A win is great....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Dec 14, 2008.

1. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

....but no one should be feeling very confident going into next week. I was screaming my head off and jumping up and down when Ellis scored....we were given a gift today that saved the season for at least one more week. However, by all rights, the Jets deserved to lose today. Then again, luck plays a part in these games and we needed the break.

Now I'm sure the "run the table" mania will start up again. But people should not get their expectations too high. The way this team is playing, I don't see how we win the next 2 games. We've played terrible on the west coast, so the Seattle game will be no cake walk. Then the Miami game is set up to be a punch in the face to all Jet fans. I wouldn't be surprised if that game gets shifted to Sunday night....all the bigger the humiliation if we lose.

It would have been nice to have had a more convincing win, but a win is a win. At this point though, I have no reason to believe this team is going to make the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong, but the Jets play coupled with the play of the Dolphins and Pats makes me think we are going to get edged out.

DbJ

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I think you're right.

unless this team goes back to what they did against Tennessee. But I really think this defense is completely figured out.

3. HarmCityJet

HarmCityJet New Member

I am very confident going into next week and I feel this team will make the playoffs.

Sorry.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I don't think Seattle or Miami has the personnel to exploit our weaknesses the way New England, Denver and, to a lesser degree, San Francisco did. Today the team played undisciplined and I think the basics will be preached in practice this week.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

If only our Defense plays the way they did in the last 2 minutes of the Buffalo game; every game.... the whole game.

6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Listen, we are playing a 2 win team next week. We are going to hear all week from the NY and national media about how we are 0-3 on the West coast against bad teams. There IS reason to be confident that the Jets will respond next week in Seattle. There is also reason to fear the worst. We'll see what happens. But I do have confidence.

7. jetsnutz20

jetsnutz20 New Member

its really like they dont show up until the last few minutes of the game. why is that. i think the coaching staff is to blame. and special teams needs to not take penalties we lose such good field advantage with stupid flags.

8. Elvis

Elvis Member

As you said, "a win is a win". But I am just as confused as many Jets fans on how we are approaching these games that are needed to win. It seems to me that we were prepared to in regards to playing the Pats and Titans. We executed, pursued and defensively prospered. It was only a short time ago that our team was stopping the run and sacking the QB. Our defensive schemes/plans are not being executed which leads me to believe that the players are to blame, not the coaching. As we all observed in the previous three games, teams are running on us with reckless abandonment. Where has Pace, Thomas, and Ellis been in regards to stopping the run not to mention irritating the QB? Budget Qbs are having career days because of the time they have to throw the ball..

Hopefully todays game ending TD sparks this defense once again.

9. jetsnutz20

jetsnutz20 New Member

hey elvis, im diggin that chrebet jersey on the tyke. i cherish my jersey

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You are such a negative guy. I feel so bad for you. I mean, look at your sig.

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I agree with all of this. I continue to be amazed at how some people blame everything on the coaches. The fact is that for most of the past 3 games absolutely no one on the defensive line is playing well (you left out Jenkins in your list, but he has been pushed around at will for the last 3 weeks as well), and I think that's on them. Favre has also been mediocre-to-poor for the last 3 weeks (schemes have nothing to do with his passes often being too high or low, his bombs always being short, his decisions to pass when he could run, etc.).

Seattle hasn't been playing any worse than Buffalo has for the past 8 weeks, and the game is on the road on the west coast, so anyone thinking that next week's game is any sort of gimme is IMO crazy.

12. GeorgeCoztanza

GeorgeCoztanza New Member

Let's not forget that an equally ugly win over Herm's horrible Kansas City team launched the five game winning streak. Also a year ago, the Giants were playing lousy football and caught fire after a sluggish win against these same Bills. I don't want to get overly optimistic after an uninspiring effort, but from the look of the team celebrating Ellis' touchdown, it seems like these guys were saying, "Finally we caught a break," and had an enormous load taken off their back.

13. PA Jetsfan

PA Jetsfan New Member

I think the Jets win today will result in a return to the Jets we saw in the middle of the season. When we have played well on defense our game has been turnovers not shut outs! Elam's sack and Ellis' score will stand as the turning point. The Bills didn't have a turnover until that point in the game and they ended up with three. Last week the 49ers fumbled five times and we didn't recover one. Maybe the bounce is going our way again.

I think we'll see the Jets pound the Seahawks (breaking the West coast jinx) as a result of renewed confidence. With that added momentum, I think we'll see a confident Jets team beat the Fins to finish the season. This just might be the best way we could head into the playoffs.

- The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author alone. He is a desperate and tortured life long Jets fan now living in Pittsburgh. Does anyone feel my pain?

14. jetsnutz20

jetsnutz20 New Member

good point:finssuck:

15. meanandgreen

meanandgreen New Member

I think we played a terrible game today and came up big on Defense late in the game which was JUST ENOUGH to win...but having said that, I don't think we will play this poorly again and I think we easily win th enext 2 games.

This Jets team is so fuckin good and talented that we can WIN ON BAD DAYS...that's something we haven't been able to say in awhile!

16. jetsnutz20

jetsnutz20 New Member

we can win on our bad days but we cant win when bad teams play good. we needed a more decisive win today.

17. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Yes. I do. I'm married to a Steeler fan. I loathe them.

Anyway back on topic: :)

The next two weeks actually kinda scare me after today's game. I knew Buffalo was looking for redemption. But I'll take the W and look forward to Seattle.

18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

This from the man who scolded and insulted those of us who saw this team for what it was two weeks ago after the Denver game. I think you owe all of us an apology for your demeaning and "Wahh Wahh stop whining" posts. This is a flawed team and some of us saw that earlier than others. I'm glad to see that realism has replaced your blind optimism and your green and white glasses.

19. meanandgreen

meanandgreen New Member

The Patriots game took OT to win...now that was a scary win! This win came because we knocked the fuck outta JP Losman and scored as a result. Buffalo played hard, we had a bad game, and we still sent them packing...good luck next year Buffalo!

We got the job done. That's all that matters in the NFL...there really are no good/bad games. Would you rather Favre throw for 400 yards 4TDs and we lose? Fuck no. We are 2 games away from locking it up and have more talent than any other team in the division (that's why we beat all their asses every time we play them).

20. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

I think its obvious that were heading for a showdown with Miami in the last game. The football gods have decried it.