Gholston regressing?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Lord, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

im not surprised and no one should be, i didnt want gholston but i did support the pick cause he was gonna be a jet. Hopefully he can turn it around cause we need him to work out bad.

2. revis024

revis024 New Member

hahahahaha, so do you have a life by any chance?

3. Just when I forget how much I despise Patriot fans...they invade an innocent thread about a developing rookie.

Sometimes I think It'd be nice if Boston went up in flames. I'd be out of a job..but I think sports would be alot more enjoyable.

4. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

This is exactly what happens when you draft an 'athlete' and not a football player. Reminds me of the time the Jets drafted Jeff Lageman and shouts rang out all thru Jets land "Jeff who!!". Turned out to be a good choice because he was a football player and had a decent career with the Jets and later with the Panthers. Harris/Lowrey/Revis are football palyers. Gholston, will need to get pff his rump if all he thinks just being athletic is all you need to get by.

5. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

That's right, you also said Russell was going to be a huge star too.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

See there is that Roy again. At least he spells his name without all caps, but is Darren going to the "other team" by going for him?? Is Roy that cute?

7. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

He knows going for roy is only sure way not to get an illegitimate kid.

8. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Banned

Wow, so now I know you follow the Pats wins and nothing else.

Willis was the 12th overall pick in that draft, Jets traded up to 14th and got Revis.

So how do the Jets get Willis??

A round later, they pick up David Harris who had half the stats Willis had in half the games played. Do the math.

You lose.

I meant that you should have taken Jerod Mayo, I know you didn't have a shot at Willis.

This year, you asked who should the Jets have drafted based on how the first 5 picks fell, well for one thing, you signed your pass rusher Calvin Pace, he's your projected pass rushing DE, don't you think a trade down into the 12-16 range and drafting DRC would have been the way to go to pair him up with Revis ? How's that ? You're coach crapped the bed and went with the "hype pick" Gholston. A guy that many said took alot of plays off in college and picked and chose his times to play and bull rush offensive lineman half his strength. With no moves on the edge, he can't bull rush guys that are just as strong if not stronger than him now and it's already showing up. Is it early, ofcourse it is, but c'mon, he's been going against 3rd string tackles and he was invisible, that is alarming, game 3/4 or not.

9. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

Here is a better idea. How about pick a guy named Dwight Lowery who has really been impressive, in the 4th round to pair him up with Revis instead of trading down and picking DRC. By staying put at 6 and picking up Gholston we also have a physical beast to pair him up with high priced FA pickup, Pace.

I bet you haven't watched a single Jets preseason game. You are just a troll. Out of all the topics, you pick this one so you can rile people up with your nonsense.

10. revis024

revis024 New Member

hey guys im gunna go troll on a buffalo bills forum since joining rival team messageboards are the cool thing to do!

11. Pride

Pride New Member

You are so full of crap . Jerod Mayo has had troubles shedding blocks in preseason, its blantantly obvious watching game tape and your pats fans over at patsfans.com know it. Secondly Chad Jackson is one down year from being a bust. He is runnign terrible routes, dropping easy passes, once again I defer to your fan base already roasting the guy. Next, Calvin pace was not brought in to be our ten plus sack guy. He was brought here for his great versatility of playing some ILB, great coverage skills, and pass rushing ability. Unlike Pace, Gholston will be used similar in that Merriman fashion of blitzing often. Why would we take another ILB when we already have a very promising one? This team had issues generating a basic pass rush last year, no shit we took the best pass rusher available with an immense amount of talent. Under no circumstance do you let a player with his upside sniff going to the Patriots. Its preseason yet you have this man pegged as a bum. Give it time. He has time to develope other pass moves but I see no reason why he can not be a dominant rusher with is primary move being the bull rush. Isn't that the move used primarily by Strahan, Kampman, and Schobel? When we took him we knew he was a project. excuse me if at the end of his rookie preseason he looks lost.

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I was screaming from the rooftops, my friends on TGG's Draft section know too well how I felt Gholston was an extremely risky selection. Living in Columbus, I've seen Gholston's entire career and so far he's the same luckluster, one-trick-pony for the Jets (hasn't even had much success getting his hands on the QB,). I never thought Gholston could adapt to playing in coverage, it wasn't what he did at OSU. Gholston will only be succesful rushing the QB, he's not and never will be a COMPLETE OLB. To be #6 pick money for a one-trick-pony is a terrible blunder. Gholston just isn't a complete football player in the sense he doesn't have football instincts, which IMO is very important. VG has all the physical tools, but not the instincts & desire (That's right.... he lacks the true love of the game) to become a complete player.

Rich....you brought up a good point, at # 6 the Jets were forced into drafting VG..............the Jet's should have pursued trading down.

#172 WW85, Aug 30, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Well for guys like Raiderjoe, lets be honest, no one wants him on their Raider boards, if there even is such a thing.

14. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

disgusting response.

15. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I really want to know who was a better "pick" at that point than Gholston?

We had a garbage pass-rush, we all hate Bryan Thomas, and did I mention we had a garbage pass-rush?

All the way leading up to the weekend it was DMC-Gholston-Ryan.

I definitely don't want to hear "Should of taken Keith Rivers, or Mayo, whatever." because NOBODY mentioned those guys on here.

16. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

C'mon. How can you call someone who has potential to be a great pass rusher a "one trick pony." By that account, guys like Osi, J. Peppers, D. Freeny, M. Williams, W. Smith, D. Burgess, P. kearny, J. Allen, and other great pass rushers shouldn't get any accolades since they are also "one trick pony." Jets are not going to ask Gholston to play the OLB position like Derrick Brooks played for the Bucs. He will primarily be a pass rusher 65% of the time he is on the field. If you are a natural pass rusher, it will not be that hard of a transition to play 3-4 OLB (check Calvin Pace and Greg Ellis).

17. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

zzzzzzzzzz.....................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...................... yawn

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I don't think anybody mentioned Mayo as a round 1 possibility, but I did mention Rivers before the draft.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=820276&postcount=3

19. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

As in that he wouldn't fit in a 3-4 defense? I don't think so.

I think he could play in the 3-4 or 4-3.
    At Southern California he played with his hand on the ground sometimes. He was a very good blitzer.
    He was also pretty good in coverage from what I remember.

He could play inside or outside linebacker in the NFL.

He is more similar to Calvin Pace than Vilma.