Time to dump Baker?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JCotchrocket, Oct 13, 2008.

1. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

A whopping 7 grabs for 75 yards on the season. It's a good thing we hooked this guy up, otherwise he might not be performing at such a peak level. I especially loved the celebration after his 6 yard catch (his only catch of the game and his second catch in three weeks).

But that's not his value, right? He's a blocker! Anybody notice whose assignment Odom was on the strip sack? It was Baker, standing there with a thumb up his ass.

Frankly, I think we're under-utilizing the TE's and that's not Chris Baker's fault. But when we do start working them into the gameplan, I want to see Keller making catches, not this guy.

Maybe we don't trade him, but we should at least be shopping him right now. If some gullible team tosses us a fifth, we bite.

2. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

We got a very solid group of TEs, the right guy for every job, why destroy that for a 5th?

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Agreed. Baker would not have that much Value on the open market. He is a mediocre TE that does everythhing well, but nothing great. The mid to later round pick you would get for him causes a hole that we do not need right now.

4. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

You forgot to mention that he almost gave up an interception by knocking a pass into the air.

He's mediocre at best in getting open, YAC, and blocking. He will be released after the season barring some entirely unexpected events. There is no reason to trade him now--he knows the offense and the kick return schemes (I think he's on that squad) and that is worth something.

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Baker gets the job when called upon, at least that's how I view it. Of course, his blocking could be better, but the guy catches the ball when it's thrown to him.

Brett Favre is our QB, let him throw to guys other than Coles and Cotchery. Get Keller and Baker more involved.

6. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

You can blame him for the strip on Favre yesterday. Blew his assignment in a huge way.

7. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Was that what led to the Bengals defensive TD in the 1st quarter? I tivo'd the game but haven't watched it yet.
    If so, its good that I'm not the only one to blame blockers for fumbles when the qb gets hit. I get sick of watching these sports shows that blame the QB for fumbling all the time. Maybe these guys should try holding onto a ball when they get hit from behind by a 250-300 lb. guy barrelling down on them.

8. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

If baker had any value he would be playing for another team already. He hit the market a couple of years ago and ended up back with the jets

9. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I thought Baker was underrated around here until this year. I think he's a good Offensive TE to compliment someone like Keller.

The thing is, I don't see Schotty using our TE's as effectively as he can.

Having said all that, I would definitely try to package Baker for Gonzalez today. If you have him and Keller on the field with 2 WR's at the same time, the Defense cannot possibly know whether we're running or passing -- as long as Schotty isn't predictable.

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

JonJon. I normally rewatch the game Mondays or when I get home from it but retard me forgot to switch to the antenna yesterday so it didn't record..
    Anyway, this was one of the plays I wanted to look at.
    If it's true it would be this along with a holding penalty that he had which would be a bad day.

IMO though, Baker is a Great security blanket. As Future said, he gets the job done when called upon although yesterday that job may not have included blocking..
    That said, Baker has 15 good games for every 1 bad one. I'll take that.

11. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Well how about instead of trading baker straight up for a fifth. Why not just trade him for Gonzales? or Baker and a 6th for Gonzo? both deals are ones i would do instantly.

Hoping for a new weapon by noon tomorrow.

12. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

It bothered me that Baker did a Gastineau sack dance for that reception when he was brought down so easily by a small DB. A TE that large should have been able to get the few extra yards needed to get the TD. Instead of being embarrased for being dropped by a little guy, he jumps up and acts like he won the game.

13. uberchink

uberchink New Member

KC would have to agree to that trade

14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I agree, the reaction was a little over the top, but if I recall, that "1st and Goal" catch he made lead to T. Jones 3rd TD of the game.

15. uberchink

uberchink New Member

Yeah but all that matters is Jones' 2 yard run! We wouldn't have gotten any points without him cause he scored all 21 pts!

16. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

^Knock it off with the sarcasm; it was only 18!

17. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

Baker has two drops on the season.

He's been thrown to like 10 times or so. I can't remember the exact number, but he has dropped 20% of the passes thrown his way.

Just saying, he is below average at blocking, rarely gets open, and his hands are about as reliable as Bubba Franks. The difference? Franks is at least useful in the blocking department. One thing no one has ever denied is that Franks is one hell of a blocking TE. His pass catching abilities leaves much to be wanted... but that is what Keller is for right?

18. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Baker isn't worth anything so why trade him. He's doing alright; he made a mistake or two yesterday, but he's usually solid and he's a better option than Bubba. Keller's day will come soon enough.

seems Jets fans always have to trash someone, even when our weaknesses clearly lie elsewhere (starts with "second", rhymes with "dairy"..), but at least we're picking someone different every week now.

19. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

You have to throw the ball to Baker to throw the guy to Keller.....what do you want them to do, put Baker in every time we run and put Keller in every tie we pass? That might get predictable.

20. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

WE had a phenomenal blocking TE in Anthony Becht but nobody liked him either. It's not easy to find the perfect player at every position. We have to settle for Baker at TE, Thomas Jones at RB, Eric Smith at safety, Sutton at DC, Pouha at NT backup, a bunch of nobodies for OL backups. Not to mention Gholston at OL backup. When you consider everything, we may not have a perfect team but not a bad one either.