Peter King on Jets Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFighter, Apr 12, 2006.

1. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Don't know if it's been posted yet, so a thousand apologies if that's the case. But here's what Peter King most recently had to say on cnnsi.com about Jets pick at four, thought the last part was pretty good. If we pass up the QBs at four, than we're putting a lot of faith in Schottenheimer.....

PETER KINGA lot of questions this week about who might trade up, if anyone, to take the
    second overall pick off New Orleans' hands. Let's keep one very important thing in mind: If the Jets aren't working out Vince Young until next Tuesday, they can't make a final decision on which quarterback, if any, they're going to take high in the first round. So a lot of this is just conjecture until the Jets and Titans decide if they want one quarterback more than another -- and if so, how desperate they are going to be to go get that quarterback.

That leads us to the first question of the week.

STOP THINKING OF PATRICK RAMSEY AS A FIRST-ROUNDER. From Robert of Palm City, Fla.: "Granted Chad Pennington is a question mark, but with Chad and Patrick Ramsey on the Jets' roster, why would they take another first-round quarterback? Is Matt Leinart that much of a lock that they would really trade up to get another QB? That seems rather ridiculous."

The Jets gave Washington a sixth-round pick for Ramsey, so I don't consider him a first-rounder anymore. He was, but now he's just a guy with some promise one team gave up on. Pennington has had two significant shoulder surgeries in the last 14 months. If you're the Jets, you hope you're not in draft position to get a big-time quarterback for a long time after this. Do you want to let a very good QB prospect, whichever of the three that might be, pass? Maybe you do, but if so, you'd better have confidence in new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's ability to mold Ramsey or Pennington or both into great players.

2. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Yeah i agree...the Jets should not take a QB this year. They should fill the major major holes...and there are PLENTY of those.

Mario Williams
    Nick Mangold
    Bobby Carpenter
    Ryan O'Callaghan

3. cc & co

cc & co New Member

think o line

4. ColezDeep!

ColezDeep! New Member

One mans trash is another mans treasure or some crap like that...
    anyway...just a thought...how about trading down to get Winston Justice for RT and another 1st day pick, keep AJ at LT go for Addai or Maroney at 29, Lawson or Carpenter at 35
    Just so many possibilities that can happen

5. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

I think King was saying that the Jets SHOULD take a QB first,in his opinion.

6. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

I like it. You have to ask yourself, how much of a drop off is Justice from D-Brick and isn't that drop off worth getting another 2nd and/or 3rd round pick to fill more needs? I'd say YES! :up:

7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

If trading down allows you to get another pick within the top 45 of the draft, I have to admit its something I'd strongly consider especially if its D'Brick on the board. I am a big fan of Justice and IMO the dropoff from D'Brick to Justice is far less than Mario to the 2nd best DE or Leinart to Cutler/Young.

8. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

How is Mario Williams filling a big hole? We already have 2 defensive ends who are suited for the 3-4, we have no offensive line.

Unless we are drafting QB there's no excuse for the Jets to pass on D'Brickashaw Ferguson (if he's even still available.)

#8 kinghenry89, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2005
  9. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Well barring the Saints doing something insane (such as drafting a QB or possibly taking Hawk). I doubt the opportunity you bring up will come into play.

10. Boom Dawg

Boom Dawg New Member

Honestly at number 4, i wouldnt mind who of the big names we select, or who falls to us. The thing with drafting a QB however, while all 3 are good, every single year theres 2-3 qb's in the next draft that are the "Big deal" the next coming of so and so. I would prob have to look past D-brick at the moment just because with i pick this high i feel we should use it on a skill position and on a playmaker.

11. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

I don't think really matters. I think we'll have a great draft and we'll be happy. I don't think we'll screw up this Draft like the others. We will have a pretty soild team.

12. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

I'm surprised Peter King can type anything while he holds Brett Favre's hand during this endless "to be or not to be" retirement soliloquy.

13. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

QB would be a pick we need not make.

We have penny and ramsey like i been saying, and if they feel like it's not enough, need not forget favre and mcnair might be available, not saying we should go after them, just saying we still have options.