Concerned with depth at running back......

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by onefanjet, Sep 1, 2008.

1. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

With the roster now set, i was curious as to how many RB's we've carried in the past, I honestly don't know. It does seem a little odd that with our TE heavy (and actually QB heavy) roster that we are carrying only 2 RB's. I'm aware that we have a fullback in Tony Richardson, but I would think he would be used primarily to block and set up holes, and Chatman will be available after his 4 game suspension, but it seems to be a little thin to me. Anyone have any insight as to what tangini has up their sleeves? Think they are looking to add/trade/claim anyone before seasons start? :jets::up::beer::finssuck:

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The have one RB on the practice squad and are probably just hoping to get by until chatman is available. If worst comes to worst I'm sure there are plenty of guys they could pick up to fill in for a few games.

3. I believe the reason for the short RB depth list as compared to the long list of Wrs and Te's,is b/c I get the feeling we're gonna be looking at a lot of single back type formations. We'll be seeing alot of spread formations w/ 5 wr's...as well as 2 TE formations.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

yeah I thought the same thing--lot of Keller in there at the same time as Franks or Baker

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I dunno about that. Why sign Richardson? I think TJ & Leon will be fine for at least four games. Although, the Jets have been known to lose more than one player at a position in the same game.

6. Well, there still will be short yardage/goaline situations...and thats what Richardson is here for.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I can see Richardson in a lot too. You may be right. I believe they were going with a power running attack, but with Favre, we may see a lot of 2 TE sets. This leaves the defense guessing pass or run. I still don't see bringing in Richardson not to block quiet often.

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

lol u guys over analyze. plain and simple your both right. expect alot of double TE and a good dose of various i formations.

if the playcalling is correct u can keep a defense on its toes. running out of double te's. go into I form and play action. or pound it in i form and go double te's with the appearance of running and let the presnap movement begin.

we will be fine at RB. this is not an issue. an earlier post nailed it when they said this is because were carrying alot of WR's and TE's. we need to carry alot of WR's this year because aside from cotchery and coles. we need to find someone to step up and the only way you do that is giving more guys oppertunities throughout the regular season instead of just running with a potential unknown 2 out of 5 wr's.

if any of our RB's go down before week 4. all that means is either we switch the playcalling or we become a one back system for a couple weeks. and in the worst possible case they will throw smith in there if they absolutely had to.

9. Colintes

Colintes New Member

Yeah, Brad Smith knows how to run, I imagine he'd fill in at RB in a pinch. Im not too worried about the depth, we should be alright until Chatman gets back.

10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

What doesn't Brad Smith do?

11. Mr. Papagiorgio

I'd prefer one more RB on the team and one less QB or WR.

12. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

I'd also prefer to have another big back on the roster. I'd like to see the team go with a power rushing attack. But that can't be done with just 2 backs. So instead Favre is going to throw for 4000+ yards. Which is realy the best use of the team's talent.

In any case I'm surprised Clowney didn't go on PUP which would have freed up a roster spot. I doubt the guy is going to be back before the 6th game.

13. The GM

The GM New Member

I posted this in one of my threads but it also deserves a place here.

Jerome Messam, RB. Relased by: Undrafted
    This guy was not released by any team as he went undrafted this past year's draft but I still think he can excel in the NFL. Messam had committed to Rutgers as a freshman after leading Canada to a victory over the US High School All-Stars by rushing for 308 yards and 2 TDs(against the best players in the nation). However he was academically ineligible and ultimately ended up at Graceland, an NAIA school. And check this out. Messam is 6'4, 245 lbs, runs a 4.4 40 and is brutally strong. Here's a little clip for you courtesy of Dan Ralph and the Canadian Press (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/News/2008/01/25/4794199-cp.html):

"Messam has the blend of size, power and speed that pro scouts love. While he is definitely big enough to run between the tackles, he's also strong, having bench-pressed 320 pounds. And with having posted 40-yard dash time under 4.4 seconds, he's also got the quickness to be deadly on the outside."

So why would he go undrafted? There are a few reasons: a) This draft was loaded with RBs. b) He has intelligence questions since he could not qualify academically to play D1. c) He did not get to finish last season because of a broken leg, but it is now fully healed.

After not qualifying academically to play at Rutgers, Messam went to play for North Dakota State College for two seasons and racked up 1,289 yards and 8 TDs on 249 carries in 11 games. Became a top-rated JUCO prospect and received scholarship offers from Florida, USC, Colorado and New Mexico among others but again could not qualify academically. He then went to play for Graceland last year and rushed for 993 yards and 16 TDs on 168 carries (a 5.9 yard per carry average) before breaking his leg. His best performance last year was a 253 yard rushing effort on 23 carries with 4 TDs (thats 10+ yards per carry).

While he may never have qualified academically, there is no question that Messam is a very talented RB and can play at a very high level. After his sophomore year at North Dakota State many compared him to Bo Jackson (it's in the article).

The Jets need a power back and Messam would be a great guy to bring in. He is just as big as Brandon Jacobs but faster. Think about that.

14. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Do not worry, dudes. The Jets are fine at RB. Don't be Nervous Nellies!

15. zeike

zeike New Member

Ruby-Ruby

They can always pick up Droughns if someone gets injured prior to week 5...

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'm not worried at all as long as Leon sees a lot more action this year. More carries and more catches would be great.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

thats one thing people arent realizing. im starting to think thomas jones just cant get it done especially since i seem to watch holes open and close only to watch jones bash in for another pedestrian 1-3 yard carry. yet leon gets the ball explodes through the line and were talking at least 3-5.

id like to see leon get at least 14 carries a game.

18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

And games where you want to run out the clock. Plus we know the Mangini mantra of changing the playbook week to week for a specific opponent. Somedays, bombs away, others, pound the rock.

19. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Good total, I would like close to 20 total touches. 10-15 carries, 5 receptions, something like that.

20. Gloom N Doom

Gloom N Doom Member

There won't be any "pound the rock" this year. Everything is riding on Favre's arm. If anything happens to #4, the lack of depth at RB will be exposed and the whole season will be a bust.

We've gone from talking about a power running game after the acquisitions of Faneca and Woody to "Air Tangini" since Favre arrived.