Question to Ratliff lovers...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsLookingforDWare, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Tight

Tight Active Member

my thing is he cant be any worse then Clemens .

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Depends on the player when it comes to this board and preseason... you know who i'm talking about :wink:

:rofl:
    Good thing I was a drummer as a kid, and am getting back into the craft now... its called a "rimshot"

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Exactly. I've always said Clemens had zero pocket awareness and that he needed to fix it. I will say he looked better in the pocket but didn't take control of the offense like I feel he needed to. While Ratliff was playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers he looked like he was in full control of the offense. It definitely isn't all about stats.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Chad was named the starter before TC last year, Clemens with no pressure performed really well in TC and preseason last year. Ratliff had zero pressure this year and performed really well in TC and preseason this year.

Ratliff stands nice and tall in the pocket and looks to be confident in the pocket and delivers a good ball. Clemens is much more comfortable working out of the shot gun, he has a great release, but he is very jumpy coming out from center.

Looking around the league, QB development isn't very good. Probably because most college QB come out of a spread formation and aren't NFL ready. I can see the pros and cons to both of these guys. I can also see why Clemens was a high draft pick and Ratliff wasn't he has better natural tools. At this point neither one of them is costing us much money. Clemens will have to be resigned at some point next year if we want to keep him.

Looking around the NFL today, dumping either of these guys while neither costs us much seems like a mistake. Clemens has natural tools and apparently is very smart, Ratliff looks like he might have some real potential. In this league both of them still have enough value to keep developing. We need two good QB's anyway and if they both develop into starting material to the point where we can't afford both, we will end up getting great value in trade for one of them down the line.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Your "smart" comment about KC is interesting maybe because he is so smart he is thinking to much which delays his decision making process enough allowing the other side to better defend the play

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

That was Pennington's biggest issue when he first got here too...Overthinking everything.

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Was it? It seemed like he had his most success when he first got in there, before he kept getting hurt. Of course he had 2+ seasons to watch Vinny and learn from the sidelines. Clemens, however, had 1-1/2 seasons to do the same.

8. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

My main knock on Ratliff (right now) is that he tends to "lock onto" (read stare down) his receivers. Its a rookie mistake that can be fixed over time. To be honest, the one thing that I'm very happy about is that we now have a strong armed starting QB (Favre) to show these guys (both of whom have similar strengths) how to get the ball down-field as compared to Chad who used to float his passes and just go for short yardage completions most of the time.
    Think about it, how many teams in the NFL would love to have our "Problem" with Clemmens and Ratliff on the bench?

9. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I disagree. Your just making excuses for guys that don't have the makeup to be a good QB in this league. If Carr's career was "ruined" because he is traumatized by a bad o-line then he didn't have the attitude needed to make it in this league. You have to take your licks and keep getting better. You know what, our line was bad last year but I wanted to see Clemens take the hits and then get back up with more resolve and make a play. Instead he gave us nothing. I think Mangini put Chad in that second game against the Patriots because he knew Clemens would be eaten alive by that team so he made up some fluke injury to save him the embarrassment. Mangini know he doesn't have what it takes otherwise we would be ushering in the Kellen Clemens error this Sunday. The truth is Pennington would have won the job because Clemens doesn't have what it takes to be successful in this league. He couldn't even beat out a second year undrafted free agent for the backup QB job. I would love nothing more to be completely wrong about Clemens but I have a feeling it's more likely he will looking for a job next season elsewhere.

10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

are you kidding??? so who plays when favre retires possibly after this season? like....you??? it makes perfect sense to have him watch a 38 year old favre play all year and have that tool there...i think so far like...you like...make like...no sense

11. JetsLookingforDWare

[​IMG]

Why would you want a guy whose never taken a snap QB'ing a team that can contend?

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

difference between the two QBs is POISE

thats a big difference folks... Ratliff has worked hard and takes a confident stride behind center.

He just has the "it" factor i think

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The point about Chad thinking too much came out of camp each year before he actually got in there and played. That was definitely the take the CS had on him.

14. Italian Seafood

Interestingly, he also held him out of the Tennessee game. The Titans were battling Cleveland for a playoff spot and Mangini is good friends with Romeo Crennel. Perhaps it was the extent of the injury, but the conspiracy theorist in me tends to wonder about that. Clemens was back in the following week for a game we were probably better off losing.

15. Italian Seafood

That's possible. There wasn't much chance of Chad replacing Vinny until the four straight losses in 2002. Up to then Vinny was the most successful QB we had since Namath, probably including Namath.