Moving on from Brady... Your Thoughts on how to beat Matt Cassel

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Sep 8, 2008.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Since the Jet get to face a great team without their great QB. We must look foward to their backup Matt Cassel.

Cassel's supporting cast is pretty nasty, but this D needs to unleash itself to do well.

My first thought is to run more stunt and safety blitzes at this kid. Any time Revis can handle Moss in a one on one, lets send Rhodes after the QB.

I think Gholston could take Kazcur, because he is a liability on the Pats O-Line.

I would send Pace and Thomas more often as well. Thomas is keeping his word on being motivated this year. So far, he is on pace for a 32 sack season :lol:

This defense cannot play the way it did against Miami. If the Jet are up by 20 pts with 8 mins left in the 4th qtr, the heat still needs to be on.

2. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

Show up to the stadium?

3. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

I can't believe the last time Cassel started a football game was 1999 as a senior for his high school team.

4. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Score early and often!

And pressure the QB. Maybe stick it to the receivers like we did to Miami.

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think you will see a ton more attempting to disguise our scheme before the snap and more blitzing this week. Perhaps even 8 in the box to shut down the Pats running game to try and force Cassle to beat us.

If Favre and the O can put up points I feel that our D will hang tough and do thier job next week. I expect a physical run filled game from both teams.

6. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

I think we really need to pressure the qb. I really am not familiar with Mr. Cassell. What is his arm strength like?

I would say besides pressure the game plan should change very little. If he has an arm the deep ball threat is still there. I have never been a fan of their running game. If he doesnt have the ability to go deep I think the running game won't get off the ground.

It should be an interesting game.

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Pressure up the middle. They are going to try short passes and a lot of screen passes. They are also going to try to run the ball. Put pressure up the middle and make the tackles on the outside.

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Stop the run and keep Moss in front of us. Make Kassell hit Welker 10 times to get a score.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

we take the gameplan the giants had in the superbowl

rush the crap outta the OL and sack the fool also contain maroney

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The Pats won't be using the same playbook they had with Brady for Cassel, so I don't think the all out blitzes are going to work. It's going to have to come up the middle or by the DL.

11. JETSFANDC

JETSFANDC New Member

WASHINGTON, DC JETS FANS (And All Fans, please help)

The local Washington, DC affiliate intends to air the Ravens-Texans game next Sunday, as opposed to Jets-Pats. Please consider sending an email (feel free to use the email below) to ahorlick@wusa9.com asking that the station reconsider its programming.

I am writing to urge you to reconsider your NFL game schedule for this Sunday. Your web site indicates that you are showing the Ravens-Texans game at 4:15; I urge you to show the Jets-Patriots games instead.

The Jets-Patriots game has far more national and local appeal, especially with the return of Brett Favre. And, Jets-Patriots is a storied rivalry that all football fans appreciate. There is little local interest in the Ravens game, as WUSA is a Washington station, not a Baltimore station.

Please give Washington viewers the chance to see the game that is far more interesting and exciting.

*Sorry, I don't have enough posts to create my own thread -- mods, please feel free to move to new thread. Thanks to all*

12. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

I think we need to put up some points, because they still have a bunch of playmakers on offense.

First things first, stop the run. Work hard to keep Moss from running away from the game, and don't forget about Welker. I'm not sure if we need to Blitz constantly, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

13. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Let's see, young QB, big QB. I'd blitz him, then I'd blitz him, then I'd blitz him. And disguise. Anything to force him to think longer than he wants.

14. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

You need to pressure the hell out of him and make him make decisions. If Revis can handle Moss and we force Cassel to make quick decisions, I think we'll keep their O in check.

15. GreenMachine

Stack the line, and blitz the hell out of him.

16. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

Check your private messages. I sent you a good jets bar in DC.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Hit him in the mouth until it bleeds, then hit him a few more times.

18. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

i'd like to see our tight ends take advantage of their linebackers in pass coverage. we have youth and speed on our sides there.

19. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Here are some obvious things that were lost with Brady's injury:

1. Leadership
    2. Experience
    3. HOF Player
    4. A proven arm
    5. Team's familiarity with Brady and vice versa

Intangibles lost:

1. Ability to perform well in a difficult situation
    2. Usually making the smart throw or play
    3. Proven ability to read the field very quickly

I really think the game plan for us translates to:

1. Put a lot of pressure on Cassel - don't give him time to think - force him to make a poor decision.
    2. Stop the run - you can bet Maroney is going to be a big part of their plan against us. Let's not let the guy rattle off 7 yards on first down. That will put the pressure on the QB's arm.
    3. Contain Moss - fairly obvious
    4. Keep Welker in check, too.
    5. Try to get the Pats behind in the score early.
    6. We still can not make mental errors.
    7. We still have to play extremely hard on both sides of the ball and strive to dominate in the trenches.

20. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Let's not write off the Pats just yet. Besides QB, they still field a really good team, and their defense always gives us problems.