Fire Mangini!!!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Woody was beat TWICE on the same type of play by the same guy. He has been good up until this point.

#101 Chrisp22, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

This is what I was talking about a few years ago, every few years we want a new coach. The coaching has been the worst we have seen since Rich Kotite but you just cannot switch coaches every few years.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Personally I think Shotty is probably a very smart guy but doesn't have a clue on running an O during a game. Our O game plan and half time adjustments have pretty much sucked. How else do you explain why we are terrible in the first and 3rd quarter of almost every game?

The Raiders are a very talented young team loaded with early round picks. They have terrible upper management and the lack of stability has been an outright disaster. Maybe that's an argument to stick with Mangini and hope we can upgrade the staff around him? On the other hand the game plans and the adjustments have been an indictment of our staff since early last year. Why on key plays do we have our best player blitzing from 12 yards behind the LOS. Why do we subject a 39 year old QB to getting beat up by running the spread on the first series of the game against a team we can run on but has great secondary personal? Why is Chris Baker our game plan in the passing game when we moved up to draft a pass catching TE to exploit the middle of the field against a team with good corners?

Reality lossing on the road is typical in the NFL so I'm not that concerned lossing to a talented under achieving team like the Raiders on the road. I'm not convinced we can run the table on Buffalo, beat NE and Miami win 10 games and get into the playoffs with this coaching staff. I'm convinced we have the personal with a good coaching staff to do just that.

4. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

My only hope is that this loss costs Johnson 30 or 40 million in PSLs. Then it will be worth it.

6. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I wouldn't mind if they replaced the coach.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The problem w/ replacing the coach is we are then in that cycle of a new coach every few years just like I warned everyone about when they complained about herm and then when we do get rid of mangini the next coach everyone will want fired w/in 3 years and on and on. When do the players ever accept responsibility? How can we have a HOF QB lead us to 10 pts in 5 qtrs?

8. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

manginis has got to go, im so sick of this

9. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

So for the people that want Mangini to be fired - who are you going to replace him with. Schott, Sutton, Calahan? The only viable person would be Westhof, but I doubt he would be up to it physically. Face it, the Jets are 3-3 not 1-5 (or 0-6). Mangini is not going to get fired until the end of the year - if they have a monumental collapse.

I think a lot of people have a kneejerk reaction to any loss. The coach is not the one missing blocks, throwing INT's, not getting open. Yes, maybe the offensive calling could have been better. However, maybe the players are at fault here. I hope the players aren't thinking what many on this board think - "effing Schott - if he had called a better play then we could have converted on third down."

Simply put, the offensive players (Favre, OL, receivers) didn't execue on third downs and made critical mistakes at certain times. When you turn the ball over three times (resulting in a swing of at least six points) and have penalies on third and goal from the two you're not going to win. The fact that the Jets were one for nine on third down passes prior to the last 1:30 is not all on the coaches.

10. Tight

Tight Active Member

I blame schotty and beginning to think maybe its not chad at all maybe it was schotty.. Cause the offense looks exactly the fucking same... Exactly.

11. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Herm's a bad example, and I don't want to relive the thing, but Herm shot his way out of town, angry that he couldn't get more money and more contract time after sucking the life out of all of us in 2005. Yes, I wanted him gone. I was tired of alternating good and bad years.

Agreed on the HOF QB and the 10 points in 5 quarters.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Perhaps Mangini is not the worst coach. Perhaps he's merely mediocre to average. But no one here can say he's an above average coach, like we thought we might have in his first year. I don't know why he seems to not be improving and if anything is getting worse.

But what is the standard for deciding whether he should go? Is he doing the minimum possible to keep his job and nothing more than that?

My guess is that's exactly what is going on. Not bad enough to get Woody to get rid of him, not good enough to get the performance out of this team you would expect from the putative talent level we think we have here.

13. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

IMHO it's highly unlikely that any team is going to make a change at 3-3. You have to be playing really crappy to switch coaches in the middle of the year - espcially this early. Changing coaches mid-year is by definition an extremly desperate act and should only be done if you are convinced that the head coach is to blame and that you have someone on your staff who is ready to take over. I don't think that the Jets have anybody like that on their CS. However, if the Jets don't compete for a playoff spot this year then all bets are off at the end of the season.

14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

There is always Callahan he actually has SB experience

15. 611LWC

611LWC New Member

Let's put that 10-6 season in context. In 2004 the Jets were a field goal away from the AFC Championship. We were expected to be a very competitive team in 2005, but we were decimated by injuries. While our record was 4-12 when you lose as many starters as we did in 2005, we were playing brooks bollinger! we were not a bad team we just got a bad case of the injury bug. That 4-12 season allowed us to have a really soft schedule, at the end of the day going 10-6 apparently was a by product of the schedule more so than the coaching. When mangini had a real schedule he went 4-12 and now with the pieces in place we are 3-3. I say all of this to say that he probably was not that good in the first place, but I think we all need to calm down. We are .500, can we hold off on burining mangini in (effigy?) until the end of the season.. This doesn't make me a mangini fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I think this thread is extreme.

Players muff punts, they fall down and QBs, especially ours, throw interceptions he is the NFL Leader in the best and worst statistic a QB can have. Let's chalk this one up to the old addage on any given sunday... and move on...

16. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

We are a mediocre team and we lost to a bad one. It happens.

17. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

Mangini reminds me alot of the show LOST. First season was a hit then the other 2 sucked and just wanted to stop watching... Mangini is the LOST of headcoaches....

18. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Oh dear God, no.

19. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

He doesn't actually have to be fired--rather, Tannenbaum should hire a person or two as "advisors" to "help" run the offense and the defense. This may cause resignations.

Another possibility is to allow Brett to call all the offensive plays.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Whenever this team plays to win the game, they'll win it all.... they just don't want it as much as their opposition.

More scared conservative pussy philosophies.... and yet the roommates who play in NJ play a punch you in the face, kick you while your down philosophy.

Both from the Parcells tree.