Anyone think we'll see the empty backfield offense on sunday?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Nov 21, 2008.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I think with the injuries the Titans have in the secondary, the Jets may try to attack a secondary that will have to use safeties to cover the other WR and Keller.

I'm not loving this idea, but if the OL can hold its own, then the interior wideouts may be able to create separation for the short passing game. The offense will not take chances against a defense that generates turnovers.

This offense can go either way, good or bad.... it depends on the protection.

I don't want to see this formation out of the gate, but a series of this formation to test the waters isn't a bad idea. As long as the timing of when to use it is correct.

2. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Not a bad thought, especially considering your other post about the Titans secondary being pretty banged up. The thing that worries me about going with the empty backfield is the thought of Tenn springing defenders free to run at Favre with no back there to pick them up and putting Favre into one of those situations where he seems to just say "fuck it" and toss a crazy deep ball into triple coverage rather than take a sack or throw it away. It seems like grinding out the running game has taken alot of those situations off the table in the last couple of games, which is good. If they go empty backfield and it works, hey, beautiful, but it makes me nervous when they do that.

3. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

i really have no idea what we are going to pull out on either side of the ball... am i crazy or if we stick with the AFC leading rusher will we be able to run on them in the 2nd half?

4. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

If we're still running it on them consistently into the 2nd half, that will be a really good sign.

5. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Since they have such a great run defense, I would work the run off of the pass. The only potential danger in that is Favre's tendency to turn it loose. But I want to see something from Chansi Stuckey; I think he can have a big game here.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I agree. use the pass to back them off the line, then let TJ loose.

7. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

yea i personally HATE the open backfield. Especially on 1st down or like 2nd and 8. I understand we have good matchups with our wrs and tes, but at the same time why not run 4 wrs(one being keller) and line up jones in the backfield. This way they at least have to think it could be a run instead of pinning their ears back and pass rushing. I have a lot of faith in TJ and our o-line i feel that our 5 vs anyones d line we will win the battle. Anyone agree?

8. All Star

All Star Active Member

I would like to pass early, I don't want to see us get stuffed a few times early and abandon the run because of it.

9. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I thought I heard somewhere (cant remember where maybe when Michael Kay interviewed Mangini on 1050 ESPN Radio) but I thought they used the empty backfield set a lot because that was one of the formations Favre was very comfortable in during his time with the Packers.

10. Kenny

Kenny New Member

expect to see a lot of of shutgun short passes to move the sticks.. Jets will run draw plays as well.. Titans are too good upfront to just stay in a base formation

11. Machjet

Machjet New Member

I think I did hear the same thing, about the empty backfield being what Favre is comfortable with as one of the formations.

Either way...this type of offense is not a typical West Coast offense. Meaning that it runs first and then establishes the pass, not the other way around. It will be interesting to see if they come out with guns blazing.

12. TNTitan

TNTitan New Member

please go 5 wide and leave Favre with no back to block please!!

13. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I hope you guys do the same with Kerry Collins.

14. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

I still remember fans here wanting to crucify Shotty for using empty backfield sets against Oakland.

15. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Is Nick Harper going to play?

16. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

During the Mike McCarthy era Favre did that a lot. Not so much under other coaches.

IMO the Jets should be able to have some success running the ball against the titans. Green Bay did a couple weeks ago, and they surely can't run block as well as the Jets can.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

brett uses the empty backfield as a hybrid running formation. he's not looking for 4-5 seconds to launch a deep rocket. just 1-2 seconds to hit the quick slant (his favorite) or screen to a receiver who steps back. albert will still have his knuckles on the ground when favre fires the 5 yrd missle over the middle to keller who turns it into 20.

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sure 3 steps & fire. Who can throw off there back foot better then BF?

19. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Lets hope so , but I definitely do not want a one sided game. We should have ran all over Oakland and the chiefs , but elected not to and almost lost both games. Lets keep it balanced and come away with a win.