Ted Sunquist?s Week One Scouting Reports: Jets At Dolphins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jcjet, Sep 5, 2008.

1. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Miami wasn't blown out in half their games last year.

2. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I thought it was an excellent article. A lot of people think we got Favre to help sell the PSL.. no... but it didn't hurt. Very acurate for a national writer but the Cotch/Coles comment I disagree with. They both are good # 2 WR's on any team and finally have a QB with a gun and both will have over 1000 yards if we stay healthy. They will be the biggest benefit of the post Chad era.

3. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

You're really gonna make me do it, aren't you?

*Sigh*

Week 2 - Cowboys 37 @ Dolphins 20 (Point difference 17)
    Week 4 - Raiders 35 @ Dolphins 17 (18)
    **Also note these were your HOME games for Sept...supposedly, the month where teams can't stand the heat and humidity in Miami**
    Week 6 - Dolphins 31 @ Browns 41 (10)
    Week 7 - Patriots 49 @ Dolphins 28 (21)
    Week 13 - New York Jets 40 @ Dolphins 13 (27) <- Biggest loss differential of the season)
    Week 14 - Dolphins 17 @ Bills 38 (21)
    Week 16 - Dolphins 7 @ Patriots 28 (21)
    Week 17 - Bengals 38 @ Dolphins 25 (13)

8 games seem to be about right for half your opponents. That's not to mention the games the games that ended up being closer because of some 2-minute drill drive the phish put together in an attempt to make some sort of comeback. So I wouldn't read too much into your 4th best pass defense from last season.

4. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Totally disagree with you there... see my post above

5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

1 Washington Redskins L 16-13 (3)
    2 Dallas Cowboys L 37-20 (17)*
    3 New York Jets L 31-28 (3)
    4 Oakland Raiders L 35-17 (18)*
    5 Houston Texans L 22-19 (3)
    6 Cleveland Browns L 41-31 (10)
    7 New England Patriots L 49-28 (21)*
    8 New York Giants L 13-10 (3)
    9 Bye (Gay)
    10 Buffalo Bills L 13-10 (3)
    11 Philadelphia Eagles L 17-7 (10)
    12 Pittsburgh Steelers L 3-0 (3)
    13 New York Jets L 40-13 (27)*
    14 Buffalo Bills L 38-17 (21)*
    15 Baltimore Ravens W 22-16 (what?)
    16 New England Patriots L 28-7 (21)*
    17 Cincinnati Bengals L 38-25 (13)*

*=13 or more

Hmmm, hard to disagree with you getting blown out by 13 or more points by half your opponents!

Good thing he didn't say 10 or more, YOW-ZAH!!!! :rofl:

6. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

I think in general, the pundits are picking this game as an upset for the phins. Pennington is going to own us, Farve is going to throw 4 picks, yadah yadah.

C'mon bud, I agree with you about rather going 3-1 in the pre-season, but the games are meaningless. The Pats went 0-4 this year, do you really think that means they're going to miss the playoffs?

I personally think that it will be a close game, I am mostly worried about the jets stopping the run, especially Ronnie Brown. I also think the Dolphins are due. We've kinda had your number for the past couple of years, and eeked out some wins which maybe we didn't completely deserve.

Personally, I think watching Chad play for the Dolphins this week is going to affirm for myself, win or lose, why I am happy. I saw his pre-season highlights, they looked like every highlight he's had the past couple of years. I know he isn't the long-term solution for you guys at QB, but TRUST me, the words "workman like" and "efficent" get really old after 8 weeks or so of no vertical passing game. Also, I think it's not an outlandish statement to say he has had much better recievers up here there down in MIA, including his BFF Coles, who would probably take a bullet for him.

Either way, we'll see Sunday. I just hope the game doesn't turn into a wash from the weather.

7. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

And I was trying to be nice too. The reason why I included that Browns/Dolphins game was because I actually saw that game, and the phish were down 41-24 with 2 minutes left to play. They managed to score with 1:30 left in the game during garbage time. So I threw that one up there too. Otherwise, it would've been another loss with a 17-point differential.

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The thing about Parcells being there, he can make average players become good players. When he was here he got guys like Jason Fabini who nobody wanted, and he ended up being a key guy on our OL for a good while. So on top of the guys they added to their line who you figure are good, there's probably going to be a couple that you never heard of that will also contribute somewhere.

9. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

my biggest complaint about the the Jets/Dolphins previews talks about how Pennington will be amazing because he knows our defense and practiced against it. Why do they never mention that this defense has played against chad and picked him off plenty of times during camp? Or that with his arm the jets will stack the box with their revamped front 7 to stop the run? Or that if it is really windy Chad will be limited to the middle of the field because he can't make the outside throws against tight coverage?

Jets have better personnel on both sides of the ball and should win this game going away...if they don't i will be shocked.

10. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

I don't consider 13 points a blowout. I think anything 21 or more a blowout. Of course Jet fans want so badly to make it seem worse then it is. It comes down to opinion. Like I said Miami had a ton of injured talent from week 6 on. And if you'll notice 6 of the 8 games you have listed are beyond week 6 calling the Browns game a blowout is simply ignorant.

11. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Actually, that is what I'm exactly expecting...

Let me explain. Pennington was notorious for throwing the ball where Coles and Cotch had to leave their feet or stop...I'd say MAYBE 35% of the time were they hit in stride. From the little I've seen in Pre-season Favre does exactly that...coles still is one of the fastest guys on the team...hit him in stride and you'll see some YAC this year. At least that's what I'm expecting.

Peace!

The Mezz

12. Jetskilla66

Jetskilla66 New Member

What some of you guys dont understand is that Pennington struggled here due to alot of things but one main thing was having a horrable run game. And he is the type of QB that needs a good run game so he can set up playaction and short passes and what not. Guess what, in Miami he has a good run game and a good oline.

13. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That's not really true, go back and watch the tapes. The ball didn't get there quickly but he usually put it in just the right spot. He's accurate if nothing else.

14. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

After the shitty season you had last year, I probably wouldn't consider 13 points a blowout either.

It's not ignorant to call the Browns game a blowout. Like I said, the phish were down by 17 points. That's 2 TD's and 1 FG with 2 minutes left in the game. That to me is a blow out. AND, the Browns would have finished the phish properly if it wasn't for a late fumble that gave them the ball back and gave them that score.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You guys went 1-15. 1-15! Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, you guys are trying to make it sound BETTER than it is and not the other way around? "We lost x games by 3 points or less, so we weren't really a 1-15 team". Spare me.

You sucked ass last year and got whooped up for a good portion of the season. We sucked a little less.

#35 WhiteShoeWillis, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  16. JetsLookingforDWare

Haven't the Fins been playing a 3-4 for a while now?

It's more of a personnel turnover...alot of older players on that D before...now not so much.

17. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Umm, didn't the Jets suck too? Only I don't remember your team losing half the talent Miami lost. Seems to me there's some selective memory going on around here.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

if they have I wasn't paying attention.... the young rookies aren't going to dominate a line with that much experience on it anyway.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

blown out in 2 games opposed to the 7 Miami was.

New England and Dallas were the two teams that the Jets were blown out. The #1 and #3 offenses last year, respectively.

20. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

13 points is not, a blow out, any team in the league can score 14 in final 2 minutes. It's hardly beyiond reason. The Browns game was not a blow out and to call it one is ignorant! We scored 31 points, not 3. Also who are you to say what "would have happend" in the Browns game, Ms.Cleo?? I love how then make an excuse for the late fumble as if fumbles only count for good teams, not against them. Your team was awful too, spare me the fins were awful speach when that same speach can be made for the Jets. Miami hung with some pretty good teams last year considering how many key injuries the Dolphins had.