Gholston regressing?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Lord, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Lemmiwinks

Lemmiwinks Member

Vilma was very effective right after Cowart got hurt. Harris at least showed something. Gholston hasn't shown anything yet.

2. Grogan

Grogan Banned

This is just a foolish point of view, while it's foolish to lable him a bust before game 1, it's just as foolish say that a top five pick shouldn't be expected to be an impact player right away. 1st off you don't draft a developmental Player with a top 10 pick much less a top 5. You would think the Jets have learned that with D-Rob the D-Slob, who is still trying to "develop" out in Denver.

3. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

But, I just don't think that "right away" means by the fourth pre-season game.

Ya'll boys need to hold your water a little bit more.

When you take a look at other guys who are the same personality type and in this situation that Gholston has / is in, you will see what kind of a transition period is more likely.

If you want to know about an apple you don't compare it to a cumquat.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Nobody is asking him to look like an all pro right now. All they are asking is that he doesn't look like a walk on which he does. Somebody said it earlier, if we didn't have 30 or 40 million dollars invested in him he might not make the team right now. Just think about that.

5. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I think that what we as fans see is hardly equal to what the CS is seeing. The fact that they keep putting him out there in these pre-season games indicates that they are working hard on him.

I must confess I didn't look at David Harris last year as closely as we're all looking at Gholston now, so it's very difficult to draw any meaningful comparison.

Still, somehow, I don't think that pissing all over Gholston after the 4th pre-season game is the best strategy to get the most from him, while he is still wondering WTF is happening.

6. JetsLookingforDWare

How...the fuck...does he prove himself as a bust after one season?

Seriously...what is wrong with you people?

I can see being annoyed with his lack of "excitement factor" in the friggin preseason...but the amount of times the word "bust" has been written in this thread is retarded.

So when does he officially become a bust? It's been a full preseason now...whats he got til...week 3 or 4 now to show us what he'll do over the course of an entire career?

7. Ive been saying for a long time: Being selected top 10 b y the jets is a death sentence. You're considered a bust by the third day of TC

8. revis024

revis024 New Member

wasnt gholston originally a defensive end? the whole change to linebacker might take a bit of time. plus its preseason, like anyone really cares? the pats went 0-4 this preseason. is that whole team a bust now???

9. Grogan

Grogan Banned

Two things:

1. He shouldn't be considered a bust after one season.

2. As for how people can think that, it's simple, because there will be quite a few players taken much later than #5 overall, be making much less$$ and making big impacts on their teams this year.

10. Grogan

Grogan Banned

11. revis024

revis024 New Member

i dont see why anyone would think that. has anyone paid any attention to their preseason stats during those title years? (not that they really matter, but still) they were like 1-3, 2-2, and maybe 1-3 again?

i dont think there done at all, offensively atleast. losing both starting corners might hurt a little bit though.

12. Grogan

Grogan Banned

It's the difference between what fans "want" and what "is". :up:

13. whatacotch

whatacotch Member

watching gholston so far he is always one step behind making a play, i think by mid-season he will start producing and living up to his potential. that is i hope anyway.

14. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

just for comparison's sake....does anyone know if Chris Long is doing well?

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Long is struggling on almost an equal footing, but since its St. Louis, no one will pay attention to it here. I give the edge to Long due to his DNA, but the both of them will take time.

Just swap players. :lol:

16. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

he's not doing great. much like when talking about gholston the word "learning" is still used a lot

17. KSJets

KSJets New Member

There was one play that was shown on Sportscenter after Long's first game, where he lined up as RDE and it was a running play and he was basically pushed all the way across the line creating a gaping hole for the RB to get through. I haven't heard anything else about his progress though.

18. JetTalk

JetTalk New Member

Nobody is asking Gholston to jump off the screen and make great plays. I am simply asking him to make the routine play, show good technique, show me you know how to play football. If Chansi Stuckey can go out there and cover a reciever somewhat fundamentally, I assume someone who has been playing defense for the past ___ years of their lives can make a read or simple tackle in the open field. It's not that the guy hasn't shown me enough....its the fact that he has shown me nothing. If you wouldve told me that either Murrell or Gholston was drafted 6th......I would say Murrell, hands down. In general, in no way am I calling him a bust yet...that'll come later on...I am simply saying that this guy has shown no signs of being NFL pro...minus the jersey on his back. Regardless of position change, if your on that field, you will have the chance to make a play or two...he is not.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well I have not yet seen the game but in reading thru this thread & what I read it is extremely distressing since he was playing vs bubble players & should have starred in the game. What is more disturbing is the comments that he has no instincts which I have commented on from his earlier games. For all the naysayers & defenders of VG the one thing that is not coachable are instincts which is the "it" factor that most experts mentioned. They are also something you do not acquire you either have them or you dont. That is what seperates the stars of the league from the also rans

#119 championjets69, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Exactly. Just the basics. When I first heard people saying he looked terrible I paid it no mind, even posted that it is only the preseason. But last night I looked for him and the things people pointed out weeks ago. And there I did see the same exact things. He needs more time, I hope it works out, that is all. But the whiffs on tackles and such are maddening to watch. I guess I just expect too much out of first rounder.