Favre Gets Big Kudos

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

LOL

BTW, why do people seem to think this team has to "open up" offensively and grade Favre on every possession as if he needs to be the guy who makes all of the plays at every critical juncture in the game? Ridiculous to ask that much of the guy, despite the fact that he's nearly 40.
    That pick 6 Brett threw was indicative of why the Jets shouldn't have opened up the offense. Buffalo is great at bringing pressure. Pressure is why Brett made a bad throw. To "open up" the offense, Brett needs more time to throw and personally, I was happy with the shorter passing game and running it. The Jets have proven they're a very good running team. Do what you do well and take what the defense gives you. This isn't the greatest show on turf, for fucks sake.

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

This is a good point..but lets remember everyone..that is now two weeks in a row with great final possesions. Favre has showed one thing this year..if he makes a mistake..he bounces back.

3. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

His stats are not always the greatest. The game itself may not look pretty. But more often then not, #4's team comes out on top. You don't only suffer ONE losing season in what is now 17 years of starting football games if your not doing your part as the leader of the team.

While it did sadden me to see all those redzone FG's, it's hard to complain over a tough win on the road to set themselves up for a three way tie in the division.

I am also glad to see some of the jets fans that have been bashing Favre are starting to realize that you know what: He knows how to win football games.

The MVP of the game was naturally the entire Jets defense, but one bad throw aside, Favre was pretty solid all around. Still need to work things out in the redzone, but it's yet another win to notch under the belt.

I am mostly happy that Favre isn't being bashed this weekend. He did what he needed to do.

As for the long ball stuff: I too am starting to wonder if LC or Cotch really have what it takes. I wont go off blaiming speed, either. Donald Driver, who has average speed, caught a ton of deep balls today for the pack, and has done so most his career, even before the speedster jennings showed up. I think it comes down to route running, and I don't think LC or Cotch are extremely good route runners. Great hands, yes. Great routes? Eh.

Watch the packers film today (even though they lost), the WR's made excellent moves against one of the best defenses in the league to get open, and I don't see those moves out of the jets wr's. It isn't all speed either.

I digress, great win for the jets. A needed win. Can we all calm down now about not being legit contendors? The team may play up to the best teams, and down to the crappy teams, but as long as you come out on top 2/3 games your most likely in the playoffs.

4. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

I'll take red zone field goals to red zone INTs.

5. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Jaywayne, I think the team as a whole bounces back from mistakes lately in all 3 phases of the game and that includes the CS. For example, I think Mangini made a brutal call taking that 5 yard penalty. Maybe the D appreciated the trust he showed because they were damn near lights out from that point on.

Also after that point, he out coached and out adjusted a staff that had a team that won 4 of their 5 games down by half. That really has to say something.

Just saying it is not only Favre bouncing back or maybe he is really that much a positive influence on this team..... who knows at this point.

6. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

Voted team captain by his own teammates after a week or whatever it was: Yeah pretty sure #4 has had a impact.

Even if his stat line isn't great, there has always been a sense about Favre that you know what, he expects to win every game, and that confidence level spreads to the whole roster.

The pre game analysts said it best: "One thing we know about a Brett Favre led team is that when he is at the helm, you can beat any team on any night in any stadium. The guy just wins football games. We said it all those years in GB that with #4 walking out the packers can win any game they play, and it's still holding true with the jets. The guy is winner."

"That being said, the bills need to beat Favre and the jets to prove they are legit. We know with #4 the jets can win any game they play, but what we don't know for the bills is if they can be consistent enough, especially after a bad loss last week, to beat a team that is desperate for a win with players at Key positions that are winners (referring to Jenkins, Favre, Faneca, Pace, etc)"

They still picked the bills to win, but they were reserved because #4 just does that to you. So-So game state wise for favre: W on the board. Defense is always more confident in playing when they know the offense can drive the field to give them rest.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The whole Jets team deserves kudos for this game. Yeah there were a few really bad screw ups, but the overall preparedness, gameplan, and execution against a very tough Buffalo game was well deserving of an A+ and a thumbs up.

Now... if the Jets really want us all to become homers... do it again next week against St. Louis, and then again the week after against New England... become consistent, stay focused and don't play down teams... prove that Oakland and Kansas City were flukes...

I'm not jumping on the playoff bandwagon just yet, but this last game was definitely encouraging!!

8. Heatseeker

Heatseeker New Member

Welcome to the last 16 years in Green Bay ;)

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

That long drive was awesome. It's just a shame they didn't pick up that last 1st down and give the Bills the ball back with 15 seconds to play and two scores needed. Not that it mattered.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

How bout some credit to the OLine for that final drive, they did an unbelievable job basically taking over the game.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He wasn't perfect and he allowed Buf to have a chance after that INT but I was very happy w/ the gameplan and the way Favre handled it yesterday. We moved the ball all day long long, we had to settle for some FGs but we moved it. One step at a time, it was nice to have a good passing and rsuhing attack in the same game, we'll worry about RZ offense going forward but I was very pleased yesterday.

12. JetsLookingforDWare

You, sir, have made me eat my words. Nice post.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I agree about people calling for the Jets to open things up, yesterday they scaled things back a bit and it worked but that INT was all on Favre. I like the playcall going for the kill but he has to recognize that Buff played it perfectly and he had no chance. At least he came right back and led us down on that great game ending drive but in the future he has to be samrter than that at that point in the game.

14. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Yeah the INT was Favre's fault but it was caused by pressure. Brett saw the pressure coming and hurried the throw. He could have either thrown it into the ground or took the sack but he yipped on the pass, causing it to fall short and make for an easy pick. IMO he steps into the throw and it probably isn't picked if there's nobody bearing down on him.

15. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

It was also affected by injury. Balls don't go as far as you think they're gonna when your shoulder is hurt.

And lets give that cornerback credit too, he made a great play (and credit also to the CBS booth for replaying it slo-mo and drawing attention to the great coverage and footwork he had).

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I can see why he threw it if he gets the ball up field we have a shot for a TD but throwing across the field like that without having his feet set was dumb. Sometimes a veteran QB has to take the situation into account. That ball has to be pushed much further down the field to be close to a safe pass. He simply wasn't set to make a good throw across and down the field. Sometimes you have to recognize that your not what you once where for the good of the team. Favre has his good points but he is a very immature QB for a guy who's been in the league as long as he has.

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I still get sick to my stomach, every time Favre drops back to pass. We are not winning games because of him, we are winning in spite of him.
    I, for one, hope this is his only season as a JET.He WAS a hall of fame QB, he's Not, anymore.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What amazes me as much as anything else about Favre is his ability to take pain. Every game there are 3 or 4 or more plays where he gets killed and you wonder how he is even going to get up and get off the field much less come back in the next series. Ironman is an understatement for him. I also think some of those picks this year were because we aren't protecting him for shit.

19. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Actually, there are some that say (esp in Packer circles) that he has never been a good quarterback, that through some freak of luck the Packers put together the best record in football -- with only one losing season -- during the 16 year span of his Green Bay tenure despite him, somehow, with teammates that I guess were unheralded stars that always mysteriously fizzled instead of shown if and when they went to play for another team. All that crap came out yet again in March in a bazillion blogs when he retired in March, "most overrated QB ever", all that.

Sorry to be so dismissive, but he's not really looking that different than he ever has, and I've been listening to people go on just like you are every year for almost two decades now, and especially EVERY year for the last ten years -- even through the first 8 games of last year, and then again after the NFC championship loss -- and, well, it's getting to be rather humorous.

Somehow his teams are ALWAYS winning despite him, year in and year out. What a freakingly lucky guy.

20. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Yes, if you watch each of the picks, the majority he is getting leveled as he is throwing the ball. Including yesterday. And that hit he took in the Bengal game hurt him pretty good, I have no doubt of that at this point. That is compounding the problem. Mangini likes to keep this stuff close to his vest, but it seems pretty clear to me having now seen him in two games since the hit -- and I would guess its not lost on many of our upcoming opponents either.