Gholston regressing?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Lord, Aug 28, 2008.

1. ncjetfan

ncjetfan Member

Im not down on VG at all, from what ive seen he isnt playing with a lot of speed right now which I totally attribute to his lack of a grasp on his defensive responsibilities. Didnt see last nights game but watched the others multiple times and i saw a player who only used a bullrush. I think he is impressive in that he routinely overpowers tackles trying to block him and its consistent whether they are starters or not. He is concerned with contain as well, which might explain his tendency to try to apply pressure by going through his guy and not around him. He will get a feel for what will work best for him as he gains experience and when he does he will dominate! He is just to gifted not to be successfull.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Have you followed the NFL long? Just b/c a guy is a top 5 pick doesn't mean he has to be great day 1. Certain players take longer to develop and we knew he was a bit of a project even though we took him as high as we did. At best he was going nto be a sitruational pass rusher this yera, he wasn't drafted to start right away. This is not like Adalius Thomas getting a boatload of money and doing virtually nothing in nhis 1st year w/ the Pats, this is a rookie who is changing positions.

Robertson developed here, he was excellent in the 4-3, it wasn't his fault the team changed coaches and schemes.

Do you think it's fair if we allow players to actually play in regular season games before we label them busts?

3. JetsLookingforDWare

Thomas did nothing for the Pats? Really? I hope Gholston has a nothing season like that.

4. nyjunc

What exactly did he do? he was invisible most of the year. His sack total was almost cut in half from the contract year, he had less tackles. His #s were far woprse across the board. he had the one nice INT against SD in week 2 other than that did we hear anything about him?

Yes I'd like Gholston to play like Thomas did last year but I have higher expectations for him long term. Adalius Thomas was a dissapointment a year ago. I expect him to be alot better in year 2 but year 1 he was not great.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

Eh...I guess I don't see how a 6.5 sack, 2 FF, 1 INT, 8 PD season from an ILB is all that bad...I'm not sure the Pats have had production like that from an ILB in a long time...and that was only his first season in their system.

6. nyjunc

He had 11 the season before and he got a few sacks late in the season in meaningless games to bring his total up to 6.5.

7. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Banned

Bust city..............................

8. JetsLookingforDWare

Playing OLB and ILB...in a D that blitzes more...keep in mind that the Pats own the best 3-4 DL in the NFL and send more 3 man blitzes than any team in the NFL...

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

hows Meriweather?

10. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Banned

Brandon is coming along nicely, plus Jerod Mayo is looking like Pat Willis (the guy you should have drafted) you'll see real soon :)

#130 BradyToMoss, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  11. JetsLookingforDWare

True...we're all really crying we didn't draft Willis...it's not like we drafted a guy just as good a whole round later PLUS got the best CB in the division 2 picks after Willis was chosen...fucktard Pats fans man..

12. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

...and Chad Jackson for that matter? Didn't you guys move up 16 spots in the 2006 Draft to get this guy with the 36th pick?

13. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Banned

...and Chad Jackson for that matter? Didn't you guys move up 16 spots in the 2006 Draft to get this guy with the 36th pick?

You must have missed Chad's TD last night. He's another guy that you'll see soon enough, he's been hurt, he's healthy now and is ready to explode.

Meriweather, Chad Jackson and Jerod Mayo will be impact players this year.

14. JetsLookingforDWare

Gotta agree with the Pats fans...I've heard nothing good about Jackson, May, and Merriweather...believe it or not fellow Jets fans but its possible that guys drafted 3 whole years ago (or less) might be something...I know it's a crazy concept to *not* think of a non-instant impact player as anything but a bust...but it's true that young players do this "developing" thing we ignore.

15. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

A WHOLE TOUCHDOWN!? ALL BY HIMSELF?! Wow. We better put Revis on this guy.

16. ncjetfan

ncjetfan Member

Hows chad jackson doing?

didnt see this dickheads response, sorry.

17. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I won't take dues away from where they're deserved. I've watched Mayo play and he looks good. I haven't "heard" anything on Jackson but what I've seen him do on the field didn't impress. Before last night's game, Chad had 34 yds in 2 preseason games. He had a good amount of time on the field on the 1st preseason game against the Ravens and managed nothing the entire game. One series it looked like he ran the wrong route and the Ravens D got the easy pick. Against the Buccs he had 12 of his 2 receptions, 17 total yards in garbage time. Next game against the Eagles, he had another whopping 17 total yards.

So what? Jackson got a TD last night in the 4th preseason game. Big deal. You know who else got TD's last night? Raymond and Ball. That doesn't mean they'll make the team.

18. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Banned

Chad Jackson has been playing this whole preseason with "stiffs" for QBs who couldn't get him the ball.

Wait til he gets on the field with Brady...............

19. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Should I expect...more...picks...for Brady...?!

20. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Banned

Why would you expect more picks from Brady? He's in the prime of his career after throwing 50 TDs and 8 Ints last season.

Seriously, what's up with Gholston ? Of all of the top 10 picks, people said he had the highest "Bust Potential" and so far it's looking like that's the case. I know it's early and you have to give the guy time, but you guys have to be concerned.