.

god damn it...

5. nyjets2sb

nyjets2sb Member

I used to be a Giants fan too, when I was about 5...my dad was a Giants fan untill parcells came over to the Jets. Ever since then it's been nothing but green and white for me. Now, my dad is rooting for the Giants because they are good and I hate him for it.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

on my own..... everyone in my family likes the Giants or another team.... i picked this one after a few years of rooting for the Giants as a kid because I didn't know any better.

But the first game I ever saw was Packers vs Pats SB.... I learned two things that day - Brett Favre is awesome, and the Pats suck balls.

#6 NDmick, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I used to punch myself in the face repeatedly as a child. My father eventually got me to stop by replacing that behavior with being a Jets fan. It's worked out pretty well.

8. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

:rofl: Was your father the Joker?

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Pretty simple. 9 years old. AFC Title Game 1998 Jets @ Broncos; I said I'm rooting for the Jets and have ever since.

10. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

My dad rooted for the Giants and Jets. I didn't get into football until I tried fantasy football in 1998. My partner in the league was a Jets fan. We drafted Curtis Martin. The Jets went to the AFC Championship. The rest is a very sad history.

11. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Ha - I wound up as a Jet fan because green was my favorite color as a kid too. If only I had liked blue instead I could have saved myself from 30+ years of torture.

12. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I was an NFL fan, watched lots of games, one afternoon saw Victor Green anhilate someone, I played safety as well, I said thats what I want in a football team, diehard ever since

13. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

I was born in NC, but my mom was from NJ. She was a Jets fan because her dad used to work for Leon Hess so my grandfather was a Jets fan which made her a Jets fan which made me a Jets Fan.

14. MondayMiracle40-37OT

I'm 20 years old and I became a Jets fan in 1997 when Bill Parcells became head coach. Before then I was a Giants fan because of my dad but when Parcells joined the team, it gave me reason to jump ship. Then I decided I needed to stick to a team and the Jets were it.

15. danaaprildarren

Earliest I can remember is the 86' season the Giants won. I was only 8 years old but wanted the Giants to win since I recognized that I was from NY. That was the first full game that I watched, after that I have watched every season since and been a Jets fan. Only reason I can think why I switched, is that my dad is a Jets fan.
    Even he didn't start that way though, he was an immigrant from Italy and initially liked the dolphins for some reason, however after Namath came along he jumped on the Jets and has rooted ever since. (At least he got to see them win once)

16. danaaprildarren

My 5 year old son has pretty much rooted for "Daddy's team" since he could speak. (I am not even joking) We got him one of the little balls that say the J-E-T-S chant and he was reciting it when he was barely 2!
    This year was a trial for him, he was a big fan of Pennington, (Jets Pennington as he called him). He was heart broken and I told him that he could choose any team that HE liked and didn't have to like the Jets just because I do. After a few games though he came around and told me that he hopes "Jets Favre" beats the Pennington guy...lol.

17. lovin_chansi

lovin_chansi Banned

moved to western ny 30 years ago when i turned 9.....never knew abt the nfl and my stepdaddy taught me...(his little girl) abt the nfl.....unfortunatly he was a BILLS fan but we went to buffalo once to see a preseason game aganist the saints and the guy behind me had a jets hat on and he told me abt the NY JETS.......was lovin the JETS ever since....but i was born the year of their last superbowl....whats wrong with this picture??haha:beer:

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...born into it.

19. ToddisGod

ToddisGod Banned

Originally Raider Fan

as an 8-yr old in mid 70's I always remember the 4pm game being a west coast shoot out- Denver, Oakland, SD etc... dad followed Giants but guess they were boring and bad. Then about 1979-1980 my Uncle a season ticket holder for the Jets took me to a game, I was excited to see a live football game even though not my beloved Raiders anyway the excitement of being there really won me over, I remember the transition as I still remember rooting for Oakland in 01 against Philly but also remember the disheartening mud bowl. As realization set in that getting to the west coast to see Oakland play was going to probably never happen I totally became an addicted Jet Fan and have been a partial or full season ticket holder sense about 91', little did I know then that there would be 30 yrs of frustration ahead of me.

20. JetsLookingforDWare

Parcells was a big influence on me too (also 20). He was srs business and even at 9/10 I took sports way too seriously.

I would have been a Giants fan because all they did was show Giants highlights when Parcells came in...but the '98 Jets team entertained the shit out of me while I healed from a broken leg. I still think 1998 is the most pivotal year of my childhood...I became a Cubs fan that year when I watched Kerry Wood dismantle the Astro's...the fat kid who stayed back once or twice fell on me and broke my leg...I learned that it's possible to run in a cast as long as the cast doesn't cover the full leg...I got into fights with friends over chicks for the first time...I put up with the trash American version of Godzilla, my favorite movie character ever lol...good times...of course Wood got hurt that year...Godzilla sucked...I broke my fucking leg...I didn't get the girl...and the Jets pissed off my uncle which pissed me off cause...cause they were the Jets....but still...good times.