Favre Hasn't Lost The Magic Touch

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Ray

Ray New Member

If he comes back it will be because of two reasons:

1- He feels he can still play at a high level

2- He feels that the Jets want him.

IMHO only, the reason he retired in the first place, he knew TT and MM wanted him gone.

Packer fan from Lombardi days, Favre the best thing to happen to GB since then. Sad that he doesn't come out that tunnel at Lambeau, hope he does well in NY, and you guys grow to respect him as much as I did, and do. He will give you every thing he's got.

Really brave thing to do, starting over, bigger chance of being the goat, than the hero. But, that guy, he just likes to play football. One day the magic will end, but not yesterday!!

#21 Ray, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  2. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

Isn't that the truth about him carrying us all those years. I did not want to see him go and I couldn't believe TT would not welcome him back.

Much as I hate Minn. I did want to see #4 in the SB again and I thought if he goes to Minn. the NFC is their's to lose but you had to know TT isn't going to give Favre a chance to haunt him because he KNEW Favre could still play and as a Packer fan that really pissed me off. letting him go like that and cheap too.

Favre comes to the Jets and I find out this team has world class receivers and I believe all is well.

3. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Thanks for that...there was an article by some mook sports writer posted earlier in the year warning Burt that our receivers are not even close to the talent of Jennings and Driver. On the contrary, I think they are very comparable.

4. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

favre bounced back from the horrible game at san diego, although that pick he thru was by far one of the worse decisions/passes i have ever seen

5. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I think you and I and many other Jet fans knew that Coles & Cotchery were going to shine with a great QB throwing them the rock. Stuckey's rise kind of took me by surprise, but it was no secret amongst those who pay close attention that our WRs had a lot of talent...

6. Heatseeker

Heatseeker New Member

Coming from a Packer fan, and a huge Favre fan, I think it's funny how quickly things can turn around. Last week on the Packers forums, people were comparing Rodgers to HoF QB's in the league, and saying there was going to be zero drop off from last year's 13 win campaign.

Meanwhile, everyone over here seemed to think Favre was a huge mistake.

What a difference a week makes.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

In Football, patience is never found.

8. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

It's OK. Speaking as a Packer fan that followed him here, and has talked with dozens of Packers fans in the last day, just about everyone is happy for him, and the Jets. The perfect Sunday would be for both the Pack and Jets to win. But alas, only one perfect Sunday so far.

Well, you could almost say two. cc Sabathia kinda made up for the stink the Pack left on the field in Tampa (sorry NY fans, but as much as we here in WI are cheering the Jets, we had our Mets voodoo dolls out yesterday & were pokin' them like mad!)

Then again I don't tend to hang with the Favre bashers we have around here too much. Most people I know are sad about the whole thing, but still behind Rodgers and the Pack even as they wish the best for Brett, and cautiously hopeful, and willing to leave the past in the past. I think for people I know the lingering frustration is with Ted Thompson. The Favre dissing you could maybe also leave in the past, but unfortunately we're still stuck with the blowback from his other curious call, to go into the season with three QBs with a combined 0 NFL starts. Rodgers you could feel OK about, but not his backup. One of the things I still don't understand to this day is, if the Jets were going to cut Pennington anyway, why didn't the Pack have him thrown into the trade? If not the most exciting of starters, he seems like the perfect guy to bring off the bench. Maybe it's because that would mean we carry 4 QB on the roster. But seriously, if the Jets can carry four when their starter is a guy you'd practically have to run over with a cement truck to keep off the field, then why can't the Packers, with a starter who's gotten seriously hurt now in 4 of the 8 NFL games he's had significant playing time in (going into this season it was 3 of 4).

9. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

If you're waiting for Favre to dwell more that a half a second on a bad play, you'll be waiting a long time.

Seriously, there's a semi-famous story about one of his first years, with Holmgren chewing him out for a really crazy throw he tried that totally blew up in his face. Holmgren just laid into him for all he was worth, and when he was done, Favre just says something like "yeah, but don't think it was this close to being a great play?"

It can drive you crazy at times, but on reflection you realize that this is the kind of attitude you need to keep driving forward, you can't keep looking back.

10. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

While I guess I can't be a true Packer fan, I have always liked them because as a kid they put football on the map for me with the Lombardi years, Bart Starr, Getting the Super Bowl off the ground, the Ice Bowl, the whole stigma and history that follows them.

I always followed Favre and was rooting for them when Favre and company won the Super Bowl; because they weren't playing the Jets.

I have always appreciated Favre's guts and endurance. You just can't draft that.

I am glad he is here. It has been exciting this year so far; not a pure thing of beauty, but even he needs time to adapt.

11. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

The Favre bashers are coming up with ways to discredit his 6 TD performance.....as if its so easy to do. LOL Then why doesn't everyone light up AZ for that many TDs?

There were 2 or 3 big time Favre bashers on the packers messageboard I post at. They barely post anymore. Its as if bashing Brett was their sole purpose.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

How about this comparison, just to be an ass.

Brett Favre with a bad ankle: 6 TDs

Tom Brady with a bad ankle: Loses Super Bowl

13. 624

624 Banned

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Deion Sanders said the exact same thing last night on NFL Network.

15. Gator

Gator Active Member

$$$$$$. Pennington got 4 million from Miami, and GB is not going to want to pay 4 million to their backup.

16. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Well, before you get too warm and fuzzy about fans from that team ... don't know if you realize but most of the Jets games will be televised in WI this year, and lots of people here are watching them. And after watching, this is an example of what they are saying amongst themselves about the Jets:

http://www.packerchatters.com/4ums/index.php?showtopic=12213

17. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Yes, that's probably true. Hardly anyone on the Packers is paid that much. People don't realize this, but the Packers are something like $21m or $31m under their salary cap this year. No joke. I think that was the big reason to push Favre out the door, to make sure Rodgers is the real deal and then use a lot of this year's cap on a new contract for him.

My general point though still stands: to save a couple million on a 1-2 year backup while the rookies develop behind an injury prone start may end up looking penny-wise but pound-foolish. As soon as this weekend. Last year the Packers got away with only one backup (Rodgers), but as everyone knows, they don't have the ironman of the NFL starting for them any more.

18. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

The have a Favre forum? Really?

p.s. The trolling of the packers by Jets fans is really sad.

19. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

No way can we afford 4 mil for a back-up, nice thought though. Not a wealthy team by league standards but the whole town is what 105,000 people plus surrounding area and what other little town/city has a pro football team? I remember walking into work after his second start and telling some of the guys, "we got us a QB".

Been following Favre ever since and will always pull for the Pack in the NFC and the Jets in the AFC because they were smart enough to see a good thing and keep it going.

20. 1969jets

1969jets Banned

Quiet! The darksiders don't want to hear any positive comments about Favre. Let's not mention his passer rating or 6 TD performance!