Miscue concerns

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I believe the Jets committed a record 7 penalties. Many of them killed a good drive (including the potential game-sealing drive) I am getting concerned; Jets got away with it simply because they were against much, MUCH lesser team in dolphins. Any half-decent team will capitalize on those miscues in a heartbeat.

2. 4th playcalling was nothing short of atrocious. Offense turtled, and Defense got soft. If the D personnel getting tired is a concern, then you do everything in your power to allow your offense to stay on field - either one has to stay on field, right? Now, just what the hell were they thinking? A good mix of run and pass is always a good idea, but the whole world knew the Jets would come out running to milk the clock. Doesn't that sound like a good chance for a deep ball? It's not even like Favre was inconsistent all day; his stat lines read Chad-ish 15-22/19x yards *He didn't even break 200 yard mark.* Why cuff him? What's the point of having him play for your QB if you are not even going to trust him?

3. Paging Sutton... Paging Sutton... calling Prevent D in the 4th qtr is NOT how you keep your job in the NFL.

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Valid points, but not much to worry about for now. I really feel that the lack of a place kicker was allowed to affect way too much of the game plan. If they continue to do things like this in a week or two I'll be much more worried.

3. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Did I mention it was hotter than a baboon's balls at noon in the jungle? Seems like most of your problems are with the weather as they concern the 4th quarter action, not the team. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

The offense is going to take time. New line, new QB. They will get it cleaned up. The defense is going to carry us the 1st part of the season. I am woriied about kick off coverage and both kickers.

5. ElleBlue

ElleBlue New Member

Man! That's pretty hot! I agree. It is still pretty early to start worrying. Some kinks have to worked out and chemistry has to be established although Cotchery really is taking to the Favrester.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Are you trying to tell me Defense unit takes heat better than the Offense unit? Or the heat mysteriously evaded the Dolphins O, but somehow permeated into Jets D? What's your point? If heat is the reason Jets D wasn't executing in the 4th quarter, same logic must apply to the Dolphins Offense - yet they were executing, moving down field. If Offense has it easier getting its job done, then there's more reason to let Favre and the Offense handle the Dolphins D - maybe Favre could engineer another scoring drive while killing the valuable time off the clock. Where's your logic?

#6 Zach, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  7. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

I am relieved to say I have no idea what that means .. and kinda concerned for you if you do :wink:

I think the point was to run of the clock, with a two score lead. If they had run even one less run (one more incomplete pass), it's arguable that the Phins would have had enough extra time to win the game.

8. FavreIsHere

FavreIsHere New Member

Just give it time. By the middle of the season our team should be rolling and all of this will (hopefully) be nonexistent.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

My point is:

1. The entire world knows we wanted to milk the clock
    2. Again, the entire world knows the best way to milk the clock is by running

What would you do as a opposing DC? Would you try to defend pass that is not going to come?

On top of this:

3. Favre was playing pretty well all day.

This simply means there were more reason to think about pass than run - or so I think. True, rush kills clock, but sustained drive kills clock even better, right?

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

by week 5, all of this shit goes away.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

one of the downsides to winning games is that Sutton will keep his job...guess you have to take the good with the bad.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

you're 100% correct, and that pisses me off.

The players will make him look good and he'll keep the job until the next 5-11 season, which is probably around the corner.

Mangini really needs to take over completely.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I really wish Al Davis would've fired Rob Ryan....because he and his mullet would be on our sidelines right now...running the defense the way it should be run.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Looks like Lane Kiffin (and Rob Ryan) firing is nearing... I really hope Gayders go through a dismal 1-15 or 0-16 this season, so Rob Ryan gets fired.

15. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Why don't you lay the blame for the play calling where it belongs? Mangini is the head coach, you think if he wanted to pass on the last drive he lets Sutton run it on 3 and 7?

The Post's Vaccaro hit the nail on the head in his column today and frankly, I'm disgusted that Fatso is continuing his chicken shit approach to football.

His Vac's View...

"Forget the result, then. Think of the message that was sent, a familiar old Jets memorandum that has lingered for as long as the Jets' title-free malaise has: rather than put the game in his own team's hands, Mangini let the other guys have a crack.

And there is a roster of villains from Bernie Kosar to Dan Marino to Tom Brady and a dozen in between who have grate fully accepted such Jets largesse through the years.

"When we got the ball back," Pen nington said, "I thought we were gonna win the game."

He wasn't alone. The fact that it didn't happen doesn't cool the ulcers festering in Jets-land, and it doesn't lessen the concern that a Hall of Fame quarterback's precious time with the team can be so swiftly undermined by a ham-handed head coach who still thinks he has to make his quarterback look better than he is, instead of the other way around.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

In fact, I agree with you there. I think that's where the blame has to go eventually. Offense AND Defense.

#16 Zach, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008