Gholston regressing?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Lord, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Tight

Tight Active Member

The thing about gholston is he doesnt even look like a scary defender.. Julius peppers, mario williams, demarcus ware all these guys look like football players.. Gholston looks like a fucking earth science teacher.../

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He does look dumb out there. Very Doofus like. But I hope to christ he can average 7-9 sacks a year.

3. JetsLookingforDWare

Julius Peppers = 6 year pro.

Ware = 3 year pro.

Williams = 2 year pro.

Like...WTF man...where do people...fuck it...

4. JetsLookingforDWare

Please everyone reading this thread note: Gholston has yet to play his first real NFL game...let alone first year....

Not that I'm saying that that should get in the way of the fuckin sky falling...but just note...cool?

5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Jesus...label the guy a bust before he even plays a regular season game. I'll admit it doesn't look good but for better or worse we have the guy for the next few years. Lets give him a little more time then a preseason before we pass judgment.

6. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

Seems there are 3 types of people responding to this thread.

Type A: People who are panicking and their index finger is shaking with about 2 feet away from the red button.

Type B: People who are a bit disappointed because Gholston has yet to show any flash of what he is supposed to do, but still has high hopes for him and willing to give him more time.

Type C: Over defensive about this situation and are mistaking the people who are a bit disappointed with people who are trying to run Gholston out of town.

I would just like to say, people who belong to Type A and B, do not get your panties in a bunch. If you think he is already a bust, please....please just throw some water on your face and calm down. If you think everything is all good and we have nothing to worry about, please....please just wake the hell up and contribute to this thread without the use of sarcasm.

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

great post zonebuster. i think we should start a poll to see where people think they are on the subject. i would have to say i am in the b section but may seem a little to the a side due to trying to explain to the c types that i am in the b section. :)

8. Phear

Phear New Member

heh, i've lived in texas for a few years now since i was stationed here, mario williams was horrible his first year and every texan fans were bashing him all year long "shoulda took young" dont hear too much of that now, it's way too early to give up on gholston or call him a bust.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Heh is right. He had 47 tackles and 5 sacks playing DE. What did they expect in Texas? Michael Strahan? Last year he had 59 tackles and 14 sacks and now they consider him the best pick of the 06 draft by far. The improvement came in his pass rush tecnique but he was still good in his first year.

Gholston played the entire game against scrubs last night and got 2 tackles. There is definitely reason to worry.

#69 Don, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  10. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

maybe he just took off the pre-season :rolleyes:

11. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

There are also people who said before the draft that Gholston changing to an all around OLB from being just a pass rusher was a MAJOPR MAJOR MAJOR transition....

I think the Jets staff threw VG into the fire and put him in positions this offseason that were way above his head just to show him how tough the road will be and how far he's got to go...

When the season starts - VG will and should be a situational pass rusher off the bench.

Did people think we Drafted an OLB????????????

I wasn't gushing over VG at the draft but, he did fall to us and was the concensus pick, so it's hard to kill it but, you have to realize he's A PROJECT......

You don't think you take a project that early?? Then LESSON LEARNED next draft you follow don't go all ga ga for a player who is projected at a position he never played before.... Funny how there were 1000's of posts fawning over this guy and the same people are jumping off bridges....

Well, lesson learnded

12. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Mario had to make a MUCH easier transition to NFL DE....

VG has a MUCH tougher road....

I still have Mario as my avatar on another board in Jets Green and I plauded that pick from day 1...... I ABSOLUTELY LOVED MARIO WILLIAMS...

Vernon Gholsotn - not so much.

TOTALLY different case with a player transitioning to OLB....

A lot of people here are just showing their lack of knowledge about OLB's and DE's and the 3-4 defense all transitioning from the college game.

That's ok - We live and learn and there are alot of newbie youngster's here....

Gholston is A PROJECT....

Next draft you kiddies won't get all excited for the next guy with a freakish body - Next draft we'll have more people saying "Hmmm, are we sure we want to gamble on a guy learning a new position?????"

Hey I'm 110% Behing Gholston though - at this point I don't expect a damn thing from him this year and I have confidence in this staff that they drafted him knowing he was able and willing to EVENTUALLY become a force at OLB.

13. Don

Yeah, and that's the problem. I wish Al Davis had been enamored with him so that McFadden had fallen to us or I wish we had been able to trade up to get him.

14. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

As far as Gholston goes, I am very willing to have patience. I think we really need to wait until after the bye before we put him under the microscope and examine potential and upside.

So far, I can see people's reasons for concern. Currently, he is playing like he is very frustrated and having a hard time adjusting to the assignments on any given play.

They always talk about how the QB has to know the playbook inside and out before the game can start to slow down for him and I think the same sort of thing applies here. I think the guy still needs a chance to learn and adapt. Then things should start to slow down for him - right now, I think they are coming at him too fast.

15. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

people need to remember that Vilma and Harris didn't really come on til the end of their rookie seasons'....

16. Don

I don't think that's true at all although they weren't at the top of their games in week 1. Both were really good by week 4 or 5 though.

17. notajduhe

notajduhe Member

Can anyone say Matt Jones ? A guy surges up the charts based on projecting him at a new position. Maybe he works out, maybe he doesn't. That's an awful gamble at 7 million a year of cap space. Even if he works out in a year or 2 thats a lot of capspace torched for the hope of future production. What I find alarming is that even when he rushes the passer he's not a factor. Don't start with the Long comparisons, because I was never high on long. Long is also a small DE (275). Small DE's better be lights out fast to play in the NFL or else a 315 OT will maul him. Long is not fast. Long is a small technique guy. I thought, and continue to think he has bust written all over him.

18. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

I couldn't agree more some of our fellow fans need to be patient with this guy. Hopefully by midseason Gholston will be a factor rushing the passer at the very least.

19. Tight

Tight Active Member

No you misunderstood me, who cares how long they all played peppers was scary looking the min he stepped on the field, wiliiams was busting his ass it just wasnt clicking, ware monster..

This guy is not scary looking thats all im saying...`

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Were talking about fundamentals here, not coverage and such. He seems timid tackling and just tries to push guys out of bounds. I just want to see the basics. I know he is going to struggle with the more complex parts of the D. I see him trying to just bull rush every play as well. No other moves?